Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

TTC #2 Question

2moms2moms Posts: 731 ✭✭
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
Dp is covered under my health insurance and she will be carrying our baby again. AI is covered at 50% through our health insurance and fertility meds are covered through our prescription insurance (at a very low cost). However IVF and more costly procedures are not covered. We conceived C at home but I'm wondering if we should see an RE for baby number 2? I'm considering it because when we were TTC C we used 12 vials total over 4 cycles. A full sibling is very important to us and we only have 10 vials of C's donor. Should we try a couple cycles at home or go the Dr assisted route? All suggestions are welcome!
Pzl2m5.png
LNiUm5.png

Comments

• Options
    GoobieGoobie Posts: 3,515
    edited November -1
    I would say chart chart chart and get to know your (or her) cycle inside out, then ask on the TTC side about all the recent BFPs using one well timed vial. Might be able to be done! No matter which way you go, best of luck to you!
    tt125c22.aspx

Need to update a ticker, Silas Anthony Jordon born Oct 11, 2013. 6th baby, so much love!
  • Options
    tc0104tc0104 Posts: 579 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We are fans of the RE...especially since you have some coverage on your insurance.
  • Options
    coryandamandacoryandamanda Posts: 1,527
    edited November -1
    We were in the same boat with limited vials. We didn't have coverage for AI though. We decided to give it a try at home first, and luckily along the way we acquired more vials with the inventory they did or else we would have blew through them all. We tried a couple times and then instead of going to an RE we did a clomid cycle through our regular OB and it did the trick. Maybe you can try that route first if you have a willing OB. We had success on the first clomid cycle we did of only 50 mg day 3-7 with no ultrasound monitoring or trigger or anything else. If you don't have any known fertility issues that might be just the little push to have quick success if you would want to give something like that a try. We are fans of doing it all at home as "natural" as possible so we always go that route first. Hoping we can have success that way with #4 when the time comes with the vials we have left :-)
    July 4, 2015
    image_2.jpgu
  • Options
    yfnryfnr Posts: 418
    edited November -1
    I lean more toward less invasive, less medical intervention. I only had 10 vials of my donor when TTC M. Having the same donor was very important to me as well. In fact if I didn't conceive with my 10 vials I likely would have given up. My plan was to try 3 times at home - 2 vials each time and then 4 tries with a RE - they typically only use one vial for a total of 7 tries. I conceived M on the second try at home with 6 vials to spare :)

I think the second go round I was so much better educated on what I was doing an there for has pretty quick success.
    Jamie
    Mommy to Twins plus One - donor 733
    DSC08654_zps76947225.jpg
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    I'm thinking try one or two cycles at home ... then go the RE route if necessary. But hopefully it won't be necessary!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    allthingsluckyallthingslucky Posts: 467
    edited November -1
    If you know you have limited vials I would cut to the chase and go to your dr and ask for a low dose of clomid to give you the extra boost. I would only use 2 vials because if you chart and know DPs cycles well enough 2 should do the trick not problem. Maybe try one or two cycles at home using just clomid and if no success then I would move to a RE with monitored cycles, possibly injectibles and a trigger shot, and if all else fails I would save 2 or 3 vials for IVF. But I would only use IVF as a last ditch effort as they are much more expensive and I think its very possible to get pregnant without it assuming theres no major fertility problems. If your insurance covers it, or some of it, it might not hurt to go get your baselines and what not checked just to make sure theres no cysts or blocked tubes or anything.
  • Options
    jenoglvjenoglv Posts: 669 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree that you might want to try a couple times at home before moving to the RE. Unless you are wanting to have some vials to spare for a possible 3rd baby. When I TTC again, I plan to go back to my RE and ask for the same protocol that worked for my BFP cycle. I have very limited vials, so I don't want to waste any chances. I one cycle I tried at home, I was so stressed by all the OPKs and stuff, that my ovulation was thrown off, and I think I wasted my vials.
    Jennifer SMBC, mama to Rhys.

2012-10-29003321-1.jpg
  • Options
    twicejesstwicejess Posts: 228
    edited November -1
    If a full sibling is very important I'd go right to the RE. Do you have plans for a 3rd at any point? It would be nice to have Leftover vials just in case!
  • Options
    2moms2moms Posts: 731 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks everyone. We want 3-4 kids depending on our finances so dr assisted is most likely the way we should go.
    Pzl2m5.png
    LNiUm5.png
  • Options
    twicejesstwicejess Posts: 228
    edited November -1
    It's very cool that your insurance covers some portion. Ours covered Nothing! Ick.

Good luck!
  • Options
    jenoglvjenoglv Posts: 669 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If that were the case about 3-4 kids, I would definately go directly to an RE.
    Jennifer SMBC, mama to Rhys.

2012-10-29003321-1.jpg