Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

SWEET! NY state! And 2nd parent question?!

twicejesstwicejess Posts: 228
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
So, I was filling out my hospital registration papers today when I came across the dreaded birth certificate workbook. Apparently the law in NY changed because DP is NOW in the SECOND PARENT column!!!!!!!!!!! With Lauren that was not allowed. But now you mark if you want a "mother/father" or a "mother/mother" certificate! I called the hospital to make sure I wasn't misinterpreting it and I wasn't!
So, now we need to see about changing Laurens!

Now, what does this mean for second parent adoption? Do we still have to do it if the birth certificate Says "second parent"?

Comments

• Options
    lolabellolabel Posts: 99
    edited November -1
    That's awesome! I have no idea about the adoption, but I love that our state is moving forward in good ways (even if slowly.) I was delighted at the hospital that I was given instructions on how to file the birth certificate papers as a single mum with no declared father. Not only was there no judgement, it was a given that I wouldn't want to have a dude on there, so they wanted to make it easier for me!
    Mother to a 4 year old who has changed my whole world for the better!
  • Options
    LKLK Posts: 711
    edited November -1
    I really don't think much changes as far as second parent adoption. In CT we have civil unions and same sex marriage---our birth certificates say parent/parent, mother/mother, father/father or mother/father. Becks says mother/mother but we were still told it was in all of our best interest to do second parent adoption because not all states have the same laws hence the same protection if we were to travel. Second parent adoption is a million times easier than some I have read about on NW and it is also MUCH cheaper. I would check out your state just to be safe---it would be awful to go on a vacation and then have trouble. We have left the coutry a few times as well as traveling within the US with no issues-- knock on wood
  • Options
    mausandlodiemausandlodie Posts: 312 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We are both listed as mothers on Henry's birth certificate in Maryland, and we went through with the second parent adoption anyway - for us, it was worth it to have the extra level of legal protection. That's great that your DP vcan be listed on the birth certificate now!
    fb07f31c-23cd-4846-9060-8d5113d22bdb_zpsejjbeelw.jpg
    4d79eb04-373b-476e-96e2-4b5387a0f1e1_zpsoeetv1ez.jpg
  • Options
    A&JA&J Posts: 1,825
    edited November -1
    Great news that you can both be listed on the birth certificate!!! I would still go forward with the 2nd parent adoption just in case...
    th_img-191_zps90b22fea.jpg
    th_img-109_zps4769e6c4.jpg