Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

OT:Women's health clinics

allthingsluckyallthingslucky Posts: 467
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
DP has lumps in her breast, sometimes she says they are painful. I have googled and called every listing and everyone has said they only help women over the age of 40. She doesn't have insurance, I've even tried the health department and they can't help. Does anyone know of a place that will help young women get a breast exam, I live in central florida, but if there are larger organizations that run nationally that would be helpful too. I have contacted Susan G Koman and the other larger breast cancer awareness organizations and they don't offer services to women of DPs age.. I am at a loss of what to do.. its about to the point of going to the ER, again, last time the said she needed to have it followed up by a Dr, but didn't have anyone to reffer us to.. I'm very frustrated with health care at this point.

Comments

• Options
    ninefireflyninefirefly Posts: 137
    edited November -1
    Doesn't Planned Parenthood do breast exams? I thought I read that they do them for low-income folks or those without insurance. . . worth checking out anyway. Our healthcare system sucks.
    56mqojwp3.png
    5961vwhu7.png
  • Options
    Shaeley MaeShaeley Mae Posts: 1,731
    edited April 2011
    Ummmmm .... just in case ...... I would absolutely recommend getting health insurance quickly (like, before she goes to get any testing done). In the event that there IS a problem, she will have a VERY difficult time getting insured with a diagnosed "pre-existing" condition. And I'm sure out-of-pocket (without insurance) medical care is going to be through the roof!!

Good luck!!
    IMG_0408-rs.jpgIMG_7844-rs.jpg
  • Options
    ChrysanthemumChrysanthemum Posts: 1,205 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you looked into this?

http://www.ubcf.info/c/258/free-breast-cancer-screening

Good luck, I had a benign fibroid removed from my breast when I was 25, so I totally understand your worry.

I'll be thinking about you!
  • Options
    twicejesstwicejess Posts: 228
    edited November -1
    I am with Shaeley May. BEFORE you go anywhere, get some insurance. Obviously I don't know anything about your financial status but check the gov websites and check the income restrictions on assisted health care. It may not be the best coverage but better than none at all. If she makes too much for that...look into individual and sign up before you go. Make sure you can cancel at any time though! If it turns out to be nothing and you want to cancel it you can but if it turns out to be something that requires surgery...you'll want the coverage.

I had coverage between jobs that was decent for $145/month through blue cross.

I hope it is nothing though! I'd just hate to see you have to deal with major medical bills if there is a way around it!
  • Options
    allthingsluckyallthingslucky Posts: 467
    edited November -1
    DP and I were talking about getting her an indivdual health insurance plans.. now heres the question.. how do I know what a "good" insurance plan is? I was looking and there are so many different options, co-pays, deductibles, co-insurance etc.. I'm afraid of getting plan and then it being useless. lol
  • Options
    rharris80rharris80 Posts: 43
    edited November -1
    allthingslucky -

I had to shop around for individual health insurance a while back. What I looked for was the plan that would pay the most and in return have me paying less out of pocket. Pay attention to deductables - because you will have to pay that before the insurance pays for anything. The exceptions are visits to the doctor due to illness. If you go for a routine check-up, your deductable will apply (in most individual healthplans).

Since you live in central florida - there is a blue cross blue shield office right there in the winter park village off Orange Ave. Maybe a visit there would give you the answers you are looking for.

Good luck to you both! We lucked out when my job started offering domestic partner coverage and so now, Holly is on my coverage. I wish all companies did that for their employees.
    Becky
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    Check out ehealthinsurance.com for some preliminary quotes. Then call them and tell them what you think might work best for your (higher co pay maybe with lower monthly payments if she doesn't go to the dr a lot). They are very helpful.
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    TrishlettesTrishlettes Posts: 674
    edited November -1
    I work in a free clinic here in MD and our health dept does exams for under 40. you might have to go to the Family planning clinic and say youre interested in birth control (which you dont really have to) but after the pelvic and breast exam they can get you into the "young komen" program for under 40. They will do everything from Mamograms to needle biopsies to mastectomies.
    54W9ZxL.jpg54W9m5.png
  • Options
    LKLK Posts: 711
    edited November -1
    I would call Planned Parenthood and/or your local hospital. I know that here in CT we have free breast cancer screenings often and if they find anything they will find a doctor that will follow up with you. Well good luck!!
  • Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited November -1
    If you do purchase insurance, there is often a waiting period before benefits kick in, so I'd suggest Planned Parenthood. Otherwise, you might pick up the insurance and not be able to get an exam for 3 months or so without the insurance saying that it was a pre-existing condition.
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png