Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

All the organic eaters...

jenoglvjenoglv Posts: 669 ✭✭
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
Do y'all buy organic non perishable items as well? Such as pasta, bread, etc and so on. I'm not a huge organic eater, but as Rhys transitions into an real food eater, I'd like him to eat as healthy as possible. I plan to buy organic produce and make my own food in the upcoming months. Once he starts eating dairy, that will for sure be organic. And eventually when he eats the same food as me, I'll have to buy the healthiest food possible for us to share. I don't have a huge budget to buy $5 organic breads and stuff of that nature. Should I just make the best possible choices with what I have to work with? Also, is meat that is labeled all natural, vegetarian fed, no hormones, still comparable to organic? Oh, where does farmers market (non organic) produce rate on your healthy list?
Jennifer SMBC, mama to Rhys.

2012-10-29003321-1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    With bread we just make sure to get ones that don't have High Fructose Corn Syrup in them, such as Arnold brand. We also try to get the most whole grains as possible. But Esther isn't really on grains at all yet. She does oatmeal and barley, but that's it. She hasn't had bread or crackers or cereal or pasta yet and we're really in no hurry to give it to her.
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    Shaeley MaeShaeley Mae Posts: 1,731
    edited November -1
    I don't worry too much about non-perishables, but if they're available, and a comparable price, why not? : )

These are my organic staples:
    - milk
    - yogurt (Yo Baby)
    - raisins
    - Annie's Deluxe Elbows & Four Cheese Sauce (it tastes better than ANYTHING else on market and it has WAY less sodium than anything else on the market ..... and it's organic ; )
    - Annie's Hunny Bunny Grahams (comparable to Teddy Grahams)
    - Annie's Oganic Cheddar Bunnies (comparable to Goldfish)
    - most meats (but I've recently begun to subsitute the Pilgrim's Pride Fit & Easy chicken because it's cheaper, but nearly as healthy as the organic option).
    - frozen fruits and veggies (I have a hard time finding fresh organic produce around here)

I used to LOVE the big farmers market in downtown Dallas (near Deep Ellum, if my memory serves me correctly) .... but I tend to shy away from most farmers markets these days as the local ones are nothing more than roadside grocery stores. They literally sell plums from Chile, oranges from California, etc. But even then, I'm very concerned about the pesticides that exist on "farmer's market" produce. I don't think they are regulated by the FDA the same way that grocery store produce is.
    IMG_0408-rs.jpgIMG_7844-rs.jpg
  • Options
    PtownMomsPtownMoms Posts: 768
    edited November -1
    Now that we've moved back to central PA we're doing the whole "buy local, buy fresh" thing. There are quite a few organic farms in our area...some are at farmers markets...some just let you come to their farm and buy right from them. My mom also has a large garden so a lot of our produce, and some fruit come from that. We'll also buy our meat locally.

This spring/summer we are actually joining a crop share at a local farm. Basically we pay a fee for the season or the year OR we can go work here and there..and then we can get fruits/veggies that we can't grow (or are hard to grow) on our own. Not sure if you have something like that in your area...but it's worth looking into. It will definitely cut down on the amount of money we have to pay for produce at the grocery store.

Because we'll be saving money on produce, meat, cleaning supplies (we're switching to mostly natural homemade cleaners)...we plan on buying most other things organic as well...pasta, bread, etc.

We have a large amish population where we live...and they usually sell stuff for CHEAP. Unfortunately they typically use a lot of pesticides and stuff...in fact they are probably the "farmers" who use the most yucky stuff. There are some organic amish...but not many.
    Carrie & Monica

sig_zps0be86692-1_zpse4fe5311.jpg
  • Options
    LKLK Posts: 711
    edited November -1
    We try to buy everything organic---and for some reason I just thought the berries we bought were organic--I was wrong. Now Beck loves strawberries and blueberries and I cannot find organic ones so we have not been giving him any berries. Does anyone know where to get organic berries? We live close to everything---maybe I should just try to grow some myself???
    I do Not have a green thumb so any thoughts would be great!!
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    I buy almost everything organic but if you can't then what k&h said about no high fructose corn syrup (in ketchup and things like that) and the least amount of preservatives etc is the way to go.

Also, do yourself a favor and skip making baby food. It's such a waste. Most people end of using Earth's Best or something because they buy a few jars for when they are out and what not and don't ya know the kids end up liking it better? Best bet is to skip purees all together and start giving him the foods you eat from the get go. You can look up baby lead weaning for ideas and tips. One of the best things I ever did for Kate.
    image_zps64579b54.png