Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

hot baths?

care&alicare&ali Posts: 362
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
Thought I read somewhere that its a bad idea to take hot showers or baths during pregnancy. Is this true? What's the logic here?
093bbc9d-2fa9-4ee5-9cf5-b9d31af5141b_4BW.jpg

Comments

• Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The idea is raising your core temperature, and becoming dehydrated. If you have a nice open window, drink a big glass of water while you relax, and get out if you feel even just a bit too hot you should be fine.
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    cocobaycocobay Posts: 1,318
    edited November -1
    I have never wanted a hot bath so bad until I reached about 21 weeks and started swelling. I would never get into a hot tub but I have taken a few hot baths. I made sure that it wasn't so hot I was sweating but hot enough to relax my muscles and relieve the swelling pain in my feet. I think K&H's idea is great, drink a big glass of cold water while you are relaxing.
  • Options
    care&alicare&ali Posts: 362
    edited November -1
    Thank you ladies!
    093bbc9d-2fa9-4ee5-9cf5-b9d31af5141b_4BW.jpg
  • Options
    cocobaycocobay Posts: 1,318
    edited November -1
    Sorry I haven't wrote you back on your email. I will do that now!! Totally forgot after I read it, lol..
  • Options
    babybabybabybaby Posts: 1,564
    edited November -1
    eek! this was a big problem for me during pregnancy because i LOVE LOVE LOVE baths. it's not enough to just take a hot bath. my baths have to be steaming hot with the dial completely over to the "H" side. when i get into the bathtub, i can literally see the skin on my legs changing color from white to red - probably totally unhealthy. during pregnancy i just decided to forget about baths, since it's all or nothing for me. i'd rather just take a shower (which i hate) than have to take a lukewarm bath.
  • Options
    babybabybabybaby Posts: 1,564
    edited November -1
    i think if you take baths as hot as mine, no amount of cool glasses of water or opened windows can make it safe for a fetus. that was my opinion, which is why i chose not to take baths while pregnant. yours might be more "normal" baths, though. lol.
  • Options
    palegreenpalegreen Posts: 1,478
    edited November -1
    I had to break down and take a HOT bath after overdoing it and creating a monster back ache for myself. I drank ice water and filled the tub just enough so that the majority of my belly stayed above the water when I laid back. It was just enough to ease my muscles but I wasn't submerged enough to break a sweat.
    sig2017_zpsneeoat7k.jpg
  • Options
    yfnryfnr Posts: 418
    edited November -1
    I had a hot bath probably daily for both my pregnancies. Never hurt and always made me feel better :)
    Jamie
    Mommy to Twins plus One - donor 733
    DSC08654_zps76947225.jpg
  • Options
    jenoglvjenoglv Posts: 669 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I took warm baths while pregnant, no nearly as hot as I prefer. I just made sure to not stay in too long.
    Jennifer SMBC, mama to Rhys.

2012-10-29003321-1.jpg
  • Options
    GoobieGoobie Posts: 3,515
    edited November -1
    I have a hot bath before bed every night... not hot enough to make me sweat, and I only stay in half an hour or so... I havea tub thermometre that I used for my kids and I make sure the water is around 101. MW is cool with it!
    tt125c22.aspx

Need to update a ticker, Silas Anthony Jordon born Oct 11, 2013. 6th baby, so much love!
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    Not an expert here but I was told warm was safe, hot was bad. If you raise your body temperature you raise the baby's too. Something about your body associating higher temps with infection and raising the risk of miscarriage when your body tries to "protect" itself. I expected it to be very easy to get pregnant. After finding it otherwise and suffering a loss along the way, I didn't want to rock the boat on any iffy things during pregnancy. So my baths were luke warm until the last trimester when I felt safer. But even then they weren't really hot ... just a bit more than warm.
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    charcoaleyescharcoaleyes Posts: 864
    edited November -1
    Does a warm bath help with sweling? My thighs have been killing me, maybe I should soak my legs in epsom salt.