Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

BFing ???

mommylovemommylove Posts: 1,582
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
So since going back to only BFing and no supplementing I have only been able to get Sebastian to feed on one breast per feeding. He empties it and seems perfectly satisfied thereafter, but he refuses to be switched to the other breast so I usually end up pumping that one for relief after feeding him. Is this normal? Am I fine doing this for awhile until he feeds more and becomes more comfortable switching sides during feedings? I do of course switch breasts per session so that he doesnt favor one or the other breast. What do you other BFers think?
Thanks for the advice...
be422225-267e-4ff7-94c0-a8d5baf3176a_zpse0970fea.jpg
October 2014

Dk5Zm7.png

22gfm7.png

Comments

• Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A lot of people do this. That's why they have those bracelets you can get to wear on the side you did last.. so you can remember to do the other side the next time. If he's feeding this way he's getting the good, fattier milk that comes second, so it sounds good to me. As he gets bigger and can take more at once you should be able to get him to go to the second breast and keep going, thus lessening the amount of pumping you're doing. Or, if you are having to go back to work, a lot of moms will continue pumping one side while nursing on the other so that they can build up a frozen supply.
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    Shaeley MaeShaeley Mae Posts: 1,731
    edited November -1
    Lilianna NEVER took more than one breast per feeding. I even tried when she was older and hungrier .... but she wasn't very hip to the idea.
    I literally kept a notepad by my bed so that I could jot down the time and side that she ate on, otherwise I would have surely lost track. I think the bracelet idea sounds great!!
    IMG_0408-rs.jpgIMG_7844-rs.jpg
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    Yup, I only ever (still) fed Kate on one side at a time. I read early on that it helps some reflux babies so that was what we did. If you don't need to pump to build up a storage of milk you might want to only pump for a minute or two to relieve engorgement and back off of pumping while nursing all together. It would be a much more enjoyable nursing session without the whir of the pump in you ear I imagine!
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    tc0104tc0104 Posts: 579 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Laney has always fed on just one breast per session and still does. I used to pump the other. For the last month or so she only feeds off of my right one....the left was always kinda gimpy anyway. So we are going the final stretch here on one breast (i feel like I'm driving a car with a flat tire lol). We do supplement with formula but only buy 2 $11 cans a month...sometimes only 1. Come 1yr we will introduce cows milk.
  • Options
    allthingsluckyallthingslucky Posts: 467
    edited November -1
    Yep, this is totally normal. I know your breast may be uncomfortable, but your body works on a supply and demand system. So I would switch breasts each feeding, but I wouldn't pump the other one. Eventually your breasts will figure out how much you need and it will stop being so engourged. I know with Rylie, she never took both breasts in a single feeding and I nursed her until she was 13 months.
  • Options
    SPJ&ESPJ&E Posts: 874 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never switched sides at feedings. My boys would just empty the one and be done. I would alternate which side every feeding. It's completely normal to do it that way.
    Mom to P (13), J (11), E (6), and Q (born December 2017)
  • Options
    mommylovemommylove Posts: 1,582
    edited November -1
    Thanks so much ladies...go figure of course that the minute you all respond Sebastian decides he now likes switching side to side during even one feeding. Not always, but mostly now.
    He's eating so well, emptying at least one breast and starting a little on the other every 2-3hrs. He sleeps lots but is beginning to stay awake for longer and longer periods of time.
    be422225-267e-4ff7-94c0-a8d5baf3176a_zpse0970fea.jpg
    October 2014

Dk5Zm7.png

22gfm7.png