Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Finally, a name for our baby boy

palegreenpalegreen Posts: 1,478
edited April 2011 in Pregnancy and Babies
DP and I have had a difficult time trying to decide on a boys name. We aren't sharing our name ideas with friends or family, but I got the go ahead from DP to bounce our name off of all of you! So after two months of scouring the internet and reading thru baby name books, we narrowed it down to 2 names: Griffin and Kainen. We both kept getting drawn back to Griffin during our searches so we think it might just be the one! So we're thinking Griffin Oliver. Whatcha think?!
sig2017_zpsneeoat7k.jpg

Comments

• Options
    cocobaycocobay Posts: 1,318
    edited November -1
    I love Griffin Oliver! Sounds like an awesome name to me!! Congrats on finally picking one!
  • Options
    coryandamandacoryandamanda Posts: 1,527
    edited November -1
    Congrats on finding a name you agree on! I hope it sticks for you. We thought we had a name for Alexis around that point and then changed our minds, a couple times, before she was born. We didn't actually decide on her name until a couple weeks before she was born. So with Haidyn and this baby we kinda toss around some ideas but don't even really start deciding until later on in the pregnancy. I know from the little we've talked about it we have different favs for girls and the same for a boy so maybe it will just turn out to be a boy and it will be easy for once?? LOL
    July 4, 2015
    image_2.jpgu
  • Options
    Trae&TracyTrae&Tracy Posts: 199
    edited November -1
    Griffin Oliver is an adorable name!!!! :-)
    7 home ICI's (2010-15) - BFN
    1st medicated IUI w/RE - March 2016 - BFN
    2nd medicated IUI/wRE - April 2016 - BFN
  • Options
    JebaJeba Posts: 280
    edited November -1
    I love it!
    jj5wy0.jpg

2GbYm4.png
  • Options
    JebaJeba Posts: 280
    edited November -1
    How do you pronounce Kainen?? I have not seen that one before :-)
    jj5wy0.jpg

2GbYm4.png
  • Options
    care&alicare&ali Posts: 362
    edited November -1
    awesome name!
    093bbc9d-2fa9-4ee5-9cf5-b9d31af5141b_4BW.jpg
  • Options
    BabyBugsArrivalBabyBugsArrival Posts: 523
    edited November -1
    Love it! Honestly, love all 3!
    mommaandme-1.jpg
  • Options
    GoobieGoobie Posts: 3,515
    edited November -1
    Love them both! I know a 12 year old Griffin and he's an awesome kid, and Kane is on my short list of boys names, so I think you're golden no matter what you choose!!
    tt125c22.aspx

Need to update a ticker, Silas Anthony Jordon born Oct 11, 2013. 6th baby, so much love!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    @ Jeba: It's pronounced kane-in (a variation of Kain/Kaine/Cane)
    sig2017_zpsneeoat7k.jpg
  • Options
    Beth81392Beth81392 Posts: 486
    edited November -1
    Love it!

BTW , and very randomly, the icky Food Lion on Kerr had a Little Tykes bib that says I love my mommies.

Beth
    Words cannot even begin to describe how much I love these kids
    BeachDuo.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    noway Beth, that's cute. I'll have to check that out. :)
    sig2017_zpsneeoat7k.jpg
  • Options
    charcoaleyescharcoaleyes Posts: 864
    edited November -1
    Love it!
  • Options
    jenoglvjenoglv Posts: 669 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very cute!
    Jennifer SMBC, mama to Rhys.

2012-10-29003321-1.jpg
  • Options
    mausandlodiemausandlodie Posts: 312 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very handsome name :-)
    fb07f31c-23cd-4846-9060-8d5113d22bdb_zpsejjbeelw.jpg
    4d79eb04-373b-476e-96e2-4b5387a0f1e1_zpsoeetv1ez.jpg
  • Options
    IbelieveIbelieve Posts: 471
    edited November -1
    Love the name Griffin Oliver! Oliver has always been a favorite name of mine. : )
  • Options
    A&JA&J Posts: 1,825
    edited November -1
    I really like Griffin. The name is a great choice!
    th_img-191_zps90b22fea.jpg
    th_img-109_zps4769e6c4.jpg
  • Options
    miaandsabrinamiaandsabrina Posts: 723
    edited November -1
    I think that is a great choice! It's funny, being still so early along, we have bought one book but I won't even look at it b/c I have names for either already picked out~it just feels like it's how it's supposed to be, you know?!!
    Our worlds collided and together we've been blessed with perfection!
  • Options
    jenandlorijenandlori Posts: 584
    edited November -1
    I love the name. Congrats on picking out a name!
    Baby Dallas born 11/27/13

IMG_9532_zpsff82306d.jpg
  • Options
    smartycat92smartycat92 Posts: 564
    edited November -1
    I love Griffin and I like Oliver but I am not sure if I like them together. They are a little trendy-trendy. Now, keep in mind most people probably think my taste in names is old fashioned and boring, but I think Griffin paired with a more classic name would be really strong and handsome. Are there any family members you would like to honor with a middle name?

Here are a few combos I like...

Griffin Alexander
    Griffin James
    Griffin Thomas
    Griffin Samuel
    Griffin Micheal

... you get the idea.

But most important is that you both agree... no small feat!
    . 0vthk9cno.png
    20137aff-9c20-4097-91b7-ac919c10954f_zpsd88d3a6c.jpg
    o4bd1nxgy.png
  • Options
    mommylovemommylove Posts: 1,582
    edited November -1
    Love it!
    be422225-267e-4ff7-94c0-a8d5baf3176a_zpse0970fea.jpg
    October 2014

Dk5Zm7.png

22gfm7.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the positive feedback! :) It was quite challenging for us to find a name and both agree on it!

smartycat92: I'm quite the opposite and my #1 criteria was to stay away from the classic Michael, James, Thomas, etc. I'd love to use a family name, but the names we have to choose from don't really work with any of the names we like (ie: Eugene...Ferdinand). Do you think Griffin is trendy, or the combo of Griffin & Oliver? Griffin has held steady in the mid 200's on social security's top names for the last 15 years, so I thought it was a decent middle of the road "not too popular, but not too out there" name.
    sig2017_zpsneeoat7k.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    To me... the one that likes old boring names ;-) ... Griffin and Oliver are both trendy, hence my "trendy-trendy" comment... not that either name is *super* trendy. Sometimes when I see a trendy-trendy combo I think people are trying too hard. I like the balance of a trendy-classic combo. Actually, I think Griffin Ferdinand has a cool, exotic feel to it.

But again, if you both agree on the name and like it, then that is most important. And it is obviously a very popular choice here :-) I hope you don't mind my comments. Name threads are always weird to me. I always wonder, "Do you really want to know what I think?" or "Do you just want compliments?"
    . 0vthk9cno.png
    o4bd1nxgy.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Nope, I don't mind at all. I REALLY wanted honest feedback (since we aren't sharing the name with friends and family, we haven't gotten any feedback until I posted it here).
    sig2017_zpsneeoat7k.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    So I can try to talk you in to Griffin Ferdinand then?
    . 0vthk9cno.png
    o4bd1nxgy.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    haha! It's the same number of syllables, but it seems like more of a mouthful than Oliver
    sig2017_zpsneeoat7k.jpg
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    I like the K-name but Griffin Oliver sounds like a go to me! The initials spell GO too! I don't know any Griffins but I like the meaning behind the name :)

... a legendary creature with the body of a lion and the head and wings of an eagle. As the lion was traditionally considered the king of the beasts and the eagle was the king of the birds, the griffin was thought to be an especially powerful and majestic creature.
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    tc0104tc0104 Posts: 579 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love it! If Laney were a boy I would have been all over Griffin, but DP didn't like it. In fact , we could only agree on a girl name and luckily that's what we had. We were also leaning towards Grayson.