Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Alabama is so far behind the rest of the United States!!!

cocobaycocobay Posts: 1,318
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
So I have been calling pediatricians all morning asking if any of the doctors in the office will do a delayed vacs schedule. The comments I have gotten trying to persuade me to do them by their schedules is rediculous. Out of 11 offices only 1 could give me a for sure answer that one of their 7 doctors would do the delayed schedule. Why is it so hard to find a doctor that will give our son what WE want? He is our son right? On top of finding a doctor that will do the delayed schedule we also have to make sure that the doctor will be ok with a lesbian family. In Alabama not everyone is so accepting. I am just so hormonal right now and I feel like we will not find a pediatrician that is right for us!! Are we just going to have to suck it up and let them give Bronx the vaccs when the doctor wants to give them? I am going to make an appt with the one pedi that will do a delayed schedule and make sure she is ok with us. Hopefully she will be and can see past our not so "normal" family.

Comments

• Options
    coryandamandacoryandamanda Posts: 1,527
    edited November -1
    I'm not sure what kind of delayed schedule you are wanting to do. Although we only do one vax at a time, our girls are never really "behind" on vax. We do one vax a month and by the age of 2 they are caught up. They might be more accepting of an "altered schedule" rather than "delaying"? Just an idea as I don't know exactly what your vax plans are exactly.
    July 4, 2015
    image_2.jpgu
  • Options
    fischfisch Posts: 570 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't understand why you have to ask? Do them when you want. You make the appointments.
    age.png

age.png
  • Options
    cocobaycocobay Posts: 1,318
    edited November -1
    I want to follow the Dr. Sears schedule and they don't want to follow any other schedule than the one they use, which is not the Dr. Sears... If I don't have my child vaccinated on their schedule they will refuse to see my child.
  • Options
    annerbonesannerbones Posts: 1,812
    edited November -1
    Just so you know you have the right to refuse a vaccination. The dr may not agree but as the parent it is your right. My dr. doesn't always agree with delaying the vaccination but I just refuse the shot and schedule a shot only appointment for the vaccination I am delaying. Lots of times the nurses understand - so try talking to one of the nurses instead of one of the receptionists.
    raF7m7.png
    Progesterone therapy and baby aspirin daily

Two miscarriages in between (August 2012 - same donor as Maggie, and December 2014 with husband)
    Maggie
    PNa0m7.png
  • Options
    BMJKBMJK Posts: 113
    edited November -1
    I know exactly what you are talking about.. I honestly LOVE the state of Alabama, its beautiful. But lord I HATE how close minded everyone is. People should be able to live their lives, and raise their children how THEY want. I can understand being closed minded if something were to endanger our kids, but they need to slack up.. Just because someone wants to raise their child a bit differently than " TRADITIONAL" there is nothing wrong with it. I think pediatricians should respect y'all as mothers, enough to let you decide on the care that is given to your son. I am not the pregnant one, but stuff like this really gets my blood boiling. I hope that someone will work with you two, on the care you want to give Bronx. I am sorry I basically just vented instead of giving you actual advice.
    7a4d0244-1.jpg

tt10be14.aspx
  • Options
    mommylovemommylove Posts: 1,582
    edited November -1
    Go with your gut and do whatever vaccine schedule fits you...it is your child and your choice. Don't let anyone make you feel bad about any choices you and Ali make for your son.
    I hope this first Pedi works out for you...good luck!
    be422225-267e-4ff7-94c0-a8d5baf3176a_zpse0970fea.jpg
    October 2014

Dk5Zm7.png

22gfm7.png
  • Options
    bethiebrookebethiebrooke Posts: 128
    edited November -1
    I am sorry there are so many who do not understand or who refuse to understand. My OB/GYN was the one who recommended at home ICI, his sister and her partner did at home IUI and have had a couple children. He made me feel confident enough that I can do it myself and gave me the speculum and syringes and just talked me through it all. I am very thankful that I haven't come across too many that closed minded. I do agree with the others, you guys are the one making the appointments, it should be what you two want.
  • Options
    A&JA&J Posts: 1,825
    edited November -1
    I am sure that it can be discouraging, but don't give up or give in on something you believe is right for your son. The relationship you establish with your pediatrician is important since this is the person that essentially, you are hiring to help you care for Bronx. You definitely want to be able to trust their judgement and they should respect your decisions as parents.

We live in a very open-minded state but still had a bit of trouble finding a pedi that would do a delayed schedule and was comfortable with our two mom family...it was a little painful to see one of the dr's. literally squirm and not be able to look Anna and I in the eye when we asked her questions pertaining to our family and the offices' comfort level. She even shared a story about these lesbian women she knew, where one always wanted a child, but her partner said "no, she could never do that to a child"...uh, what is "that??". Needless to say Anna and I left and did not use this office. We are very glad we did the pedi interview though, because this is how we ultimately learned of the awkwardness within this practice...(this was a place that had been recommended, so glad we looked for ourselves:). Just keep looking and from our experience I would say meet with the pedi and see how they treat you and Ali when you go to the office and meet with the dr. and ask the questions you want answers for. It will be worth it in the long run. We now have a woman pedi that we love and who clearly respects both Anna and I as parents and we respect her as a medical caregiver for Olivia.
    th_img-191_zps90b22fea.jpg
    th_img-109_zps4769e6c4.jpg
  • Options
    sara291sara291 Posts: 1,042
    edited November -1
    cocobay wrote:
    I want to follow the Dr. Sears schedule and they don't want to follow any other schedule than the one they use, which is not the Dr. Sears... If I don't have my child vaccinated on their schedule they will refuse to see my child.

I wish I had known about this one sooner. I've done so much reading up but for some reason never saw this. With Z we spaced his out but Riley's we did not & as stated in another post recently had a bad reaction to having multiple live virus vaccations at once. He is 12 months now so it's probably way to late to switch over but I do plan on spacing them out from now on for both boys.
  • Options
    KTZKTZ Posts: 1,240
    edited November -1
    Just wanted to say so you have had a hard time getting a pedi that can respect your wishes and your family. I hope you find a good one soon.
    tt1254ac.aspx
    fFvYm8.png