Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

23 week OB appointment

palegreenpalegreen Posts: 1,478
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
We had our monthly OB appointment yesterday. I've been sick with allergy/head cold stuff all week, so the doctor gave me a few options other than benadryl to take, and that has helped tremendously! I'll be in my 3rd trimester at my next appointment (holy cow, time is flying!!!), so I get to do the 1-hour glucose test next appointment (fingers crossed that I pass, so I don't have to do the 3-hour). My belly is measuring 24 cm, so we're right on target as far as that. My weight on the other hand is not where the doctor would like to see it. I've only gained about 8 pounds during my pregnancy and she is getting concerned about that. She said if I don't start catching up with my weight gain by my next appointment in 4 weeks, that she's going to schedule another ultrasound to make sure everything is growing properly and looking okay inside there. She's concerned about the possibility of intrauterine growth retardation so she wants to take a peek in there just to make sure all is going well. I wasn't really concerned until now. Anyone else deal with low maternal weight gain?
sig2017_zpsneeoat7k.jpg

Comments

• Options
    twicejesstwicejess Posts: 228
    edited November -1
    I have a 2 friends that literally gained nothing until their 3rd trimester. Neither of them are overweight and the one is really skinny. the skinny one only gained 4 lbs total but the baby weighed in at 8 lbs at birth. I can't remember how much weight the other friend gained, not much but her baby was also healthy at birth.

I think it just really depends on your body and your metabolism (which can change when pregnant). I am overweight and I gained 3 lbs from the beginning to 23 weeks. However, from 23 weeks to 27 weeks...8 lbs. It just varies so much. And that baby is going to take what that baby needs from YOU. Unless you're starving yourself...that baby is getting what it needs from your intake. Don't stress!
    I am sure the babe is fine!
  • Options
    mknbaby2mknbaby2 Posts: 405
    edited November -1
    Don't worry... I kept asking my Dr at every appointment why I wasn't gaining and she said you will in the 3rd trimester and Oh Boy was she right!! I ended up gaining 20-25 lbs or so but it all came off pretty quick :)
    P1050420-1.jpg
  • Options
    GoobieGoobie Posts: 3,515
    edited November -1
    My Dr's all panicked when I was expecting Moosie, I was really thin when I get pregnant with her, and with the constant nausea I not only didn't gain weight, I LOST 15 pounds in the first 2 trimesters... then gained 40 in the last 12 weeks! It was crazy, all of a sudden I was starving all the time and my belly grew daily! I would try not to worry about it too much, and hey, if you get an extra peek at your wee man, thats pretty cool!
    tt125c22.aspx

Need to update a ticker, Silas Anthony Jordon born Oct 11, 2013. 6th baby, so much love!
  • Options
    2moms2moms Posts: 731 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dp was fit and average weight when she got pregnant with C. She only gained 3 pounds before our 20 week appointment. Our OB want concerned at all. Now C.was only 5 lb 13 oz at birth but perfectly healthy.
    Pzl2m5.png
    LNiUm5.png
  • Options
    starfish2318starfish2318 Posts: 243
    edited April 2011
    My sister in law got back to her pre-preg wt. around 30 weeks, she lost weight up until then. She ended up gaining 7 pounds her whole preg. She gave birth at 36 weeks to a 5 lb. 6 oz. baby. Her belly measured 2-3 weeks behind the entire time.
  • Options
    ncmomstobencmomstobe Posts: 549
    edited November -1
    If you've always been active and in shape, one thing to consider is that you may have lost a few pounds of muscle that compensated for other gains due to pregnancy. It seems if your measurements are okay, the baby must be growing, too.
  • Options
    sara291sara291 Posts: 1,042
    edited November -1
    I was the same way but packed on the pounds my last trimester for a total of 25 gained total.
  • Options
    LKLK Posts: 711
    edited November -1
    I did not gain more than 5 five lbs my entire pregnancy with Paige. Paige was born 9/26 and that summer I wore a two piece bathing suit and you could not tell I was even pregnant--I also went to senior prom with a tightish fitting dress and no one could tell. I weighed 98lbs when I got pregnant. My OB was very concerned--then two days before they did an u/s and told me that right Paige was born she was going to be rushed to a different hospital so she could get the best care--they said she would have to stay there until she reached 5lbs. Then two days later Paige was born and she was 8lbs 12 oz and perfectly healthy--we actually took her home the day she was born--they told us that they have never been so wrong. So please try not to get freaked out. Good luck!
  • Options
    palegreenpalegreen Posts: 1,478
    edited November -1
    I feel a bit relieved after hearing all of your feedback. I'm betting that I'll be the type who blows up the last several weeks to make up for lost time (hello stretch marks!). I'm sure my doctor is just erring on the side of caution. :)
    sig2017_zpsneeoat7k.jpg