Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

SAHMs

allthingsluckyallthingslucky Posts: 467
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
So lately I have been wondering about other SAHMs and their feelings about their partner bringing in the money. Right now I am staying at home. DP is working and going to school. I feel like I should be doing something to help with the bills or be in school or something. Do any of you SAHMs do anything to supplement the income? Are you content with staying at home, what is your day like? Idk if its just me, but I get so bored and I feel like I run out of things to do and then I waste time on the computer. How do you make your days feel fulfilling?

Comments

• Options
    coryandamandacoryandamanda Posts: 1,527
    edited November -1
    I started watching a child or 2 in our home to bring in a little money. I try to plan something to get us out of the house almost every day. Shopping, park, grandparent's house, beach, pool.....something. It breaks up the day and keeps the kids from being cooped up and getting crazy. I love being at home. I wouldn't mind working part time but I'd hate to have to go back to work full time right now....or ever!
    July 4, 2015
    image_2.jpgu
  • Options
    cocobaycocobay Posts: 1,318
    edited November -1
    I plan to clean a few houses a week once Bronx is about 6 months old. Won't be much income around $350 a week, but it will be my extra spending money and will give me a chance to get a break!
  • Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been at home since November.. but H works downstairs taking care of a 21 month old. We spend our days together, the four of us. The only real block of time that has the potential to be anything unpredictable is 10-12 every morning and maybe 4:30-6.. other than that our days are exactly the same.
    I think that with kids you have a lot more to do, if I stayed home all day without any kids I would definitely be bored and fritter away my time on the computer!

LK- if you ever get really bored you are more than welcome to come over here with your bleach and toothbrush! :-)
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    OMG. I wish LK lived here so you could be bored in my house!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    babybabybabybaby Posts: 1,564
    edited November -1
    LK - i am the same way about being house-proud. :) if i am bored, i just clean, clean, clean!
  • Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited November -1
    I remember back in the 1970's that a lot of SAHMs were also the local Tupperware and Avon ladies. Today that can be Pampered Chef or eBay. And with the computer, you can also do some other work-from-home opportunities. Personally I'd love to figure out how you become an editor and read other people's works and help revise them. That could easily be a SAH job. My best friend's mom raised 4 kids at home - and babysat my sister and I when she only had 2 kids - while doing the accounting for a local bank's payroll in the evening after her husband came home. A mom at my school writes articles for magazines during her down time. I think if you're creative, there can be a way to keep yourself occupied while also bringing in some extra cash.
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png
  • Options
    ksmommyksmommy Posts: 29
    edited November -1
    Hi I am a sahm. I have two kids a dd (6 yo) and a ds (15 mos). The transition to sahm was a bit rough for me after my dd was born. I had never stayed home before and always worked...I felt chained to the house for those first few months after she was born. I started volunteering at our local library doing a preschool story time when my dd was 2. Now that has turned into a part time job where I coordinate the weekly preschool story time and a monthly family night. Before my ds was born I worked part time as a play group coordinator 2 days a week also...I stopped doing that though when I was put on hospital bedrest before he was born. I teach Sunday school and try to be active (as much as I am comfortable with) in my church. I try to be involved in my community's doings. Oh and this last year I started homeschooling my dd. I am content for the most part staying home but there are days!!!!
    Best of luck to you. :)
  • Options
    First HopeFirst Hope Posts: 511
    edited November -1
    My wife also works and goes to school. She works 72 hours a week and she is going to school for two reasons, the obvious to finish her degree, and she is prior military so they pay her around 1300 a month to go to school. It is very hard for me and I think her too. I was not planning on staying home however after Xander arrived she just felt very strongly that we not put him in daycare. Not that there is anything wrong with daycare, she is just having a hang up on it. I feel like I am not pitching in and I complain about money being tight which in return makes her feel bad because she is working her butt off to support our family. She is doing a great job, I was just very use to our double income. I am hoping to return to work soon, and pray that family can help watch him.

LK is lucky, most people do have to depend on the person working to make the money. If I were in her shoes, I would never want to go back to work or maybe a day a week. I would play and shop :).

Anyway I know how you feel, when we do run into an unexpected expense I feel horrible and full of guilt. However I have to keep reminding myself this is what my wife wants, and it is best for Xander for right now.

Good luck in finding a balance it is possible.
    tt13112d.aspxQWRVm7.pngDSC_0904-1.jpgDSC_0858-1.jpg
  • Options
    stwrrstwrr Posts: 455 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jane and I are 8 weeks along... we're planning ahead. Right now, I'm the pregnant mother, and I work two full time jobs, to a total of around 70-80 hours a week. Obviously... that can't continue for the whole pregnancy or after Baby is born.

Jane is a student, due to graduate 6 months after Baby is born. I thought this would be okay, because I'll have two months of paid leave at one job (been stocking up), and can work from home at the other job. But Jane is starting to worry, starting to feel "provider pressure", even though I've always been the provider in the family. She's talking about quitting school early to get a job and take care of us so I can stay home with Baby... but... I already can, for 10 weeks paid, and another 12 FMLA unpaid if I want (and can work from home in my other job those 12 weeks).

Oye. We're working that one out on our end.

But I do web design and internet marketing in one job. Anything with an online skill set makes a great stay at home job. That way, I can spend time on the computer but spend it productively (instead of Facebooking!). :)

~ Sandy
    407251321.jpg
  • Options
    PtownMomsPtownMoms Posts: 768
    edited November -1
    I stay at home with Finn. I LOVE it. I feel very lucky to be able to do it. I occasionally pick up freelance photography work...but not very often. So we are a one income family. We don't have much debt (what we do have will be paid off in another 2 months!), we cloth diaper, and we do coupon for groceries....those 3 things make living on one income a little easier for us.

I am very content with being a sahm. I'm not bored very often because Finn still keeps me pretty busy. Ha. But we try to get out of the house when we can...even if it's for a walk with the dog. I also like doing artsy stuff. So if/when I'm bored I usually do stuff like that.
    Carrie & Monica

sig_zps0be86692-1_zpse4fe5311.jpg
  • Options
    twicejesstwicejess Posts: 228
    edited November -1
    I am lucky enough to stay home too. Since Lauren has been born, I have NEVER had one moment of boredom! There is always something to do.
    We spend time outside when it's nice. We usually plan one real play-date a week, one My Gym class, and she has 2 days of preschool. She still naps for 2 hours (most days) and that is when I do dishes, or catch a nap myself now that I am pregnant again.
    You'll get into a routine. I still find it impossible to stay 100% on top of cleaning. We always have clean clothes but they aren't always folded! HAHA!
    DP makes all the money and I spend it. That's our deal right now. I pay all the bills and buy all the groceries. I look for deals, and use coupons to save. I don't usually feel guilty about her being the bread winner because I am working my butt off for our family too, it's just a different way than she does. LET ME TELL YOU I know for a fact that a full time job would be easier than staying home!!!