Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Let's talk about pull ups

JebaJeba Posts: 280
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
Hello!! My two are basically potty trained. We have not ventured out of the house without a diaper on but will be doing that this weekend for the first time. At the house, they potty on their own without us having to ask them if they need to go but they still have full diapers after naps and bedtime. Should we continue to use diapers while they sleep? Should we use pull ups? I was thinking that maybe a pull up would still feel like a diaper so maybe I can find some cloth pull ups?? What did you use and why??
jj5wy0.jpg

2GbYm4.png

Comments

• Options
    friendamyfriendamy Posts: 588
    edited November -1
    for naps and overnight, I used pull ups - we called them his sleeping underpants. you can't "train" kids to wake up to go to the bathroom, that's a maturity thing.

I'm generally anti-pull ups because they ARE glorified diapers... but for overnights, I think they are necessary if your LOs are still wet in the morning.
    Amy (39)
    DS (7) - d#470
    Boy, n.: a noise with dirt on it.

age.png
  • Options
    lavinalavina Posts: 23
    edited November -1
    I always used pull ups at naps. I never had enough sheets and would need to wash them too often not to. I'm assuming since you are curious about using something that would make them feel more "wet" you are using disposables. Maybe try a cloth diaper at nap times. They are not as prone to leak as re-usable training pants are.
  • Options
    coryandamandacoryandamanda Posts: 1,527
    edited November -1
    We used both regular and cloth pullups at naps and overnight for Lex. She started staying dry at her naps very early on but it took her a good while to be overnight trained. She was day trained at 20 months old and couldn't stay dry overnight consistently until just after she turned 3. We had to be really strict for a while about stopping her drinking for about 1.5 hrs before bed and going to potty before bed. Now, a couple months later, she can drink whatever really and be fine overnight. We still try to limit drinking before bed, but a couple times she even fell asleep without going potty before bed and either still made it through the night or woke up in the night and went on the potty. It is like it just clicks one day and their body matures enough to hold the urine.
    The good thing about pullups is they go on like undies so I think it is more of a mental thing for them. We never used them during the day time though because despite the name they are not easy to pull up!
    oh and BTW the Pampers pullups suck and rip easily on the sides. The Huggies ones are much better or we even used store brand ones that are better than Pampers.
    July 4, 2015
    image_2.jpgu
  • Options
    fischfisch Posts: 570 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh the pull up.

We use them for naps & night as well. Our son can make it through nap at school just fine, but for some reason, really likes the privacy of his bedroom to poop in his pullup during "naptime". He doesn't sleep during this time, so it is actually "quiet time".
    Night time they are necessary. I hope not forever. We try not to worry about it. I have yet to find a brand/style that I like, but have had most consistent sucess for the huggies brand name pull up. Our son is already in the largest size though, so I feel like we are going to be in those big kid pant wetting pull ups before we know it.

The cloth pull ups didn't work for us overnight. As soon as my son felt wet he was devastated. Tears, bed changing, etc. at 1:00am = unhappy campers. Pullups, much like diapers "feel" dry, even when wet.
    age.png

age.png
  • Options
    twicejesstwicejess Posts: 228
    edited November -1
    We went cold turkey with Lauren. She was still wet after naps and in the morning but the first day of actually training where she "got it", she didn't want anything to do with diapers. Before this day she was waking up completely soaked, we always joked about the 8 lb diaper in the morning. She was also wet after her naps. But that first night she insisted on wearing her big girl panties...and wonder of wonders...she was dry in the morning. I think she had 1 or 2 nap accidents in the past 3 months. But only one night accident which was our fault, we had a movie night and we let her stay up a little later than normal, and let her have ginger ale. When we put her to bed I knew she was going to have an accident. BUT since that night, she has woken up to go potty.
    I think diapers and pull ups actually hinder and confuse the whole training process for some kids.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all of the responses!!
    jj5wy0.jpg

2GbYm4.png
  • Options
    old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited November -1
    My daughter would treat the pull ups just like a diaper and would be very lazy in them. My son is too old to be in them but is because his Mom is too tired after all these kids to clean up one more poopy pair of underpants!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was using them for naps....and overnight, until DD started asking for them....even though she'd never had an accident (well maybe the occasional) I realized that she KNEW the difference. So that was the end of that. we do potty before bed/nap - if she's being a REAL stinker there's maybe been an accident - but overall we're completely fine without.

They know the difference!!!! Oh but for long car rides or something (like trips) it's a pullup cause I'm not cleaning out a car seat and kid in a gas station bathroom!
    wMgFm5.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have heard that pull ups leak alot.. is this true for anyone here??
    jj5wy0.jpg

2GbYm4.png