Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

baby #2 and no clue?

twicejesstwicejess Posts: 228
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
So, we're approx. 9 weeks from having baby #2 here. Planning for a 39 week induction. OK...GREAT! WONDERFUL! BUT what do we need?

I have been trying for the past 2 months to figure out what we really need for this child and the only things I can think of are diapers and formula. I toss around things like a double stroller but I am not sure I want one. They are so bulky. I know I may need one for the few times we'll be someplace too big for Lauren to walk the entire way but it seems wasteful to buy one for just a few uses.

We have clothes out the wazoo from Lauren. Some are off season but a lot will be fine. And we even have plenty of new clothes that Lauren never even wore because she grew too fast.

Is there anything you guys can think of for baby #2 that I should have new? OR something you didn't think of for baby #2 that you wish you had gotten?

Please help! I felt more prepared for Lauren than I do this little one. And this one doesn't even have a name! I feel like such a slacker!

Comments

• Options
    onemorebabyonemorebaby Posts: 472
    edited November -1
    Lauren... I have WAY more time for you... but I still feel for ya! We have been foster parents for so long, that I have... ummm... everything. Cribs, playpens, bouncy seats, baby baths, clothes, toys, swaddlers... you name it, we have it sitting in our garage.

And we will have three showers! Ack! What do I ask for at this point?
    My blog! www.ifyoulivedhereidknowyourname.blogspot.com
    Welcome Baby Madelynn! 11/29/11
    419260_3081228479933_1540462223_2749331_1507377435_n-1.jpg
  • Options
    cAtWmN84cAtWmN84 Posts: 462
    edited April 2011
    i plan on selling my double stroller for something like the bob or another type of jogging stroller just for the ease of steering.i need it to go through gravel,unlevel groung/sand.i also just bought two really cheap $10 strollers from walmart.now i need to get the connector kit from babies r us.i think its about $10.

that might be a better option for you

i wish i had bigger swaddling blankets for liam.such a long baby.21.5"

i wish i had bought my baby sling before he was born.i could have used it sooner.my #1 baby item i can't live without

i wish i had known about sock ons from cotton babies before i spent more money trying to find socks that actually fit a newborn .
    http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_info.php?cPath=131&products_id=2303

hospital grade nasal syringe is so much better at clearing babies nose than the store bought ones,so ask for an extra one.i wore adri's out.+a cool mist humidifier,although u prob already have one

get a crock pot if you don't already have one.i can focus my energy on my kids or house work without slaving away in the kitchen.make eating healthy easier for me

1 diaper bag big enough for both kiddos stuff and mamas stuff

enjoy those sweet precious moments with the new baby,it goes my even quicker the second time around
    yqOs9SZ.jpgyqOsm5.png
    Qkvimpd.jpgQkvim4.png
    dxnZweE.jpgdxnZm5.png
  • Options
    fischfisch Posts: 570 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Us too! Totally felt so much more prepared with baby #1...although we have a baby shower coming up in the next few weeks & are hoping to score some clothes...we haven't bought much because it seems like everyone likes to buy baby clothes for showers.

We did buy a used double stroller (the kind where a kid can stand on the back) for $50 on craigslist. It's huge and bulky just like you said. I'm not sure we will ever use it as our 3 year old hasn't been in a stroller for sooo long. But maybe a theme park or two this summer? The zoo?

We need all new bottles, as ours are kind of old, gross. A few are ok. Lots of improvements since we last used them now. I'm interested in the Tommy Tippee ones?

Also, I think strollers in general have bcome much more streamlined over the last few years. Our bob looks big & bulky in comparison. I really want a new one, but we have 3 or 4 already...

Other little things, like pacifiers, bathing supplies, towels, gripe water, some pink things maybe...:) We mostly have blue.
    age.png

age.png
  • Options
    cAtWmN84cAtWmN84 Posts: 462
    edited November -1
    @fisch- i have the sit n stand ,it sucks with 2 kids in it.how do like the bob?
    yqOs9SZ.jpgyqOsm5.png
    Qkvimpd.jpgQkvim4.png
    dxnZweE.jpgdxnZm5.png
  • Options
    fischfisch Posts: 570 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the bob a lot, and it has a converter to put the carseat on top. However, for some reason our tires needs constant inflation. We've replaced them once already. It's annoying. Without air in the tires you cannot jog/run with it, but it still works.

In general it's just big compared to the newer strollers out there. Still, it was expensive enough and works well enough that I doubt we will get something new.

Honestly we use the snap and go the most.
    age.png

age.png
  • Options
    starfish2318starfish2318 Posts: 243
    edited November -1
    I know how you feel I feel so unprepared for this baby, I guess because I haven't needed to buy a lot of stuff! We just had to get boy clothes since we have girl clothes. We did buy some new bottles, because O. is still on the bottle. We have a stock pile of diapers, and buy big cases of wipes...I did buy a new diaper bag. I can't think of anything! Oh, I did get a moby wrap to try w/ this baby cause we didn't have a good baby carrier for olivia when she was small. Pretty much it!
  • Options
    twicejesstwicejess Posts: 228
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys. I am glad I am not alone! It just seems like I am so unprepared...but I think we have most stuff we need. I guess I just feel like there is more to do than there really is!
    I feel guilty that baby #2 isn't getting the same GRAND amount of everything new but it really isn't necessary when we have so much. I guess that's the way it goes!
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    Arden was a late November baby and Lydia was a March baby so it'll be a similar time/season difference with your girls and a couple of things we found in the last month were - newborn clothes, a lot of them were just too heavy for a Spring (in Texas) baby. You may find the same thing with a Yankee summer baby too. Swaddling blankets - the ones we used for Arden just seemed too warm for Lydia and we have bought the new ones which I cannot think of the names but they are kind of "gauzy" for lack of a better word. She is 4 weeks and we have yet to put socks on her. Definitely get a few different kinds of pacifiers if you don't have any. And new washcloths. We forgot how many diapers, wipes and oufits you can go through too!

If you spend money on nothing else, give yourself a treat and buy the double BOB with the infant attachment. It was my baby gift from my boss and while it isn't something we use daily, or even close, it has to be one of my favorite things! I think it is one of those purchases no one ever regrets.
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    coryandamandacoryandamanda Posts: 1,527
    edited November -1
    I keep feeling like we should be buying SOMETHING, but we really don't need much. We got a few ne cloth diapers and a pack and play. I thought we needed a bigger diaper bag but then I remembered we had one that we had stopped using because at the time it was too big. Then I thought we needed a Bumbo but our neighbors are most likely going to give is theirs. If it's a girl we have clothes coming out the wazoo, but if it's a boy we'll need some clothes.
    We're still trying to decide what to do about a stroller. We only have double strollers and there will be times when the girls don't want to be in a stroller and times when all 3 will need one so do we get a single stroller??? Not sure.
    So right now the only thing I know we need is a new bottle warmer...how boring LOL
    July 4, 2015
    image_2.jpgu
  • Options
    starfish2318starfish2318 Posts: 243
    edited November -1
    I also think that after you have had a baby, you realize how much CRAP you THOUGHT you needed for the first one, that you never used. I know at least I realized it. I thought we needed everything under the sun, and now I know what we really like, need, and will use. And some other things we just won't know until he is here what he likes or what works for him.

I know for us, the "big" baby things were and still are useless....Olivia never really used the PnP, until recently, and now she just likes the floor. She rarely used the baby glider, bouncer, swing, or jumperoo...and she hated the Bumbo. And all that crap sure takes up a LOT of space. We are keeping it for him, but once he outgrows it whether he uses it or not, its out the door to storage!!
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    I wanted everything for Shiloh. And I'm only going to have the one. But if there was a 2nd, my needs/wants would be swing (lol), crib, stroller, carseat, high chair, bouncy seat, changing table (or pad), and jumperoo. That's it for gear. As for pampers and clothes, the more the merrier!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    Cory - you might want to look for something like this to go with a stroller you already have

http://www.amazon.com/Lascal-KiddyBoard-Maxi-Stroller-Attachment/dp/B000QY6KWM

They make several kinds and some are universal. I had found a site at one time that rated if the universal ones would work well with your stroller or not.
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    smartycat92smartycat92 Posts: 564
    edited November -1
    I will also chime in and say if they are opposite season babies, you will be surprised at how many new clothes you will need for the baby. I thought with 2 boys that we would be set with clothes... maybe a few warmer things for our October baby. But Charles pretty much has had all new clothes. We are just now starting to share some of Ray's clothes. I couldn't get over how many shorts and short sleeved shirts he had and that is just not appropriate for November in MI!! Luckily we have very generous friends and family and we keep getting a little outfit here and there and we didn't have to buy much.

I also 2nd the new bottles suggestion. And our SIL gave us her double stroller and we have used it twice in 6mos. It is just too bulky and difficult to maneuver.

And get as much sleep as you can now. I was surprised by how much less sleep we are getting with 2 in the house.
    . 0vthk9cno.png
    20137aff-9c20-4097-91b7-ac919c10954f_zpsd88d3a6c.jpg
    o4bd1nxgy.png