Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Delaying MMR?

CharmedCharmed Posts: 205
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
So... today was the day. We were supposed to get the chicken pox shot and the MMR vaccine. I just could not make myself not feel nervous about the MMR shot, so I told them I wanted to wait on that one.

I know that it is probablly an irrational fear and that there is no scientific evidence linking MMR to autism, but when a mom looks at you and says that their child was fine prior to MMR and that a light went out after they got that vaccine; it makes you a little crazy.

Our pedi says that MMR vaccine gets a bad name because it is given right around the ago of onset, when autism symptoms start to manifest. I've read the studies "proving" there is no link, but there lingers the question in my mind. Honestly, I think that we just don't know. We don't know, and therefore it scares me.

I'm not going to forgoe the vaccine altogether; just waiting until well past 2 years old. Our son has no indication of any autistic characteristics and there is no family history on my side, so I really have no logical reason to worry, but mommy brains are not always logical when it comes the things that could harm our children. LOL

I guess I just wanted to get some other opinions and any info that you guys had. Is anyone else delaying MMR or other shots?

I'm just so conflicted in my feelings about it. I want my son to get the vaccine, because I feel that is best, but I'm scared to death of the potential harm.... I feel this way about all of his vaccines, really.
combatbootsflipflops.jpg

DHLLm5.png

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    ... I also delayed MMR because I've read bad things about doing MMR and chicken pox together. I guess now I am trying to decide WHEN to get MMR. I think I want to wait until after 2.
    combatbootsflipflops.jpg

DHLLm5.png
  • Options
    ninefireflyninefirefly Posts: 137
    edited November -1
    I think people just want to find something to blame for thier children getting autism and the MMR vaccine just happened to be it. In my opinion I think that artificial food dyes and preservatives are a more likely cause since diet changes can greatly improve the symptoms of autism. However, we are delaying that vaccine as well though mainly just because our DD is small for her age and I want her to be a little bigger when she gets it since it is a pretty hefty vaccine. There's no harm in delaying it a bit for your own peace of mind.
    56mqojwp3.png
    5961vwhu7.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just looked at some delayed vaccine schedules and noticed that some of them look like they are using a separate shot for mumps, measles, and rubella at different ages. I didn't even know that was an option. Anyone know about that? It looks like they get a seperate vac for each (spread out over the first couple of years) and then the combination MMR booster shot when they're 5.
    combatbootsflipflops.jpg

DHLLm5.png
  • Options
    friendamyfriendamy Posts: 588
    edited November -1
    you can split it up and get three separate jabs, but not all doctors have access to the individual vaccines, or they don't offer it that way - so be sure to ask! :)

I delayed a few vaccinations simply because I didn't like to give a lot at once (and a few times he was sick so we put them off for a few months)... he got the MMR at 2.5 I think, and the chicken pox just after he turned 3.

if you're concerned, that's fine. you don't gave to rationalize it to anyone - you're allowed to worry! :)
    Amy (39)
    DS (7) - d#470
    Boy, n.: a noise with dirt on it.

age.png
  • Options
    Shaeley MaeShaeley Mae Posts: 1,731
    edited November -1
    I only delayed L's by 1 month.
    And even then, I only did it because she got her DTaP and Varicella at the same time. I didn't want to overload her with the MMR too.
    IMG_0408-rs.jpgIMG_7844-rs.jpg
  • Options
    coryandamandacoryandamanda Posts: 1,527
    edited November -1
    We don't do any vax together, we always do one at a time. It means alot more trips to the dr for "shot only" appts but it is worth it. When Lex was a baby we did get a couple of hers together and she was so feverish and miserable for 24 hrs we decided not to do that anymore with any of our kids. I think it is just too much for their little bodies. So our kids do get ALL of the vax, but they only get one a month. By the time they are 2-2 1/2 they are all caught up. When they get the MMR, we try not to get anything either the month before or month after as well so it is given all by itself.
    The only time our girls got more than one shot at a time was the flu shot along with a vax one time. We are trying to decide what to do with the boosters and vax that are due at age 4-6 since the child is obviously much bigger. I'd like to continue to just get one at time but Lex is now old enough that she is scared of the shots and voices her opinion about getting them all the time LOL So, to keep taking her back for them again and again might be traumatic so we might get 2 at a time at that point. Haven't decided yet.
    July 4, 2015
    image_2.jpgu
  • Options
    melmel Posts: 793
    edited November -1
    The vaccine manufacturer discontinued distribution of the separate M, M and R vaccines a couple of years ago and I haven't heard about them starting again, so they are difficult to impossible to find. We have delayed all vaccines and have not had the MMR. I don't believe it *causes* autism, but I do think vaccines overloading the immune system could be one of several triggers.
    Jjr6m5.png
  • Options
    fischfisch Posts: 570 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gettings shots can be traumatic - the older they are they more cognizant they are of the experience. We started out spreading ours. Honestly though, I just wanted to get them over with while he was still young enough to be soothed with a lollipop or a sticker. Kids do have to get so many these days, and it's so hard to watch. I am more concerned about that part of it then any side effects from them. I have thoroughly read the research and asked the questions and feel we are capable of making an educated decision based on that knowledge.
    age.png

age.png
  • Options
    angnjakeangnjake Posts: 13
    edited November -1
    I have a 12 year old Autistic son, I don't blame the MMR vaccine but I will tell you that I delayed it in my 3 other children until their 2 yr checkup. I am one of those moms that will tell you that something changed after he got the mmr although he was never quite right to begin with. Don't let anyone make you feel bad for delaying. You are the mom and you know what is best for your child.
    Angela
    mom to
    Nathan 12yrs
    Enrico 10yrs
    Demecio 3yrs
    Baby Sophia born 11/18/09
  • Options
    annerbonesannerbones Posts: 1,812
    edited November -1
    I find it interesting how different dr.s and states do different things. Our Ped. won't even give the option of the MMR until 15 months. I already told him we were delaying. He wanted to know why - I said the same things Charmed said, I am intelligent - I know that the MMR vax does not cause autism but there is so much unknown I would rather put Maggie's life and safety first and wait. If there is an outbreak in the area of Measles (there was a few months ago) then I may re think it. I think it is horrible that this vaccination comes with all 3 mixed in I wish it was single vaccinations so you could spread them out more easily.
    raF7m7.png
    Progesterone therapy and baby aspirin daily

Two miscarriages in between (August 2012 - same donor as Maggie, and December 2014 with husband)
    Maggie
    PNa0m7.png
  • Options
    2moms2moms Posts: 731 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I regret that we didn't delay the MMR vaccine...but its over now...so we live and we learn. Our son got it at his 12 month pedi appointment because that's standard here. After he got it he broke out with a HORRIBLE rash that was all over his body. The pedi seems to think it was a "viral" infection but I'm 100% sure it was caused by the vaccine due to the research and pictures I found online. I think we will delay the 2nd MMR vaccine though even though the rash didn't harm him it was very very very scary!
    Pzl2m5.png
    LNiUm5.png
  • Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited November -1
    I've delayed it. My plan was to have him get it this summer when he's two, but he's had so many autoimmune issues related to his allergies that he needs to be really, really healthy for a while before I'll okay it.

He'll get the chicken pox vaccine just before he has to have it to go to school, so at 4.
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png
  • Options
    lesrmhlesrmh Posts: 654
    edited November -1
    I delayed the MMR from 12 months to 15 months and only got that. I am not giving the chicken pox vaccine and am hoping to find a chicken pox party instead! :)
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    For those of you choosing the natural immunity option to chicken pox; I have a question. The only reason that I agreed to the vac was because I thought that it would prevent shingles. Chicken pox is not such a big deal, but the possibility of developing shingles later in life from having chicken pox is what scared me. I had thought of skipping the chicken pox vaccine, because it is not 100% and may not provide life long immunity, but wanted to prevent the risk of shingles.

So, my question is: Does the vac protect against shingles OR since a vaccine is a weakened form of the virus being put into the body, would you still be susceptible to shingles?
    combatbootsflipflops.jpg

DHLLm5.png
  • Options
    annerbonesannerbones Posts: 1,812
    edited November -1
    You get a different vaccine for shingles. :(

My goal was to get Maggie exposed naturally but I had to have my mom take her to the dr and my mom mentioned that chicken pox was going around at daycare. So the dr. and my mom decided to give Maggie the vaccine. Ugh!!
    raF7m7.png
    Progesterone therapy and baby aspirin daily

Two miscarriages in between (August 2012 - same donor as Maggie, and December 2014 with husband)
    Maggie
    PNa0m7.png
  • Options
    texas4texas4 Posts: 60
    edited November -1
    I got the book by Dr. Sears because I had so many questions. We delayed shots not because of fear of autism, but because I just didn't want so much aluminum in their little bodies at once. We did like most pp, and only one shot at a time. The MMR we delayed till they were 14 months old because that was closer to their actual due date. I agree with mel, I don't think you can separate those 3 anymore. The chicken pox we were considering not getting at all, but they did get it at their 2 year old checkup (at 26 months) and we haven't had any shots since.
    Karen & Lori (DP & bio-mom)
    CIMG1219.jpgCIMG1306.jpg
    CIMG1794.jpg
    L on the left, G on the right

DssGm6.png