Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Age gaps

2moms2moms Posts: 731 ✭✭
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
Do you feel that there is an "ideal" age gap between baby #1 and baby #2? We are thinking about TTC baby #2 in July/August depending on when our house is done being built. If that cycle worked C would have just turned 2. Is that to soon...? It shouldn't be this hard but I don't want him to think that the "new" baby took his place!
Pzl2m5.png
LNiUm5.png

Comments

• Options
    g2mom2bg2mom2b Posts: 19
    edited November -1
    Wow. How cute is he with the cake! I love the pics!
  • Options
    fischfisch Posts: 570 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love those bday pics!

I have researched this topic endlessly, and even though our age gap is "set" I still look and read about this topic. It is fascinating, and there is no end to the opinions for and against specific age gaps. We aimed for a 2-2.5 year age gap (that's when we started trying for #2), and ended up with a probable 3.4 year age gap.

I couldn't be happier with the way things have worked out for us. Our son will be as "ready" as he can be when the new baby gets here. I am so glad that he got to be "the baby" for as long as he did, and I really think it is very likely that he will remember the birth (not the actual 'birth') of his baby sister and have memories of her as an infant. That is special to me.

On the other hand, I would have loved for him to have a playmate (other than me or my wife) right now. "Play with Me!" is a regular sentence in his vocabulary and I so want to say "Go play with Emerson" sometimes...(if she would hurry up and get here!!).

So good luck on your soul searching...you never know what age gap you will get...but it's fun to hear other's experiences, both with their own childhood and their current children.
    age.png

age.png
  • Options
    sara291sara291 Posts: 1,042
    edited November -1
    Z was 4 weeks away from turning 2. It was horrible!!! Given Riley was sick & a very difficult baby. I'm already wanting another but want Riley to be closer to 3 before I have another. There was such a big difference between turning 2 & 3. At just 2 Z was still very young and could not understand as much. He needed a lot more assistance with things now near 3 he can understand when I'm explaining I need to tend to Riley first & why. He can also play & entertain himself, go in & go potty & do so much more unassisted. I felt so bad for Z when Riley was born he went from being the baby with tons if attention to some days going all day crying for attention & then meals were often an hour or two late. Now again Roley was a very hard baby so I'm sure that made it a zillion times worse but I just feel that at barely two they still need a lot of attention/care and by having a baby took away from that. I have heard people who have them that close & love it. I may go as young as 2.5 but just turn 2 sucked for us and the kids!
  • Options
    coryandamandacoryandamanda Posts: 1,527
    edited November -1
    I think that is a good age difference. The initial adjustment can be hard but it doesn't last long. Our girls are only 19 months apart and it is awesome for the most part. They are very close and we love it. This baby and Haidyn will be about 26 months apart. If we are lucky enough to conceive #4 we'll have a little bit more of an age gap because we'll already have 3 young kids and #4 will be our last. We are hoping for about 30 months between #3 and #4.
    It is hard when they are both young as far as needing you for everything. They tend to get alot more independent at age 3 so I think that alot of people wait for that age gap. But I think the 3s are much more challenging than the 2s so I would rather have a newborn with a 2 year old than a 3 year old.
    July 4, 2015
    image_2.jpgu
  • Options
    allthingsluckyallthingslucky Posts: 467
    edited November -1
    My girls are 3 years apart and for me it was a great gap. They are the best of friends now and when Rylie was little Brooke helped out a lot. She was also more independent allowing me to tend to Ry if need be. Now for the next one things are up in the air. I have variables like school, money, work all to factor in so hopefully I there will only be 4 or so years between Rylie and the next baby. I have the time to space them out though. I had my first at 17 and then Ry at 20, so I am only turning 24 this year. If I were older than I would not have that much space between each of them.
  • Options
    A&JA&J Posts: 1,825
    edited April 2011
    This is a topic I am interested in also. Prior to having Olivia, Anna and I discussed having a 3-4 year age gap. Now we have definitely decided to move our timeline up and are thinking about attempting to create about a 2 year age gap. Some considerations for us are that we do want Olivia to be the center of attention for as long as possible, however, I would like to be able to spend the first year at home with the next child also, and in order to make this a reality I would need to time them a little closer together so as to not be "starting" and "stopping" my career so to speak. We are also thinking it may be nice to have them in different phases of development, but not too far from each other...like not having one that has been out of diapers for years, and then having to go back down this road...who knows, guess we will see how it all happens. Definitely interested in others' thoughts and opinions...
    th_img-191_zps90b22fea.jpg
    th_img-109_zps4769e6c4.jpg
  • Options
    LKLK Posts: 711
    edited November -1
    I LOVE that our kids are 17 years apart--it's kind of like having 2 only children and I love only children. I see kids that are close in age and although I would never want that for my family I think it's awesome because they seem like best friends!!
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    While our situation isn't all in one family I still have some experience just a little different. Arden and Kate are exactly a year apart and for the most part it is great as far as them playing together, having similar interests and their memories have always been all of us, sharing etc. Obviously I didn't give birth 1 year apart so that was very different than going through that twice so soon! Arden and her baby sister are 3.4 years apart and Arden is doing FANTASTIC with being the big sister. She really likes the role and enjoys being a big girl and able to do things her sister can't. We are only 10 days in so I can keep you posted. Kate is having a very hard time at 2.4 years and she could care less about being a "big girl" versus a baby!
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Darling and Esther are almost exactly 14 months apart. For us it's been a great age gap because it encouraged Darling to move ahead and encouraged everyone to see her as more capable rather than as a tiny baby. She wasn't walking or talking yet, and by 17 months she was walking, jumping, talking in full sentences, etc...
    However, this is with the ability for both of them to have undivided attention from their parents at the very least at night time and weekends.
    From Darling's perspective she doesn't remember life without Esther. She loves Esther so much and asks for her from the moment she wakes up in the morning to the moment she goes to bed. She has started sharing her toys, now that Esther has teeth she tries to share her food, she's teaching her things (right now it's to flap her hands and scream, which they both think is hilarious). This age gap seems great to us because there's enough difference between them to notice and appreciate while they're small, but the older they get the more the gap closes and soon enough they'll be doing the same things and on nearly the same level which will be great for them as playmates and best friends.

For our little family, we've always said that 18 months was the prefect age gap. We've nannied for more than 70 kids over the past 13 years and that's what has felt most natural and right for us and the way that we "parent". We enjoy having a big group of kids all near each other however. I think it's really such a personal thing and so different for everyone. In reality we'll end up with a 2+ year difference due to my internship and travel needs.
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    indigoscotindigoscot Posts: 246
    edited November -1
    ds1 and ds2 are almost exactly 2.5 years apart. we did try to plan it that way (obviously with ttc you just never know!!) and are very happy with the outcome.

ds1 could talk well and was settled nicely in the 2's class at daycare (with a teacher that he still adores to this day) and was just starting to show some interest in potty learning. we had some minor hiccups when ds2 first came home but you'd expect an adjustment period - he didn't want dp, he told me to give ds2 back to dp when he wanted me to do something, and he wanted me to lay with him until he fell asleep (we stopped that pretty quickly however). he potty learned within a few months of ds2 being born.

then after he turned 3 he moved to the preschool room and i am so glad we didn't have a new baby when he was 3!! we have had lots more challenges with him at 3 than we did at 2 plus there are some unruly boys that he interacts with both in preschool and pre-k that are not good influences (but that is another story!).

ds1 and ds2 are playing together (as best they can until ds2 has better language) and they obviously love each other. they do wrestle a lot and we have to remind ds1 (42lbs, 45" tall) to be careful with ds2 (28lbs, 32" tall). we are looking forward to them playing more with each other because right now we have to interact with ds1 for some play that ds2 isn't old enough for (like his lego sheep game. ds2 would try to eat the pieces).

we are gearing up to ttc baby #3. with any luck there will be a similar gap (or less) between ds2 and baby #3. i think that will be ideal. there are 5 years between me and my little brother but we happily played lego together and all 3 of us (my sister is in the middle, 2.5 years younger than me) played games when we were school age.

as cory said, dp and i aren't getting any younger and while it might be nuts to have 3 under the age of 5 this is what will work best for our family. :)

g
    nirim4.png
    onmFm5.png
    tMYCm5.png
  • Options
    GoobieGoobie Posts: 3,515
    edited November -1
    My kids are almost 4 years apart, and for me that was awesome. Troy was potty trained, sleeping through the night and able to ge himself a small snack by the time Robyn was born. Tims kids are 12 months apart, and there are pros to that too... they ended up doing a lot of the same things together, older was a little later to potty train, younger a little eralier, they did it together.

Baby #5 will be 18, 17, 13 and 9 years younger!
    tt125c22.aspx

Need to update a ticker, Silas Anthony Jordon born Oct 11, 2013. 6th baby, so much love!
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    I like 2 years. Although Shiloh is 2 now and I'm not planning a sibling for her. And I hope LK comes around to liking a closer range than 17 between children. Because I want Beck's little sister or brother to come a lot sooner!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited November -1
    My initial goal was two years apart, because that's what my sister and I were. We were young enough to play together, but old enough to have our own friends and different interests. But, that didn't work out for my family. I'm planning now on 3 years apart, and I'm glad I waited a little bit just because Justin is a handful and requires some pretty intense concentration and attention at all times. Now that his language is developing and his interests sometimes occupy him for 10-20 minute stretches, I can see the benefits of having a slightly older big sibling. Plus, by the time #2 comes along, Justin should be potty trained and sleeping better. This past year would have been a very hard time to be pregnant. But, you know, whatever the age difference, it will "work" for your family. :)
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png
  • Options
    denno26denno26 Posts: 24
    edited November -1
    This topic came up a little while ago. I did a bunch of research on the age differences and 3 years kept coming up. I very intentionally put a 3 year gap between my kids and it's been an amazing fit for my family. Like a previous poster said said, my son was potty trained, sleeping through the night, could get his own snack, entertain himself (when necessary), and didn't feel replaced by the baby. He's been an incredibly nurturing big brother and the two of them are truly best friends.

My goal was to have 4 kids and I didn't want to push pregnancies past 40, so when it came to baby #3, I jumped the gun and was going to only have a 2 year gap between the youngest kiddos. As I learned with some time, that would've been a really poor fit for my daughter. She was still pretty needy and wanted to be the "baby" and the focus. She definitely needed to have more individual time and was not ready to have a baby come along. Although she's always loved babies, having one that would've taken time away from her would've been a gynormous adjustment. Unfortunately, that pregnancy ended in miscarriage.

I am now carrying my 4th pregnancy. My daughter will be 3 (actually a few months shy of 4) and could not be more excited to have a baby on the way. My friends all joke that my daughter and I will have a tug-of-war trying to be the primary caregiver of this baby. My son, who is 6, continues to be a very sweet, understanding, and nurturing big brother and is thrilled to have a baby brother on the way. This is not just my TTC project, it is OUR project, in every way. I love that they are both old enough to understand and support the idea of a new sibling without feeling threatened.

I don't think there is just one "right" answer. Differing family dynamics play a big part. I know that for me, a SMBC, I wanted the freedom to be able to focus on my newest family member without making anybody else feel hurt or threatened. I really recommend the 3 year age gap. Having said that, the miscarriage and fertility struggles that followed have forced me to come to the realization that I won't reach my goal of 4 kids prior to 40. But I'm feeling really good about being a SMBC to 3.
  • Options
    cAtWmN84cAtWmN84 Posts: 462
    edited November -1
    as a foster mom, 18 months or less was great but 2 year gap was hard.3 year gap is working out very well with adri and liam.however i don't want to wait that long for #3
    yqOs9SZ.jpgyqOsm5.png
    Qkvimpd.jpgQkvim4.png
    dxnZweE.jpgdxnZm5.png
  • Options
    jenoglvjenoglv Posts: 669 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This topic makes me a little sad. I don't know when I'll be able to try for number two, mainly for finical reasons. I don't think it would be wise for me to TTC while in school. Maybe if I'm able to get my act together, and somehow get into a nursing program by 2012, I would TTC my last semester of nursing school. That would probably be a 3 year gap in-between kids. I'm ok with that, but not ok with more than 4 years.
    Jennifer SMBC, mama to Rhys.

2012-10-29003321-1.jpg