Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Birth certificate

GG0173GG0173 Posts: 1
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
Hi I was just wondering...... Im considering using an anonymous sperm donor . I am single and plan to do this on my own. does anyone have any idea on what a single woman puts on the birth certificate under the father if your donor is anonymous? I was told to seek legal councel but I was just wondering how anybody else has done it or will be doing it when the time comes. Thank you!

Best wishes to all!

gg0173

Comments

• Options
    coryandamandacoryandamanda Posts: 1,527
    edited November -1
    It is either left blank or says unknown. All you have to do is tell them in the hospital. It isn't a big deal.
    July 4, 2015
    image_2.jpgu
  • Options
    lavinalavina Posts: 23
    edited November -1
    It depends on the state how you fill out the forms. Some states are very big on paternity identity, but the hospital should know how to handle it.

We were laughing at the registration packet from our hospital. Less than 2 years ago the birth certificate was no big deal, now there is a two page document with instructions for single mothers and seperated mothers. And actual form has a box to be checked for AI conception with donor sperm; my doctor said the form is brand new. I don't like the new form especially since my husband is by our states legal definition responsible for paternity of this child and since we don't think its anyone's business how this child was concieved. However, I was told the hospital would check the box if we didn't based on the information in my medical records.
  • Options
    KNSKNS Posts: 399
    edited November -1
    I kind of wondered about this myself and maybe someone here has been in this situation. What if you need say food stamps or medicaide (state funded insurance) I know in VA and MI you have to name the father so they can get child support? If you are a SMBC and you need help how does that work?
    Karen
  • Options
    Shaeley MaeShaeley Mae Posts: 1,731
    edited November -1
    My daughter's is either blank or says "none".
    IMG_0408-rs.jpgIMG_7844-rs.jpg
  • Options
    friendamyfriendamy Posts: 588
    edited November -1
    when I filled it out, the lady who helps you said to leave it blank, so I did. on his official stamped BC, it's just blank :)
    Amy (39)
    DS (7) - d#470
    Boy, n.: a noise with dirt on it.

age.png
  • Options
    LauranLauran Posts: 992
    edited November -1
    Hi, and welcome!

I'm a SMBC and all the staff at the hospital knew I conceived via AI, no one made a big deal about it unless it was to say "You did it at HOME? By YOURSELF? Wow, that's awesome!"

Anyway the birth certificate--I left it blank and my son's BC says "Father Not Listed".
    8753d5b8-b427-43ab-84c1-768bae9fb46b.jpg179591c8-0980-4d54-bf49-65f3f46650c4.jpg
  • Options
    2moms2moms Posts: 731 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    C's birth certificate was just left blank :)
    Pzl2m5.png
    LNiUm5.png
  • Options
    aghhgghaghhggh Posts: 60
    edited November -1
    I read a story a little while back about a SMBC who later had to go on public assistance: http://www.choicemoms.org/blog/202/proving_my_childs_father_was_donor It deals with the birth certificate issue.

I wouldn't necessarily trust the hospital to automatically know how to handle things. Chances are they probably will, but it's best to be prepared in advance in case you have to advocate for yourself.
  • Options
    babyluvbabyluv Posts: 353
    edited March 2011
    @aghhggh thanks for posting that link I read that story. There is no father listed on my BC( I don't know why my mom didn't list him, I've known my dad all my life ) but I've never had any sort of problems with financial aid, for college, or any type of other personal /legal documents