Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

bottled vs. tap, what do you think? X-Posted

Autumn&RyanAutumn&Ryan Posts: 157
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
I am putting this out there because higher than normal levels of arsenic were recently found in tap water in my small town. Very concerning! I drank that water while pregnant with two of my children, and they have drank it their whole lives up until about 1.5 years ago when we started getting the 5 gallon water cooler jugs. We only drink the water cooler water but I do cook with tap water and wonder if I should be concerned. We actually got the water cooler because we have a water softener and it tastes HORRIBLE, also I didn't like the idea of our water circulating through a machine before I drink it.
What does everyone drink, and why?
A friend of mine buys water buy the caseload at Costco (kirkland brand bottles) for her family but I think most people around here either drink tap, or have a well on their property...farms, ranches and all out of town homes.
I think I will stick with the 5 gallon jugs for now, I recently just switched to the BPA bottles that they offer, although I asked and they have no idea what those are made of and that concerns me a bit. They are made by a company called: HNH Packaging LLC and have a #7 on the bottom of the blue 5 gallon bottles.
Thanks ladies.

Comments

• Options
    annerbonesannerbones Posts: 1,812
    edited November -1
    I would be concerned. I would also be concerned with bathing in the water. What about having the water tested that comes into your house?
    raF7m7.png
    Progesterone therapy and baby aspirin daily

Two miscarriages in between (August 2012 - same donor as Maggie, and December 2014 with husband)
    Maggie
    PNa0m7.png
  • Options
    CharmedCharmed Posts: 205
    edited April 2011
    I would invest in a good filter that filters out whatever is in your water. (an independent test would tell you which kind you need). There is no way to tell what is in bottled water since it isn't really regulated. That, and the plastic is supposed to be bad for you too. We are in the process of installing a reverse osmosis filter. Not everyone needs that level of filtering, but my advice is to first find out what is in your water and then invest in either a whole house system or an under the sink system for your drinking/cooking water. That is the only true way to KNOW what is in your water. Some filter systems have non-salt softening systems on them too.
    combatbootsflipflops.jpg

DHLLm5.png
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    I'm okay with tap but I wouldn't be if it was shown to be unsafe. In my last condo the water was supposedly safe but if I left a glass sitting out overnight, the water turned yellow. I only drank bottled when living there. But here ... the water is just water.
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    cAtWmN84cAtWmN84 Posts: 462
    edited November -1
    we drink dasani.i worry over tap all the time.
    yqOs9SZ.jpgyqOsm5.png
    Qkvimpd.jpgQkvim4.png
    dxnZweE.jpgdxnZm5.png
  • Options
    twicejesstwicejess Posts: 228
    edited November -1
    I'd get your water tested before you do anything else. The house we lived in before was old and I was seriously afraid of the water for any use! We got it tested and it was fine.

Our house now is fine too but we use a filter just because it seems to taste a bit better?

I'd get it tested and move on from there!
  • Options
    Autumn&RyanAutumn&Ryan Posts: 157
    edited November -1
    We are moving in 2-3 months so I don't want to invest in an expensive filter but I might buy a new brita to use for the water I cook with.
    Anyone know if water cycling through a water softener is bad for you?
    What about the recycling labels, what does a #7 mean anyway?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    @ Autumn&Ryan-thats a good idea about using the brita filtered water to cook with.we have really soft water and it tastes nasty.however we only have to use 1 teaspoon to wash out clothes so we save money that way
    yqOs9SZ.jpgyqOsm5.png
    Qkvimpd.jpgQkvim4.png
    dxnZweE.jpgdxnZm5.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Charmed wrote:
    I would invest in a good filter that filters out whatever is in your water. (an independent test would tell you which kind you need). There is no way to tell what is in bottled water since it isn't really regulated. That, and the plastic is supposed to be bad for you too. We are in the process of installing a reverse osmosis filter. Not everyone needs that level of filtering, but my advice is to first find out what is in your water and then invest in either a whole house system or an under the sink system for your drinking/cooking water. That is the only true way to KNOW what is in your water. Some filter systems have non-salt softening systems on them too.

i had know idea you could do that.i prefer water filtered by reverse osmosis,taste so much better
    yqOs9SZ.jpgyqOsm5.png
    Qkvimpd.jpgQkvim4.png
    dxnZweE.jpgdxnZm5.png
  • Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We grew up in a town with arsenic in the water, drinking the tap water, and we're all just fine. That being said, I would have the water tested in your home anyway.

The numbers on the bottles can give you and idea if they're the good plastics or the bad ones. The general rule is that the low numbers on one hand are the good ones, #1 - #5, except your middle finger, #3.. if you just remember that your middle finger means something not so great, you can easily remember which are the okay plastics. The others are supposedly the bad plastics.
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    LKLK Posts: 711
    edited November -1
    We drink bottled water but Becks pedi said not to give him bottled water because it is not regulated. I would have your water tested and go from there--just remember that bottled water does not normally have fluoride in it. We do give Beck mostly tap water but we do have a filter on water tank. If I knew that our water had ANY amount of arsenic in it I could not use it or give it to anyone to drink even if I was told it was safe!! Good luck!!
  • Options
    babybabybabybaby Posts: 1,564
    edited November -1
    ooooh! i didn't know about the arsenic concern. i DID drink bottled water until i started worrying about BPA. i recently switched to a brita pitcher (and i've been thinking about getting the brita bottle that you can carry with you for filtered tap water ANYWHERE! awesome!). i switched because i was worried about the BPA in plastic bottles, and also worried about the number of plastic bottles destroying the environment. i'd read that it takes more energy to recycle plastic bottles than it's worth, so it's pointless to even bother.
  • Options
    Shaeley MaeShaeley Mae Posts: 1,731
    edited November -1
    I use a PUR filter at home for tap water, and bottled spring water at work (plastic type #1 only).
    IMG_0408-rs.jpgIMG_7844-rs.jpg
  • Options
    footprintsfootprints Posts: 235
    edited November -1
    We have a water cooler with a 5 gallon BPA free water pitcher in our house, and a water filter on our faucet. We also drink bottle water if we are in public. I would have the water tested or buy a filter.
    tt12ed52.aspx