Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Temporal Scan Thermometers

CharmedCharmed Posts: 205
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
How can they be the most accurate measurment when if I take three in a row, they are all different!?! Soooo frustrating!

I bought the best, expensive temporal scan thermometer that I could find. It is the same one that our pedi uses, and I know that I am using it correctly, BUT it never gives the same reading twice so I am always second guessing it.

Anyone else have any issues with them?
combatbootsflipflops.jpg

DHLLm5.png

Comments

• Options
    friendamyfriendamy Posts: 588
    edited November -1
    I hate them :( I got the top of the line one and I had the same problems. my DS always moved or tried to look at it (thus moving) every time. I couldn't get an accurate reading on MYSELF, so I ditched it. it could be user error... but I tried it several times over two years and never got a useable reading.

my ped actually recommended an in ear one and I've used that since DS was an infant (as well as rectal, from birth till around 1)
    Amy (39)
    DS (7) - d#470
    Boy, n.: a noise with dirt on it.

age.png
  • Options
    jenoglvjenoglv Posts: 669 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I ditched mine and use the rectal one now.
    Jennifer SMBC, mama to Rhys.

2012-10-29003321-1.jpg
  • Options
    cAtWmN84cAtWmN84 Posts: 462
    edited November -1
    i use the ones they gave us from the hospital.sure its time consuming but they work.adri once stuck one down the sink drain in the bathroom.i couldn't find it for a month.i finally had to take the pipes underneath apart and found it along with about 5 toothbrushes.haha.anyway the thermometer still worked
    yqOs9SZ.jpgyqOsm5.png
    Qkvimpd.jpgQkvim4.png
    dxnZweE.jpgdxnZm5.png
  • Options
    LKLK Posts: 711
    edited November -1
    How off is it? We bought one after Becks first birthday (I have no idea if it is top of the line--I just got it at CVS). I thought it wasn't accurate so I bought an in the ear kind. Then I just would use the temporal scan and check it against the ear one and there was only difference of like .1 degree. I still hate the temporal one because even though I know the difference is small I still don't trust the reading. Becks pedi and our ER still use the in the ear kind so I will stick with that one for awhile.
  • Options
    Ronna71Ronna71 Posts: 144
    edited November -1
    The best thermometer for 2 and under in the rectal probe - it will always give the most accurate reading. I tried a temporal scannner once, too, and they are not consistently accurate. If my baby has a fever, I want to know exactly what it is, so I am going with the old fashioned way. :-)

Good luck!
  • Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited November -1
    I don't use the temporal one anymore. It was inaccurate from day 1. I use an ear thermometer, do both ears, and take an average. My doc says the two ears can differ, particularly if there's an ear infection in one ear.
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png