Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

NAME...

twicejesstwicejess Posts: 228
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
Ok. So, we are having a little girl and have been having a HECK of a time with a name for this little one. So, what do you all think of the name Elliotte Katherine?????????????? Yes, Elliot is a boys name but we're hoping that the "te" at the end feminizes it a bit. But does it confuse it?

I need HONEST opinions here. Do you think it would be better spelled Elliot. Or Elliette (similar to Juliette or Bridgette endings).

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    coryandamandacoryandamanda Posts: 1,527
    edited November -1
    I've heard the name Elliot used as a girl's name a few times lately. The only thing I can think of when I hear the name is E.T. saying it!! It isn't a name I'd choose but I do like boyish names for girls and I do like it with Katherine.
    Make sure you like the nickname Elli because I am sure people will try to call her that whether you do or not.
    July 4, 2015
    image_2.jpgu
  • Options
    lovelymswolflovelymswolf Posts: 149
    edited November -1
    Elliot is the DP and futuremoms daughter from the boards.. I LOVE it!! They call her Ellie.. We considered it for a girl as well. But we had two boys :)
    Fall2011358-1-1.jpg
    3qtim7.png
  • Options
    annerbonesannerbones Posts: 1,812
    edited November -1
    I love Elliott for a girl, that is on my girl name list for the next baby. :)
    raF7m7.png
    Progesterone therapy and baby aspirin daily

Two miscarriages in between (August 2012 - same donor as Maggie, and December 2014 with husband)
    Maggie
    PNa0m7.png
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    While I'm not a fan of Elliot, I like the traditional spelling much more than trying for the French diminuitive (-tte). And like Cory said, make sure you like the nickname Elli because that was my first thought of what I'd call her if you named her Elliot! On a positive note, I do really like the way it sounds with Katherine :)

One other comment ... Lauren is a traditional name for a little girl. Elliot is a traditional name for a boy. You're setting yourself up for years telling people when you say "Lauren and Elliot" that you have two daughters!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    GoobieGoobie Posts: 3,515
    edited November -1
    While I love love love the name Elliott, I prefer it for a boy. However, I agree with some of the above, I would not change the spelling. In my opinion, when a name is "feminized" it just looks sort of silly to me, not to mention it is impossible to find personalized things with "your" spelling.
    tt125c22.aspx

Need to update a ticker, Silas Anthony Jordon born Oct 11, 2013. 6th baby, so much love!
  • Options
    jodyjody Posts: 152
    edited November -1
    I am not a fan...I think it is more boyish than girlish..and I agree with Zen people may think you have a girl and a boy. But I do prefer traditional names...just my opinion. I know finding a name is hard. I wish you all the luck in the world...You know I am one of YOUR biggest fans...love ya.
    607-1-1.jpg
  • Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    I like Eliette, which is actually a real name. It means "God has answered". I would think it would likely be pronounced "ell-yet" most of the time, so you'd have to think of that.

You could also think about Elyette, or Elletta, Alette, Olette, or Eliesse. Or, oddly, it just popped into my head, Adele.
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    fischfisch Posts: 570 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love it too, spelled the traditional "boy" way. I so go for it. I believe when you do crazy spellings, it just looks like the parents don't know how to spell.
    age.png

age.png
  • Options
    TxMoms2BTxMoms2B Posts: 532
    edited November -1
    Elliott is on our short list for a girl (if we ever have one). We are thinking a very feminie name for the middle. Or Hadley for the 1st and elliott for the middle.
  • Options
    rspbryswrlrspbryswrl Posts: 136
    edited November -1
    Love the name, like the traditional spelling though... really like Elliot Caroline...
  • Options
    denno26denno26 Posts: 24
    edited November -1
    Well I'm one of those that took a typically boy's name, messed with the spelling, and turned it into a girl's name. LOL And while I really like how I spelled Haidyn, I got it out of a baby book, not out of my head, so I'm limited in how much credit I can take for it. :-)
    I really like the name Elliot for a girl. Putting the e at the end may get some pronunciations with a long o sound. Have fun with it, though. It's your daughter and it won't take much in the way of correcting people, if it takes any.
  • Options
    destinydestiny Posts: 723 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with K&H I like the name Eliette as a girls name and the spelling. Its 2011! Parents are being creative with baby names and being unique. For some reason im a fan of unique spelling names that don't go over board and still easy to pronounce. Me and DP already have came up with a boy and girl name ( girl name using both of our names )......where just waiting for our BFP!!! But GL with whatever you choose twicejess i'am sure it will be a beautiful name.
    KZNUm6.png
  • Options
    JebaJeba Posts: 280
    edited November -1
    I love the name! Reminds me of Scrubs which I am a big fan of :0) I prefer the traditional spelling as well. I also really like KH suggestion for Eliette. I have never seen it like that before.
    jj5wy0.jpg

2GbYm4.png
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    Wait, you aren't going to name the baby Lauren? Wouldn't that just be so much easier - 2 Jess's and 2 Lauren's? haha

Seriously though, I LOVE the name. I am a fan of siblings names "going" together though so one traditional name and one not sounds a little off to me, but I'm kinda of weird when it comes to that.

If I ever had another girl her name would be Elizabeth Lesley and I would call her Elley so I definitely like the nickname but Ella, Elly and Elle are all very popular right now.

Obviously, I LOVE the middle name. Just can't go wrong with that one!
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    LKLK Posts: 711
    edited November -1
    I think Elliot is a great name for a girl. I like boyish names for girls but I don't like traditional names mixed with more unique names--so I think it's a little off with Lauren. I do like different spellings and I would not worry about personalization because you can order anything online now. I really don't like the spelling of Beckham--I wanted to spell it without the "h" we decided against it because I really wanted to get him David Beckham soccer jersey's and other David Beckham soccer things (I know that has got to be one of the dumbest reasons I have ever heard) I am very happy now that we spelled his name the way we did. I am not a huge fan of traditional names but I do love the name "Kate" if we were going to have another girl we wanted to use just "Kate" as a middle name--we probably would not have used it because I really like our kids middle names to be family names and we have no Kates or Katherines in either of our families. I personally like the name Elliot much better than Hazel though--lol. Good luck--I think naming kids has got to be one of the hardest thing ever!!
  • Options
    EMG_RELEMG_REL Posts: 2,379
    edited November -1
    I love it! It was my nickname growing up from some of my aunts because my first name begins with "Eli," and I, apparently, used to talk about my friend Elliott a lot when I was a toddler, so it stuck! Anyway, I'm also a sucker for names that relate to literature, so spelling it Eliot (like T.S. Eliot) would appeal to me. :-)
    wqr43o.jpg
    IRcim4.png
    iaXMm4.png
  • Options
    smartycat92smartycat92 Posts: 564
    edited November -1
    I like Elliott but with a traditional spelling. I think adding the -ette is trying too hard and likely to get more of a negative reaction about "stealing" a boy name than if you just straight up named her Elliott. And while I adore Katherine, and I like the idea of pairing a classic middle name with a modern first name... somehow I just don't care for this combo... though I don't have any other suggestions.
    . 0vthk9cno.png
    20137aff-9c20-4097-91b7-ac919c10954f_zpsd88d3a6c.jpg
    o4bd1nxgy.png
  • Options
    mommylovemommylove Posts: 1,582
    edited November -1
    I like Elliot...traditional spelling and all. Who's to say it's only a boys name...
    be422225-267e-4ff7-94c0-a8d5baf3176a_zpse0970fea.jpg
    October 2014

Dk5Zm7.png

22gfm7.png