Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Testing your BP at home

GaBeekeeperGaBeekeeper Posts: 916
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
Today I purchased a Reli On BP monitor. Do any of you have one and check your BP? How accurate are they? It says it has been calibrated. I plan to take it to my next OB visit and ask them about it.

My BP was 118/82 at 3pm today. I really think sometimes I have doctor anxiety. Maybe that is why it is elevated some at the visits?
I plan to keep track of it and also I am looking to find some urine test strips to check for protein in my blood. I will tell my OB what I plan to do so she knows that I am being proactive about my health and am watching it.
pqkom4.png
FxZxm4.pngcarousel_zps296ade6d.jpg

Comments

• Options
    GaBeekeeperGaBeekeeper Posts: 916
    edited November -1
    bumping this up.

Anyone here monitoring their blood pressure at home?
    pqkom4.png
    FxZxm4.pngcarousel_zps296ade6d.jpg
  • Options
    GoobieGoobie Posts: 3,515
    edited November -1
    "white coat syndrome"... it DOES happen when people have anxiety about the Dr (even worrying about your blood presure is enough to make it higher!). I have never tried one of the at home ones, I haev the opposite problem with low BP and then it bottoms out when I am pregnant. Tim has high blood pressure, but des not have an at home machine, just uses the one at the drug store every week and takes the little slips in with him to his dr... so I gues if you dodn't want to spend the money thats one way of doing it.

Sorry I have no words of wisdom!!
    tt125c22.aspx

Need to update a ticker, Silas Anthony Jordon born Oct 11, 2013. 6th baby, so much love!
  • Options
    mamamiamamamia Posts: 33
    edited November -1
    I do not test at home but my sister does, my dad does, and my grandmother did. From what we could tell all of their machines were pretty accurate by just a point or two. It is VERY possible for your pressure to be elevated just at dr visits-mine is always a little higher when I am going to the doc and in your case it would be understandable as to why it would be higher. I would test several times a day in normal and higher anxiety situations- your doctor will look at an average - it may relieve some stress if you see that it is only dr visits that give you higher pressure - Hope it helps!
  • Options
    BabyBugsArrivalBabyBugsArrival Posts: 523
    edited November -1
    What Goobie said...my Dad has high blood pressure, but drs freak him out and it goes SKY high. So they recommended he keep an eye on it at home every day. It's more accurate for what his pressure actually is than the readings they take in the office. And, I know he didn't spend a whole lot on it...got a simple model at Walmart or Target.
    mommaandme-1.jpg
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    I'm not an expert on this but doctors don't just look at the BP numbers, but the changes in them. So like, if you're 118/82 at this appt, and the same at next, and the next, that's just your normal. But if you're 95/70 and then 118/82 and then 130/90 ... well, you get the idea. Personally I don't think you need to test at home unless there's a concern. But there's certainly no harm in doing so. Just don't get yourself stressed over the little things. There are really important things to worry about in just a few weeks. Matching clothes! Like do you get identical outfits or the same styles in different colors or for boy/girl twins, the same pattern in different styles. The list is endless!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    jenoglvjenoglv Posts: 669 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I checked mine at home all through pregnancy, but I never had issues with high blood pressure. I just did it for peace of mind.
    Jennifer SMBC, mama to Rhys.

2012-10-29003321-1.jpg
  • Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited November -1
    When I developed pre-eclampsia and hypertension at the end of my pregnancy, I used that device to test my BP at home and it was all over the place literally one minute to the next. It was much more accurate and reliable to stop at the pharmacy at my local grocery store and hook up to their cuff.
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png