Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

BFing and poop question

A&JA&J Posts: 1,825
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
I have no idea if this is true, but read that yellow, mustard colored poop shows that baby is getting the hind milk and that green means they are primarily getting the fore milk...has anyone heard of this? It is important that they are getting hind milk right? I feel it is kind of difficult to determine what they are getting when you are exclusively breast feeding...thoughts? Thanks.
th_img-191_zps90b22fea.jpg
th_img-109_zps4769e6c4.jpg

Comments

• Options
    GoobieGoobie Posts: 3,515
    edited November -1
    Yep - thats what I was told too... even if a babe is getting hindmilk it can still be greenish, but if it';s mucousy and explosive then they re probably getting a bit too much foremilk and not quite enough hind. If you're having issues with all foremilk you can try offering just one side per feeding, or even expresssing a little before offering the breast so that you are geetting rid of a bit of the foremilk. Some babies just don't nurse long enough to take in enough to get that rich creamy hindmilk.

Thanks for reminding me of this - this is exactly the sort of thing I want to pass on to my step-daughter who is BFing her 4 day old!
    tt125c22.aspx

Need to update a ticker, Silas Anthony Jordon born Oct 11, 2013. 6th baby, so much love!
  • Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep, that's what we were told too!
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    Yes, that is correct. Green, mucusy explosive poops can also be a sign of allergies but always try to correct any potential milk imbalance first. Is baby having green poops?
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Shanny, they will go from all yellow to a greenish yellow depending on the day. They are not mucousy though.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I would nurse on one side per nursing session for a few days and see if that changes it. Anything else seem off?
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    mommylovemommylove Posts: 1,582
    edited November -1
    I heard the same from our Pedi...interesting info Shanny, thanks. :-)
    be422225-267e-4ff7-94c0-a8d5baf3176a_zpse0970fea.jpg
    October 2014

Dk5Zm7.png

22gfm7.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Shanny-- I think nursing on one side will fix things...what I noticed was that when I let her nurse from just one side her poop would be yellow, but when I fed her on both sides I would notice it was greenish. I was nursing on both sides each session just because I feel so full. So I am thinking that since I was switching her midway through she wasn't emptying the breast and getting to the hind milk? Does this seem right? She is gaining lots of weight and there doesn't seem to be any other issues. I was just curious about the changing poop colors. I know you are a breastfeeding pro, so I appreciate the input.
  • Options
    smartycat92smartycat92 Posts: 564
    edited November -1
    is this really true? Charles almost always has green poop where Ray always had that mustardy / seedy poop you always hear about with breast feeding. I just thought it was a quirky difference between the two boys. Charles is a beast and doesn't seem to be lacking in anything. Hmmm... I am going to have to research this more
    . 0vthk9cno.png
    20137aff-9c20-4097-91b7-ac919c10954f_zpsd88d3a6c.jpg
    o4bd1nxgy.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    smarty - yes, like I said it could have more than one cause but a fore/hind milk imbalance would be a much easier issue to have and correct than any kind of allergy!

A&J - sounds like you have got it all figured out! See, you are already a pro! I would let her empty one side and then you can always offer the other side and she may still take a little. If not it will only take a few days for your body to adjust and the fullness to start to even out.
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Shanny--just changed another yellow diaper! It is working! Thanks!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Good job Mom! Isn't it so nice when something has a nice, easy solution!
    image_zps64579b54.png