Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

How does your child do with changes?

twicejesstwicejess Posts: 228
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
Lauren is a very easy going girl, for the most part. Well, at school I am finding there is a lot of inconsistency for her. Like we never know which teachers are going to be in her room. Usually there is one that is the same (erin) but she was out last week. So, I have to wonder if Lauren is having an issue with not knowing what to expect. Every morning she always asks me who is going to be there. And I can't ever tell her. Her favorite teacher is Ms. Lori...who hasn't been there in a couple weeks. when I drop her off there are usually 3 teachers and when I pick her up there are usually at least 2 different teachers than when I dropped her off. I just wonder if not knowing what to expect is making it harder on her.
I am just not sure what to think or do. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    indigoscotindigoscot Posts: 246
    edited November -1
    our daycare for the most part has the same teachers each day. ds1 is dropped off in pre-k with that teacher and then his preschool teacher arrives around 9am. sometimes they have a floater teacher at breaks and lunchtime.

yesterday ds2's regular teacher was out but he didn't seem to mind the sub (i was down at lunchtime to give him eyedrops). he gets dropped off with the school cook (who is awesome and all the kids love her) and the older toddler teacher.

our kids are also really easy-going. mind you, they have been in daycare for a while - ds1 since 8 weeks old and ds2 since 3 months old. dp and i are also pretty easy-going...maybe that helps?

some kids just like consistency. i would talk to the person in charge and see if they have a schedule they can share with you. we usually get an email from our director if a teacher is going to be out so we know there will be a sub.

g
    nirim4.png
    onmFm5.png
    tMYCm5.png
  • Options
    fischfisch Posts: 570 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    I would say that 5 different teachers in a single day is a lot. Are they having high turnover? Are they just managing vacations? If so, they should be communicating that to the parents.

It takes a while to get to know children, especially those that are under 3 and not completely verbal about wants/needs/emotions, etc. It would be important to me that my child have the same caregiver/teacher everyday. Our school has two teachers - since January they've never had a sub.

I don't think that just some kids just 'like' consistency. In terms of managing behavior, all kids need it. Even if they are easy going and go with the flow. Stability & consistency create confidence and security.

If a school has floaters/subs, it should be the same people pretty consistently, and the children should know them. It sounds like your school has that, but perhaps they aren't communicating that to you or the children?
    age.png

age.png
  • Options
    twicejesstwicejess Posts: 228
    edited November -1
    Well, today when I picked Lauren up I asked if her favorite teacher would be back on Thursday....nope, she quit. So...Lauren and I will have a little chat later about that. So, that explains why one of the teachers has been different, they are just filling in with who ever they have available. It seems like it has just been a bad couple weeks between sickness and the one quitting but it takes a lot out of the kids I think.

Lauren doesn't like to participate in activities with the other kids. I don't know what is going on with her!
  • Options
    ncmomstobencmomstobe Posts: 549
    edited November -1
    Our son has been at the same school since the age of three months, always very social. However, when he moved up to the toddler room, he stayed on the periphery for quite a while. He had to adjust to the way those kids played, and until he was comfortable he just stayed out, watching. It's totally normal for a child to go through a phase like that. I wouldn't worry as long as she doesn't put up a fight to go.
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    Shiloh doesn't have any problem with change but sometimes she needs a little time to adjust to something new. She plays and interacts wonderfully with the other little ones at the home daycare. But on Thursdays when we go to my club meetings, she does not want to play with the twins who are 2 months younger than her. She only sees them once a month, and has no problem playing with their toys. But she doesn't want much to do with them one on one. She's great when people come to visit that she knows, but if we walk into a room full of people it can take her some time (up to 30 minutes) to acclimate.

It sounds like Lauren wants to know who's going to be with her and is a little uncertain about the unknown. But how is she once you get there?
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png