Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

elastic pants

fischfisch Posts: 570 ✭✭
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
Jack is 3.2 years and has been potty trained now for almost 3 months. We have lived in sweats and pretty much anything with elastic waistbands. I'm about to buy new summer clothes, but am hesitant to buy anything other than elastic waists. I am curious about how long it took your little one to learn buttons, snaps and zippers...we can wear them on the weekends when we are home and we can help, but at school he's got to do it all on his own. Sometimes he comes home with his little underwear all bunched up or twisted in his pants. He is learning to pull up underwear first and THEN the pants. I don't want to make it more complicated with buttons or snaps, but I feel like we are going to be wearing elastic FOREVER!
age.png

age.png

Comments

• Options
    friendamyfriendamy Posts: 588
    edited November -1
    my DS is 3.5 (he'll be 4 in june) and has been PT'd since his 2nd birthday.... we're STILL doing elastic. he just can't "get" the button. it's at a funky angle, if you think about it. he's just learning how to do the buttons on dolls... doing it upside down where you can't really see may take a while!

on the plus side, I've found some awesome "pull on" pants and shorts that aren't sweats or warm up pants!
    Amy (39)
    DS (7) - d#470
    Boy, n.: a noise with dirt on it.

age.png
  • Options
    coryandamandacoryandamanda Posts: 1,527
    edited November -1
    Lex can button her shirt but pants are much harder. I've never really thought about it because she doesn't go to school yet.
    So if you sent him to school in pants with a zipper and button and he couldn't get it closed they'd let him walk around all day with it open? That's weird.
    July 4, 2015
    image_2.jpgu
  • Options
    twicejesstwicejess Posts: 228
    edited November -1
    Lauren sometimes gets her snaps on her jeans but NEVER the zipper. At school I tend to send her in elastic but they still assist the kids in her room. (she's in the 2-3 age group room). I usually send her in elastic though to make it easier for them.
    There are some really cute shorts out there that have elastic.
    Good luck, he'll get those snaps/buttons/zippers soon!
  • Options
    lavinalavina Posts: 23
    edited November -1
    My oldest was failry independent by 4 with pants. My son who is 10 still only wears sweats, except when I force him to wear something nicer. Some boys are always only interested in comfort and ease.
  • Options
    fischfisch Posts: 570 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    C&A - the school will help, however Mr. Independent doesn't really want the help. Also, with about 15 other kids and 2 teachers, and my son waiting until the very last second to pee, I don't want to take any chances.

Lavina - that's what I'm afraid of! He doesn't like to wear his other clothes without elastic!!
    age.png

age.png
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    I never even thought of them having to be able to get into or out of clothes solo until Shiloh's babysitter asked me to bring her softer pants. I dressed Shiloh in little jeans on colder days. Having a girl is definitely easier. Planning to put her in dresses more as we progress in potty training. Um ... that's not going to work for little Jack though!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited November -1
    As a former first-grade teacher, I can attest that I was helping with zippers, buttons, and snaps most days. Oh, and skip the overalls altogether!
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png
  • Options
    lavinalavina Posts: 23
    edited November -1
    It's not helpful, but Abercrombie and Gap make nice sweatpants for when he gets older!

Seriously, you are not in a bad situation. You can get lots of pull on woven pants and short for little boys that are not athletic. Geranimals at Walmart makes them. They sell out fast so you need to get them when they come in no matter how ridiculously out of season they seem. Target gets them usually for the entire season. I was out shopping with my possible future SIL this weekend and bought some for the little guy and my big guy too. My only complaint was this year half the short were pull on and the other half had zippers and snaps. Crazy Eight and Gymboree usually have big selections. If you are a rewards member with Gymboree they will send their promotions to you and you can end up getting them for only a couple of dollars more than Target's versions. Gap usually has a few heavy twill and denim bottoms with rib knit waistbands and draw strings. And if you want an actual pair of pants Gap and sometimes Old Navy makes pants for little guys with zippers and slide bar hook closures with a faux button on the front of the pants. Much easier for them to use than an actual button. So if your willing to look and shop at multiple places, you can find pants and shorts that don't make your little man look like a junior bum! (But I can't guarantee when he gets bigger he will actually wear them!)