Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Babywise?

palegreenpalegreen Posts: 1,478
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
I have some friends that have a 7week old little girl. Yesterday they recommended I read the book "Babywise" to help us settle into a routine when our little guy arrives. Have any of you read it? If so, do you recommend it? I've also heard about "Secrets of the Baby Whisperer"....any feedback on this book?
sig2017_zpsneeoat7k.jpg

Comments

• Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never liked babywise. I think just remembering the EASY system is good. Eat Activity Sleep You. So when baby sleeps you get time for yourself. Also remember that in the beginning babies can't really be awake much more than an hour or so.
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    PtownMomsPtownMoms Posts: 768
    edited November -1
    I didn't like babywise either. The 2 that I have liked so far are "the happiest baby on the block" and "the no cry sleep solution". But i guess it kinda depends on what type of things you're comfortable with. We didn't really even try to follow any kind of schedule till Finn was 4 of so months. We did everything on demand up until around that time. Now we try to follow a schedule because she seems to do better with one. So we feed her at the same time everyday...and her bedtime is the same every night..but her naps still fluctuate a little. But like K&H we tend to do the Eat, Play, Sleep routine. At almost 6 months she's usually up between 2-4 hours before she naps (but she isn't a great napper).
    Carrie & Monica

sig_zps0be86692-1_zpse4fe5311.jpg
  • Options
    sara291sara291 Posts: 1,042
    edited November -1
    The book had some things that sounded good. . but they added in a bunch of facts to make it sound that way. There were several things that did not make sense and after asking the doctor about it he was very strongly against the book and he said he has seen a few infants losing weight after their parents tried the method.
  • Options
    HadleyHadley Posts: 97
    edited April 2011
    Trying to think of a way to give you info without opening a can of worms.... let's see if I can do this but be neutral.

The authors of "Babywise" are fundementalist christians and the book was originally written as a manual within their church (a no-birth-control, women obey their husbands, homeschooling, spare the rod and spoil the child type church).

The original version of the book was hotly protested. There were letter writing campaigns and drives where women would steal the books from the public library to try to keep people from reading it and "harming" their children. The LaLeche League spoke out against the book as hindering a breastfeeding relationship and hurting attachment. There were charges that some babies became malnourished and had failure to thrive by women following the book explicitly (usually women within that church who were trying to do the letter of the law).

Some pediatricians became alarmed. Other pediatricians said women needed to read the book with a grain of salt and use common sense. Because the book presented a nice formula of routine, it worked well for some people, and some pediatricians advocated the book for the routine part. And some pediatricians who supported the religious movement the book came from also advocated for it from that angle.

The book became wildly popular within churches, it was THE manual for women (along with "how to sumbit to your husband joyfully" type books). At the same time, homeschooling kids for religious reasons started taking off, and there were publishing houses for all those kinds of books and Babywise was one of their bestsellers. And then the Duggars started getting famous and they mentioned how they used those books, and they exploded.

Over the years, the publishers toned down a lot of the book to make it more mainstream. Especially the parts that pediatricians had complained about were removed. So if you buy a new copy you won't know what all the fuss was really about within the book itself.

The authors of the book are very conservative, traditional, husband-led, and homophobic (I am just saying this is their platform). The Ezzo's (the authors of Babywise) speak at conventions etc on these topics, and they have a curriculum of books, tapes, and videos that are used by churches called "Growing Kids Gods Way." Some of their opinions are pretty controversial.

The most controversial thing about the Ezzos are that they are associated with and recommend books by the Pearls. Who are the Pearl family? They wrote the book "Train up a Child" which is a religious manual on parenting that says to spare the rod is to spoil the child. The Pearls book says to start switching a child by 18 months on the legs with a weed-whacker cord or a switch from a tree. The Pearls also say you need to "blanket train" your baby, which means putting baby on a blanket and telling it not to move off. If baby moves off blanket, you spank baby with a wooden spoon or a switch. You put a toy outside the blanket to tempt the baby, and you tell it not to move. If baby moves for toy, spank. Repeat till baby learns the lesson. They say to do these training sessions every day and you will have an obedient baby (that will grow up to be God fearing and husband obeying).

So....... Babywise is probably a book a liberal gay couple would not want in their stroller, LOL!

Even the conservative christian group "Focus on the Family" spoke out against the Ezzos Babywise book because they believed it was too radical and harmful to small children.

I had a Women's Studies class that studied all these folks, and there is a LOT going on behind the scenes with this one :)
    Some women have left that movement and called it a cult. If you are curious, this is a former member of the church who writes about it: http://nolongerquivering.com/tag/gary-ezzo/

The Baby Whisperer woman was very liberal and gentle (she died of a brain tumor after her book was written). Her method was the Eat Play Sleep and I used it, it worked great. There is also another method called "12 hours by 12 weeks" and I loved that book (it's hard to get, I think it's been reprinted under a new name) and it is another sleep schedule book like Baby Whisperer.
    Happiest Baby on the Block and the No Cry Sleep Solution are great if you are looking for a more child-led approach, you should check those out.
  • Options
    twicejesstwicejess Posts: 228
    edited November -1
    We like the book "Healthy sleep habits happy child"...it worked really well for us. Lauren has been a great sleeper. There are, of course, ideas in there that we chose to not use...and there are things that I think are ridiculous but overall, it's got a lot of great suggestions.
  • Options
    palegreenpalegreen Posts: 1,478
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the feedback! I knew I would get more helpful information from you guys compared to Amazon reviews.
    I have now added your suggestions to my registry and will NOT be considering Babywise.

Thanks again! :)
    sig2017_zpsneeoat7k.jpg
  • Options
    em'smomsem'smoms Posts: 1,439
    edited November -1
    Hadley wrote:

The Baby Whisperer woman was very liberal and gentle (she died of a brain tumor after her book was written). Her method was the Eat Play Sleep and I used it, it worked great. There is also another method called "12 hours by 12 weeks" and I loved that book (it's hard to get, I think it's been reprinted under a new name) and it is another sleep schedule book like Baby Whisperer.
    Happiest Baby on the Block and the No Cry Sleep Solution are great if you are looking for a more child-led approach, you should check those out.

I took a lot from the 12 hrs of sleep by 12 weeks or whatever it is called, I have recommended it to several friends. I also have happiest baby on the block and NO cry sleep solution. I actually really recommend the Happiest Baby on the Block video- the 5 Ss are invaluable during those first few months!

I think what works for you is going to depend a lot on your personalities and your child's temperament. My daughter was extremely colicky so we couldn't really start any true routine until after 3 months, although we really tried. After that we tried some of the No cry methods but they did not work for her. She actually needed to cry it out alittle in order to settle down, if we went in and calmed her it just started the entire cycle over again and make it hours and hours of torture for us all. So we ended up letting her cry it out with very occasional and brief check ins and it worked very quickly- this was after about 6-8mos old.

And the Binky can be a blessing and a curse, so proceed with caution!!!

I recommend you get Happiest Baby on the Block- it is a MUST HAVE for the 5 Ss and a couple others that seem to be in line with your parenting style (at least what you think it will be) and then wait and see how the first couple months go and what type of temperament your baby seems to have. Then make the big decision on what method you will use to get her/him to sleep and be on a routine and stick to it. 3 years later we still are on a very similar bedtime routine as we were at 3 mos old and are very strict about bedtime and dealing with her getting out of bed after we say good night....it is back to the basics time for us!!!!
  • Options
    annerbonesannerbones Posts: 1,812
    edited November -1
    I liked Happiest Baby on the Block - it was awesome.
    raF7m7.png
    Progesterone therapy and baby aspirin daily

Two miscarriages in between (August 2012 - same donor as Maggie, and December 2014 with husband)
    Maggie
    PNa0m7.png
  • Options
    fischfisch Posts: 570 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Baby Whisperer was my bible - it's dog-earred and underlined. I also got some good tips from the 12 hours in 12 weeks book. I've read them all, and honestly, that's what worked the best...taking a little bit from them all and trying different things to find out what works for you.

Some people have very strong opinions before they start parenting, but you never know how you might change your mind when you're in the thick of it and it's best to have a whole arsenal of tools, especially when it comes to sleep.
    age.png

age.png
  • Options
    CarbinCarbin Posts: 1
    edited November -1
    Good article and contains lots of valuable information. That is the experience that you shared with us. Thank you so much.

2008-03-27_121251_SLL-Redux-Sig.gif
    iphone4 case
    iphone5 cases
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    I have to admit I've never heard of these books. I had "What to Expect When You're Expecting" while pregnant and then got "What to Expect The First Year" when Shiloh was born. And the rest either came naturally or I asked people!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    lesrmhlesrmh Posts: 654
    edited November -1
    I did not like Baby Wise but I LOVED Happiest Baby on the Block and it really helped!!! :)
  • Options
    cAtWmN84cAtWmN84 Posts: 462
    edited November -1
    i liked it before i had kids.lol.i read it again when i was pregnant with liam and just laughed
    yqOs9SZ.jpgyqOsm5.png
    Qkvimpd.jpgQkvim4.png
    dxnZweE.jpgdxnZm5.png
  • Options
    coryandamandacoryandamanda Posts: 1,527
    edited November -1
    The 12 hours in 12 weeks was a big help to us. I was worried about having time or energy to read it with a newborn but I read it in like a day and it was easy to follow and gave great tips.
    July 4, 2015
    image_2.jpgu
  • Options
    chandraandamandachandraandamanda Posts: 676
    edited November -1
    I give a big YES to Happiest Baby on the Block. It focuses on all of the instinctual factors of parenting that often get pushed to the side with so much other information we take in.
    theowlandtheoctopusblog.blogspot.com
    Amanda and Chandra
    DSCF7259-1.jpg
  • Options
    Beth81392Beth81392 Posts: 486
    edited November -1
    I prefer Happiest Baby. Did not like Baby Wise. They have both at the library. They actually have the happiest baby on DVD at the main branch.

Beth
    Words cannot even begin to describe how much I love these kids
    BeachDuo.jpg
  • Options
    melmel Posts: 793
    edited November -1
    I give a big YES to Happiest Baby on the Block. It focuses on all of the instinctual factors of parenting that often get pushed to the side with so much other information we take in.

I think instinct is key and that not enough moms trust it because they are barraged with info about how they SHOULD do things. That's one thing that really bothers me about this book and CIO and scheduling - when my babies cried, I felt actual physical pain. Why should that be ignored just to put them on some schedule that a writer who'll never meet them thinks they should have? We fed on demand and still do. I have posted here and elsewhere for advice on some things, but for most things, I just trusted my instinct. When their feedings started getting closer together, I increased the amount of milk. I never looked at a chart of how much they should be eating at a particular age. I just fed by babies when they were hungry, and fed them until they were full and happy and didn't worry about it. Life is full of enough stresses without creating more.
    Jjr6m5.png
  • Options
    A&JA&J Posts: 1,825
    edited November -1
    I like the No Cry Sleep Solution and I watched The Happiest Baby on the Block DVD---I really liked it. It was helpful to actually see the techniques in use and to watch his swaddling method. Good luck to you in your search!
    th_img-191_zps90b22fea.jpg
    th_img-109_zps4769e6c4.jpg
  • Options
    michgirlmichgirl Posts: 406 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry I have not read any of these books. If the boys were hungry I fed them and if they were tired I put them to bed. As they got older we started a bedtime routine and Jax is a GREAT sleeper, I out him to bed, read a story, kiss him good night and wake him up 11 to 12 hours later. Jorddan still gets up once in the night to eat but he has digestion issues but other wise he is starting to sleep great too.
    f1xTJgw.jpgf1xTm5.png