Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Does blood type matter?

nessandwoodnessandwood Posts: 162
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
My DP is a A negative blood type and our donor was an O negative because I read that it can cause problems in a pregnancy if the father is a positive RH factor. Does that mean we shouldn't ever switch to a positive blood type donor? Would it make it more difficult for her to conceive a baby with a positive blood type? I have been thinking about it a lot latley, but is it also possible that the baby out of the blue could have a positive blood type? Just wondering and thought maybe you guys could help!
ttc-journey-1293343200z34z5z0z0z7z5z1z500-6-1-0.png

IMG_0663.jpg
1/2011 thru 9/2011 = 5 BFNs, 6th -10/22/2011 BFP-ending in misscarriage at 10 wks

Comments

• Options
    ChrysanthemumChrysanthemum Posts: 1,205 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is DP carrying?
    It really doesn't matter BUT if mom is neg she will have to get a shot of rhogam at about 7 months and again at delivery.
    It shouldn't cause any problems with conception
  • Options
    TheOtherLovingMomsTheOtherLovingMoms Posts: 1,481 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am rh neg, if it was me I would choose a donor who is also rh neg. There is a higher chance of miscarriage when an rh neg woman is pregnant from an rh pos donor.
    IGXwm4.png
    I just turned 50 and fabulous!!! Enjoying life with my amazing family!!
    Mom to Rachel 33, Bethany 30, Rebekah 30, Zachrey 20 and several angel babies
    Grandma to Larissa 11, Brittney 11, Trevor 11, Destiny 7, Jayvin 6, Jackxon 3, Kaleb Joshua Rian 1. Grandbaby #8, Sariah Grace born 11-17-16
  • Options
    solejeansolejean Posts: 344
    edited November -1
    From my research it appears to be safe - you just have to have the Rhogam shot. I have a beautiful son from a RH positive donor and I am RH negative. Here's some info I found online:
    being Rh negative by itself does not cause miscarriage or pregnancy loss. Women who are Rh negative, who have kept up to date with recommended RhoGAM shots, and who do not have antibodies against Rh factor do not face increased risk for pregnancy loss due to having Rh negative blood.

Assuming a woman does become sensitized to Rh factor, however, the primary risk is not of pregnancy loss but of Rh incompatibility issues with any future baby to whom she gives birth.
    8/10 - BFP MC at 10 weeks, 2/11 BFN, 3/11 BFP (monoamniotic twins lost at 16 weeks), 10/11 BFN, 1/12 BFN, 3/12 BFN, 5/12 BFP MC at 7 weeks, 10/12 BFP chemical, 1/13 BFP chemical, 3/13 BFP chemical, 7/13 BFN, 8/13 BFP and HCG doubling normally. Level at 21 DPO at 5759. It's a girl! Due 5/8/14.
  • Options
    nessandwoodnessandwood Posts: 162
    edited November -1
    Yes, dp is carrying and because I consider myself a professional "googler" I have done most of the research regarding anything ttc related, she wants to learn, but she feels like it is more valid if I research everything first! We went with donor 166L but I did want to possibly try another doner who was o positive and we were just concerned, I didn't want to potentially set us up for failure so we just went with a fellow RH negative donor.
    ttc-journey-1293343200z34z5z0z0z7z5z1z500-6-1-0.png

IMG_0663.jpg
    1/2011 thru 9/2011 = 5 BFNs, 6th -10/22/2011 BFP-ending in misscarriage at 10 wks