Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

First words

tc0104tc0104 Posts: 579 ✭✭
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
What and when were you're little ones first words? Laney says things that sound like hi when waving, mama when she really wants me, and dog (couple of times).

Comments

• Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Esther started really early, but then again she's surrounded by incredibly hyper verbal people who talk all the time. (The 21 month old that H takes care of has been saying things like chiropractor, humidifier, and supercalifragisisticexpialidocious for months now! In fact, she could say chiropractor when we still lived in Boston, so she was only 16 months old. She also uses pronouns correctly and sings about 15 full songs.)

Anyway, point being, Esther said Mama at three months; Hi, Mama, and Mom at four months. Now at seven months she says those plus yeah, dog, and yay (when she gets milkies!)
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    OMG - I can't remember Kate's first word. Seriously, cannot. What's worse is that I remember Ardens. She said baby (about Kate) when she was around 13/14 months old. Late talker yes but at almost 3.5 now you'd never know it.

Wow, I need to go look this up. I sure hope I wrote it down somewhere!
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shanny, I wonder if you talked about it on here somewhere! I find if I forget to write something down I can come here and look back and generally find something about it! Ha ha! Guess we're on here a lot!
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    twicejesstwicejess Posts: 228
    edited November -1
    I am with Shanny. I CANNOT remember. This is a very LOW mom moment for me! I know she was saying mama around 7 months, and she knew the difference between us (mama and mommy) around 9 months. And dog was around that time. Really once she hit 1...I couldn't keep track.
    She is 28 months now and she just blows us away with the stuff she says. She speaks full on sentences. She still sometimes says "you wants a snack"...meaning "I want a snack". It's amazing how quickly it all comes together!
  • Options
    Shaeley MaeShaeley Mae Posts: 1,731
    edited March 2011
    My 17 month old still hasn't said anything that I'm willing to count as a word.
    "mama" and "dada" ..... sure ..... since she was tiny. But I'm on the side of the fence that believes those are just the easiest noises for a baby to make. To this day I don't think she has any idea that I'm "Mama". She never says it to me or about me.
    She's attempted things like bringing me her shoes and saying "ba ba" for bye bye, or pointing to Oscar the Grouch and saying "oc-uh", or "ca ca" for cracker, or "ha!" for hot, etc. But until it's resonably articulate and intentional, I'm not counting it as a word. So ...... I'm still waiting .....
    IMG_0408-rs.jpgIMG_7844-rs.jpg
  • Options
    LKLK Posts: 711
    edited November -1
    I am with Shaely with what really counts as a word. I really don't remember what either of my kids first words were but Paige was talking in complete, articulate sentences before her first birthday and it took Beck a little longer. I know people think that their kid is this awesome talker because their parents talk all the time or whatever but IMO a kid is just who THEY are. It really makes me laugh when people say that their child is so verbal because they (the parents) talk all the time---Paige and Beckham were brought up exactly the same way and in so many ways, including verbally, they are so different. Both kids are/were very gifted athletically but Beckham athletic ability is far my advanced than any toddler I have ever seen whereas I have never heard a baby/toddler talk the way Paige did. I guess everybody is really good at something and my kids are just really good at different things. Paige is almost 20 and she still hasn't shut up--maybe some higher power knew I could not handle another 20 years of non stop talk--lol
  • Options
    rara-0313rara-0313 Posts: 115
    edited November -1
    Olive's first word was pie(my cat's name) at about 7 or 8 months following that was my nephew's name(because we are always yelling it LOL) she just started saying mama and mommy(I wasn't sure if she would, I grew up in a home where I called my mother by her first name) hearing her say mama instead of my first name sounds so weird!. She knows a lot of words now and I'm always shocked at what comes out her mouth! She can even count to 10!
  • Options
    melmel Posts: 793
    edited November -1
    I don't know when any of my kids said their first word but it was "mama" for all three of them. It's just tough - they would make the "ma" sound but we weren't sure it was meaningful to them for a very long time. And then suddenly it was obviously meaningful, but probably had been for a bit. Anyway, I don't think I wrote anything in their book for first words though I have lots of other things. I don't count random sounds all babies make as first words (ba, ma, da, etc.) and it's really subtle when the babble changes to speech, so it was hard to tell.
    Jjr6m5.png
  • Options
    coryandamandacoryandamanda Posts: 1,527
    edited November -1
    Lex was a really early talker. I know she said baby when she was like 6 months old. Haidyn spoke much later, but she speaks more clearly than Lex, so maybe that is the trade off!
    July 4, 2015
    image_2.jpgu
  • Options
    sara291sara291 Posts: 1,042
    edited November -1
    Riley started saying mama at 11-months. We talk all the time to him and read books 24/7 as well but he just seems a little slower. He until 10 months or so hardly said any sounds just a aaaaa screaming or babbling now he says all kinds of sounds and mama.
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    I don't remember when but her first word was "hi!"
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    babybaby, when she said "da-da" was she referring to her father?

Mine made the "da" sound first and said that, but for us it was just babble and not a meaningful word.
    Jjr6m5.png
  • Options
    babybabybabybaby Posts: 1,564
    edited November -1
    @mel: nope. he'd like to think so, but he's fooling himself. she began saying it when she was with me, not with him, and it wasn't because she was missing him (she won't even let him hold her). what she says now is all just babble. she doesn't associate it with anyone or anything. she'll just lay there or sit there, play with her feet, and babble.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    oh, see, then I would not consider that a first word. for me, words have meaning. I really think this is one of the main reasons there is such a giant range of ages when first words appear.
    Jjr6m5.png
  • Options
    tc0104tc0104 Posts: 579 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Laney says dada constantly but since she has two moms and no frame of reference for a dada...we don't count that...lol. She does spend a lot of time with my aunt and uncle and his name is Denny, sometimes we call him Den Den so sometimes her dada sounds like den den but I wouldn't call it a word yet. Although he is the only person that she will kiss on the cheek on demand, not even her mothers :(
  • Options
    IbelieveIbelieve Posts: 471
    edited November -1
    I guess Zayden is going to be a late talker. He babbles a lot especially mama and dada but I have yet to hear him say a meaningful word. I am not too worried as he seems to be focused on physical development more at the moment than language which is totally normal.
    Sometimes I think he is saying mama to me because he will say it as he is coming towards me and looking at me but then he will keep on saying it as he is playing or crawling away. lol
  • Options
    cAtWmN84cAtWmN84 Posts: 462
    edited November -1
    you all may think i;m crazy but adri was 2 months old and she said "hi" after i said it to her.her cousin did the exact same thing at the same age too.after that it was mama and then nini.lol.
    yqOs9SZ.jpgyqOsm5.png
    Qkvimpd.jpgQkvim4.png
    dxnZweE.jpgdxnZm5.png