Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Benadryl question

KariKari Posts: 1,765
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
Back in the fall Justin had an allergic reaction, and the doctor said to put him on Bendryl 3/4 tsp. every 6 hours. Now I'm curious with his runny noses that accompany all his colds if it's the same dosage (or if he should even be taking it) for a runny nose.

It's Sunday and the office is closed. Anyone else give their child Benadryl with doc's approval?
100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
r9vOm4.png
Ri4Gm4.png

Comments

• Options
    michgirlmichgirl Posts: 406 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do, but for a running nose I personally push it back to 8 hours rather than the 6. I do this because it was sedating my kids and they were sleeping all the time.
    f1xTJgw.jpgf1xTm5.png
  • Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We've done benadryl for runny noses (not E yet), but usually limit it to just before sleep so that the nose and resulting cough don't get in the way of sleep. So that would be.. around noon and around 8? So, yeah, I agree with the 8 hour suggestion.
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    LauranLauran Posts: 992
    edited November -1
    I am very paranoid about Benadryl, it can be dangerous if given in the wrong dose. But if the pedi gave you a certain dosage at one point the same dosage is not likely to hurt Justin.

That said, you can't get an after hours nurse on the phone? Cruz's pediatrician group has an operator who will connect you to a nurse after hours, and the pedi on hospital duty will call as soon as he/she is able.
    8753d5b8-b427-43ab-84c1-768bae9fb46b.jpg179591c8-0980-4d54-bf49-65f3f46650c4.jpg
  • Options
    friendamyfriendamy Posts: 588
    edited November -1
    I have yet to give my DS benadryl... but I'm not a fan of meditating kids either. my led said not to give anything for common colds (runny noses, etc). an allergic reaction is something that can require benadryl, but I personally wouldn't use it for a runny nose or cold.

all of the recommendations (and packages) I've seem say that they should not be used for kids under 6. I'd go with that, unless my doctor specifically said to give it to him.

for colds I used a bulb syringe, humidifier and an elevated head/bed if needed. and lots of fluids.
    Amy (39)
    DS (7) - d#470
    Boy, n.: a noise with dirt on it.

age.png