Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Shopping carts

michgirlmichgirl Posts: 406 ✭✭
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
Jorddan can pretty much get out of any shopping cart belt, they do not tighten enough around his waist. I was putting Jax in the seat and Jorddan in the basket but then on Tues Jorddan managed to flip out of the basket onto the cement floor! I rushed to the ER and he is fine but I don't know how to contain him next time I need groceries. They have a few of the carts with the bench seats but most of the belts don't work. I have tried to think of a way to bring my own straps so he is safe any ideas? The only thing I could think of (and I don't know if it will work) is to buy a harness with a "leash" and remove the leash and somehow hook the harness to the cart maybe clip it with a climbing clamp? IS that safe? Is it considered tying up your kid and then it would be child abuse? Anyone have any thoughts or opinions?
f1xTJgw.jpgf1xTm5.png

Comments

• Options
    coryandamandacoryandamanda Posts: 1,527
    edited November -1
    Do you only have one choice of a place to shop? I will actually alot of times drive to a Wal Mart 10-15 mins away instead of going to the one right by my house because they have new carts with all the straps intact and the bench seats to fit both girls. Also, some of the grocery stores have better carts than others and there are a bunch of different ones in my area.
    I don't know how many choices of places to go in your area so I don't know if you have any other options. I would DEFINITELY complain to the store about the belts and tell them your son fell out and had to go to the ER even when he WAS strapped. Maybe they'll get their butts in gear and replace the straps. One store by me suddenly replaced all of their straps, not the carts, so I was wondering if something like that happened?!
    July 4, 2015
    image_2.jpgu
  • Options
    LKLK Posts: 711
    edited November -1
    Oh wow that's awful. I am glad he is OK--I would call the store and complain like Cory said. We have one of those covers that goes in the shopping cart that covers everything that a little one may touch. It has straps on it that strap to the shopping cart and belts Beckham in. Beck is a climber and he has fallen on his head more than once but thank goodness it was never on a cement floor---I cannot not even imagine having to bring two little ones grocery shopping--I normally leave Beck home with Lauren or Paige. I don't know if tying your kid in a shopping cart may be seem as abuse but I think it sounds like a good way to keep him safe--it just seems like if you do get the harness leash thing he may need a little more leeway (for lack of a better word) between the harness and the shopping cart. I will be very interested in how it works out and/or more replies because Beckham is such a climber as well. Good luck and I am so glad that your little one did not get seriously hurt!!
  • Options
    Hopeful2010Hopeful2010 Posts: 134
    edited November -1
    First I would talk with the manager of the store and explain about him falling out, (could be a lawsuit so honestly I bet he/she got right on fixing it). I would tell him/her you are bringing in your own restraint for your childs protection and if any employee or other customer says anything, you want him/her to back you up. Although I do not think you would have anything to worry about. I don't think I would think twice about seeing someone using their own restraint for their child. I would probably just think they had an active child or could get out of anything. I would think more of you as a mom to go those extra steps to keep him safe. Also if someone did complain of child abuse I am sure any social worker etc would also agree with being safe is not abuse.

As far as what to use, if it were me I would use whatever would work even if it was a bungee cord to keep him in, haha!! I couldn't of done it with 2 kids but when my son was younger he could get out so I would hold onto his leg while I pushed the cart and grabbed my food and put in the cart. While I was looking for food I would push the cart slow and fold my arms on the handle while my head was near his and we would sing songs. Maybe corky, but I had to keep him entertained so that I could shop. 2 is probably a different story thou.
  • Options
    GoobieGoobie Posts: 3,515
    edited November -1
    My daughter was a climber too, and I ended up putting her in a backpack carrier when I went grocery shopping, I learned if I stood too close to something she could grab stuff off the shelves, but at least she stopped falling out of the carts!
    tt125c22.aspx

Need to update a ticker, Silas Anthony Jordon born Oct 11, 2013. 6th baby, so much love!
  • Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think that you would have any recourse for a lawsuit if Jordan was in the basket of the cart.. that's why they have the signs on them not to put the kids in the basket. But I do think you could talk to the manager and gently suggest that they replace the safety straps on the seats of their carts.
    I agree that a cart cover with it's own seatbelt is probably your best option. Or, you can get straps that are replacement seatbelts at a fabric store and you can just always bring your own seat belt. It looks like amazon has some good options if you search "replacement strap" in the baby section. This looks like it would work really well: http://www.amazon.com/Leachco-Wrap-Strap-Anywhere-Safety/dp/B000F0JPRE/ref=pd_sim_ba_3
    No worries about anyone thinking child abuse there, just good safety!
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    FlowergirlFlowergirl Posts: 2,040
    edited November -1
    Just a suggestion.... maybe a belt (like you would wear) that you could put around his waist, through the seat and buckle in the back where he couldn't undo it?? I don't think there would be anything wrong with that! If I saw that, I would think, responsible parent - not child abuse. But that's just my opinion...

Just an FYI, if you complain to the store where your son fell out of the cart, your best bet is to complain that the 2-toddler carts don't have the correct straps on them, forcing you to use the regular cart. If you file a complaint about the day that your son specifically fell out of the cart, they will hopefully be sympathetic, but the fact of the matter is, it clearly states on the carts that your child must be seated in the seat and strapped in for safety. They would pull up the day in question on the cameras and see that you chose to let your child stand in the basket of the cart. I hope you know I'm not trying to sound mean - It's awful when little ones fall out of carts onto that hard floor, but I am a manager at a retail store, and unfortunately most of the child accidents like your son's, are because their parent lets them stand in the cart. With that being said, I would DEF call the store and demand that they get their toddler carts (we call them busses!) fixed so that they all have working straps! That is not negotiable and IS their responsibility to ensure your child's safety.
    After 9 yrs & 1 devastating loss, we got our BFP at 9DPO ~ and welcomed our beautiful son on Halloween! Best treat ever!!

a3cmlv.jpg
  • Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited November -1
    You can get parachute straps at Wal-Mart or craft stores, and just use them instead of the ones that come with the cart. Justin's so skinny he can stand right up in any of them unless I keep him in a fluffy winter coat. Another thought are those leashes with the 5-point harnesses. Put one of those on him, then get a caribeaner (sp?) to latch it through the loop on the harness to the cart.
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png
  • Options
    melmel Posts: 793
    edited November -1
    I agree that finding a different store sounds like the best option, but the manager should also be informed so they can get the appropriate belts on their carts. I usually drive past one store to get to one with newer, clean multi-child carts. When that isn't an option, I have put one child in the basket. However, the cart does not move unless they are sitting down. It's impossible to flip out of a cart while seated.
    Jjr6m5.png
  • Options
    michgirlmichgirl Posts: 406 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not threating or complaining to anyone about him falling it is totally my fault my child (well one of them) was in the basket part of the shopping cart.I will complain about no working straps on the toddler carts. I shop there because they have the best produce and meat in town.
    f1xTJgw.jpgf1xTm5.png
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    I had problems with Shiloh wanting to wriggle out of the seat in the carts and also when seated in high chairs in restaurants. In the beginning I would try to tighten the straps but when she still managed to work her way free I changed tactics. Instead of working with the seatbelt I started working with her. Specifically, saying "sit down" in a stern or sharp voice. I try not to increase volume because I don't want the only time she listens to be if I raise my voice. But slowly she's caught on to the idea that I mean business. My suggestion would be to do a few practice walks with the kids in the cart when focused on them and not shopping for stuff. It doesn't work perfectly for me and I don't know that I'd be able to manage as effectively with two, but it's worth a try!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    JebaJeba Posts: 280
    edited November -1
    I shop with my kids in their stroller. I push the stroller and pull the cart. Good luck finding somthing that works for you!
    jj5wy0.jpg

2GbYm4.png
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    When Kate was an infant and Arden was 1 I always wore Kate (originally on front, later in a back pack) when I had to take them both to the store. Do you have a backpack for one of the boys?
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    lesrmhlesrmh Posts: 654
    edited November -1
    I have the same problem with J in the seats with the belts, it seems no matter how tight I put it....he manages to wiggle out somehow. I have found putting the cart cover on and using that harness that goes around his chest to work the BEST. He has NEVER got out of it and it works fantastic!!!!!