Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

FDA warns against using Orajel

KariKari Posts: 1,765
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
Apparently the active ingredient, benzocaine (sp.?), can cause an adverse reaction the first or fiftieth time you use it, resulting in death. Another site corroborated this story, but included that the FDA recommends NOT using benzocaine on children under 2 years old.

http://thestir.cafemom.com/baby/119751/fda_warns_against_orajel_ingredient
100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
r9vOm4.png
Ri4Gm4.png

Comments

• Options
    First HopeFirst Hope Posts: 511
    edited November -1
    Yikes, we did use infant orajel a few times. Thanks for sharing!!
    tt13112d.aspxQWRVm7.pngDSC_0904-1.jpgDSC_0858-1.jpg
  • Options
    cAtWmN84cAtWmN84 Posts: 462
    edited May 2011
    my mom put some on her sore tooth and gums.she said it made the pain 10x worse and to NEVER give it to her grandbabies
    yqOs9SZ.jpgyqOsm5.png
    Qkvimpd.jpgQkvim4.png
    dxnZweE.jpgdxnZm5.png
  • Options
    sara291sara291 Posts: 1,042
    edited November -1
    I know there is a difference between adult & infant orajel & there is also a orajel just for the tooth that is not suppose to touch the gums. My mom said she accident put the tooth stuff on me when I was a baby & I screamed for ever. As far as actual infant orajel Z HATED it!!! He would always scream a trillion times worse every time. It does help Riley though a lot! Just enough to ease the pain long enough to get him back to sleep.
  • Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited November -1
    I used the adult version a few times when I had braces as a kid, and it really did nothing for the pain and tasted bad. Glad to know I didn't use it a lot!
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png
  • Options
    cAtWmN84cAtWmN84 Posts: 462
    edited November -1
    my mom used the infant kind.i had it in the cabinet just in case adri needed it.i NEVER gave it to her after what happened to my mom
    yqOs9SZ.jpgyqOsm5.png
    Qkvimpd.jpgQkvim4.png
    dxnZweE.jpgdxnZm5.png