Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Coloring your hair while pregnant?

onemorebabyonemorebaby Posts: 472
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
Do you do it? Would you do it?

I color my hair a few shades darker than its natural color (natural color is stawberry blonde and I color it light/med brown). I colored my hair a few weeks before finding out I was pregnant, and now the color has faded out. Most of me just wants to wait till the second trimester... but I am not sure I can make it that long!!!

Have any of you colored your hair early on? Thoughts? Comments???
My blog! www.ifyoulivedhereidknowyourname.blogspot.com
Welcome Baby Madelynn! 11/29/11
419260_3081228479933_1540462223_2749331_1507377435_n-1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    twicejesstwicejess Posts: 228
    edited November -1
    I have read and my doctor has said that it is safe to do so in the second trimester. I am 31 weeks and looking pretty gray though! I am paranoid and won't do it. They say it isn't harmful as long as you're in a well ventilated area (open window in bathroom?) but I myself just think vanity is not worth the risk. I have had a lot of gray since my early 20s and have regularly colored my hair since then except for during my pregnancies.
    Statistically the odds say it's ok but man, if something did happen, I couldn't imagine living with the question "if I hadn't colored my hair would the baby be ok"....

Again, just my opinion.
  • Options
    emn'saremn'sar Posts: 393
    edited November -1
    i read that highlights are ok because the checmicals in the dye don't actually touch your scalp and so also don't absorb into your scalp. but hair dye obviously does. also the chemical odors as mentioned above. so i didn't chance it. i was so overdue for hair color and had a few grays showing so i got highlights as soon as i reached my 2nd trimester. i'm skipping the dye until after baby comes!
    IMG_3390_zpse5e180d0.jpg
    IMG_2211_zps372f01d9.jpg
    Avery 2.5 years and Julian 4.5 months
  • Options
    PtownMomsPtownMoms Posts: 768
    edited November -1
    I got my hair highlighted while pregnant. My doctor said the concern is the smells of the chemicals (which is why they say perms are not good because you can't escape the smell regardless of how much air you get). I guess every doctor and every person will have different opinions. I also had sandwich meat (gasp!) a few times while pregnant.
    Carrie & Monica

sig_zps0be86692-1_zpse4fe5311.jpg
  • Options
    sara291sara291 Posts: 1,042
    edited November -1
    I would not especially in the first trimester at least. I just would not risk it.
  • Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've heard there are safe colors you can use. Maybe google it?
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    KTZKTZ Posts: 1,240
    edited November -1
    My doctor and midwife both told me that the big scare about hair color was back in the day when it had ammonia in it. Most hair dye doesn't contain ammonia any more.

My hair dresser said there are certain brands of dye that are better for pregnant women.

I went to my hairdresser and had her apply some dye just to the two little areas that I have grey coming in. She did it the way that they do highlights. (Not touching my scalp at all) So, I still had the slightest bit of roots but not much. I will probably wait till the second trimester to do it again. Even then I will just have her do those two little spots without touching the scalp.
    tt1254ac.aspx
    fFvYm8.png
  • Options
    bethiebrookebethiebrooke Posts: 128
    edited November -1
    My midwife said the last trimester was okay to dye, but I wouldn't chance it, I am too paranoid to do so.
  • Options
    A&JA&J Posts: 1,825
    edited November -1
    I will admit I had my hair dyed and highlighted...I went to an aveda salon, but don't really know that this would make a difference....when I brought the topic up to my midwife she didn't express any concern.
    th_img-191_zps90b22fea.jpg
    th_img-109_zps4769e6c4.jpg
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    I was too afraid to even think about it in the first trimester. Asked my doctor when I was 17 weeks and got the all clear.
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    miaandsabrinamiaandsabrina Posts: 723
    edited November -1
    From working in a spa for 3 years and doing some research, amonia was the big issue. But like KTZ said, most dyes do not having it anymore. And the scalp thingie, about absorbing, I've heard was a "theory" of sort. But always best to wait till after first trimester is over. I have got so much gray it's making me nuts, just waiting until a day off to fix that mess!!
    Our worlds collided and together we've been blessed with perfection!