Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Another allergic reaction

KariKari Posts: 1,765
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
Six months ago (or so) Justin had an allergic reaction on day 10 of amoxicillin. He went to bed with what looked like 10-20 mosquito bites and itched all night. The next morning he had hundreds of angry-looking little welts which over the course of the next week turned into erythema multiforme minor.

Two nights ago he started a 5-day cycle of azithromycin. This morning he had about 6 mosquito-bite marks on his right leg, a slightly swollen eyelid, and no itching. I asked daycare to strip him at noon and call me with what they saw. The report was 10 on left leg, 8 on right arm, 5 on left arm, 1 on chin, 4 on back, both eyes puffy, armpit red. They gave him a dose of benadryl and I came and picked him up and didn't see hardly any red marks. He wasn't itchy at all. Now he's been sleeping for 3 hours, which he doesn't usually do even when I give him a little benadryl for his nose (daycare gave him 3/4 tsp., which is the allergy dose; I usually give him 1/2 tsp. for a runny nose).

His doctor is referring him to an allergist ASAP before she'll prescribe any more drugs, which I'm thankful for. The last time he had a reaction, she said they don't typically refer kids to an allergist until they're five.

Anyway, anyone been through the process and want to advise me? I'm wondering what I ought to bring up and what's important to be looking for (for example, since amoxicillin and azithromycin are completely different drugs, I wonder if he might be allergic to the flavoring that's added to them). I'm also curious if the difference in the two reactions is indicative of anything. Any thoughts?
100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
r9vOm4.png
Ri4Gm4.png

Comments

• Options
    LKLK Posts: 711
    edited November -1
    I am so sorry Justin is going through this. How much does he weigh? Beck has allergies (environmental) and we were told he could only have a 1/2 of teaspoon of Benedryl-- he is 28ish lbs. I am curious because the few times that we gave it to him it didn't seem to help him and it didn't make him sleepy at all--so maybe we did not give him enough???

Well good luck at the allergist-- I am very allergic to all amoxicillin type of antibiotics and azithomycin derived antibiotics and all sulfa derived drugs. I am also allergic to all NSAIDS. ( I am allergic to the point where I have gone into anaflactive shock and have had to be intubated 4 times). Now my grandmother is allergic to a ton of meds but only because of a certain dye--so she isn't really allergic to the actual meds. I am also deathly allergic to bees. I did not go to an allergist until I was 4 or 5 but to test my allergies I had scratch tests on my arms and back-- I had to have allergies shots all the time until I was in my 20's-but I also have acute asthma (well I did but it has been fine since I was pregnant with Beck). Anyway I really don't have any helpful advice but I sure hope Justin feels better soon.
  • Options
    Sunshine4BabySunshine4Baby Posts: 378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the same problem with my son , he is 20 months now 22 lbs and 33 " tall - just for comparison - he kept getting ear infections and was prescribed antibiotics, he has been allergic to all of them. Amoxicillan he was fine with the first time but got an all over rash the second time, everything else was a reaction after 2 days others - cedfinir (bright red poop - was stripping his body of iron) - Augmentin (he had diarhea with no smell- didnt know he went until it soaked thru his clothes) ... there are many more I can't remember off the top of my head including one that the doc promised me he couldn't get a reaction from if eaten with yogurt but he still got a massive yeast infection. Because I do not want him to get tubes in his ears if at all possible he is now on a low dose antibiotic called Primsol - He gets it every day, since being on this for 5 months now, no ear infections and he hasn't gotten sick to where he needs an antibiotic. It is the only solution we have found to avoid the reactions and get results. I am nervous as to what I will do when he gets older and is sick :( The Doc has not suggested taking him to an allergist, but I am thinking I will ask him at his next appointment ....
  • Options
    Shaeley MaeShaeley Mae Posts: 1,731
    edited November -1
    I never used to be allergic to anything .... until my doctors perscribed 10-day doses of antibiotics.
    On about day 8 of some kind of "_ _ _ _cillin" I broke out in horrible hives. I had developed an allergy from the excessive amount of the antibiotic.
    Years later, on about day 8 of some kind of "sulfite" antibiotic I did the same thing.

My doctor basically explained that the anitbiotics had accoplished their mission early-on in the dosing, and towards the end they were just surplus in my system and my immune system started fighting back.

To this day, most doctors won't perscribe me an antibiotic unless it's a critical situation, as they don't want to risk a similar reaction and further dwindle my antibiotic options in the future.
    And quite honestly, that's fine with me. I'm not much of a medicine person. I prefer to let my body heal itself.
    IMG_0408-rs.jpgIMG_7844-rs.jpg
  • Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited November -1
    LK - Justin's only about 21 pounds, which might explain why he slept for 4.5 hours total this afternoon after he got the meds. Yuck!

His reaction looks like almost nothing right now, and he didn't itch at all this time. Here's hoping that it stays that way!
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    Poor Justin. Kate's benadryl dose is 1/4 teaspoon so I'd definitely say he had too much for his size. That combined with his body trying to fight something - makes sense he would have crashed for that long.

I don't know anything about allergic reactions to medications as we have only dealth with foods with Kate, but I'd do some research before you do any testing as there are several different kinds of allergy testing (at least for foods and environmental allergens). So when he makes his recommendations you might want to look at just what that entails.

Another potential solution long term might be what I have done with Kate - a combination of chiropractic care and immune boosting supplements - to avoid the illnesses that are causing him to need the antibiotics to begin with. At 17 months they wanted to put tubes in her ears. That was a year ago and last month she had her first ear infection in that entire year. It wasn't easy for me to change my mind set of "sick...dr appt...medicatiin...better". Things took time to work but it did and the difference is amazing.

Keep us posted on what the allergist says!
    image_zps64579b54.png