Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Extreme Couponing?

CharmedCharmed Posts: 205
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
I am watching that new show on TLC, and I know a few people in real life who do this. It is funny to me that they have stockpiles. I mean, who really needs 4,000 tubes of toothpaste even if it was cheap? A lot of times the things they buy and stockpile are things they don't even need too. The twins on this show bought like 20 bottles of heartburn medicine because it was cheap... I would use that hmmm... never. Is it really saving if the item is something that you don't need?
Anyone do this??? Got any tips?
combatbootsflipflops.jpg

DHLLm5.png

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    This guys just started at almost $400 and paid $5 and some odd cents. Where do they even GET so many coupons??
    combatbootsflipflops.jpg

DHLLm5.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    $882 retail; paid $27 with coupons?!?
    combatbootsflipflops.jpg

DHLLm5.png
  • Options
    cocobaycocobay Posts: 1,318
    edited November -1
    It is definitely cool to watch but I could never put that much time into it. I buy certain brands and certain types of things so I just don't think it would work for me. I would rather pay full price than go through the hassle of clipping. Maybe once I quit working I will change my mind though.
  • Options
    Autumn&RyanAutumn&Ryan Posts: 157
    edited November -1
    I have watched it too...and my initial and final thought was the same. Those ladies are obsessive and frankly a bit looney! Seriously, some of them spend up to 6 hours a days preparing and shopping. I don't get to spend that much time with my girls on the average school day so that is insane to me. I just simply don't have time for it and I am wayyy too impatient to spend even an hour a day printing coupons, and whatever else they do.
    On a positive note, it is amazing that they can save so much money! I don't think in my state that stores double coupons which is one tools of the trade that helps to get the price down so low. I think extreme is a good word for what they do, most people can't or won't do it.
  • Options
    Autumn&RyanAutumn&Ryan Posts: 157
    edited November -1
    Have you watched Sister Wives? Now, that is an interesting show!
  • Options
    PtownMomsPtownMoms Posts: 768
    edited November -1
    Just yesterday I was thinking about posting about using coupons. Ha.

The show is definitely extreme...and I don't have 6 hours a day to commit. BUT, we have decided to try it on a very small level. We've always budgeted about $550 a month for groceries. However, we set that amount when we were living on the tip of cape cod and even the grocery store prices were inflated! Regardless...I'd love to get our grocery store budget down. There are so many other things I'd love to spend the money on.

I checked out the krazy coupon lady website and she does list tips on how to get started...but I still don't quite know where to begin. : )
    Carrie & Monica

sig_zps0be86692-1_zpse4fe5311.jpg
  • Options
    twicejesstwicejess Posts: 228
    edited November -1
    I watched one episode and the guy was a ministry student. He got like $1000 worth of stuff for free! BUT I think they said 80-90% of everything he gets he donates to food banks and sends over for the troops...I think that is cool.

I like the idea but they buy things, like pps said, that you may NEVER use. IF you're going to donate it...maybe then? But I don't know where they get all the newspaper inserts. And our local grocery stores do not double coupons.
    I search for formula coupons and diaper coupons...those are the only ones that I really LOOK for. If I find other coupons for things/brands we use...I have no issue using coupons but I certainly don't have 6 hrs a day to put into couponing!
  • Options
    minnie0672minnie0672 Posts: 1,264
    edited November -1
    I actually plan to start doing some serious couponing once I move to my new house in July. There's no point in me starting now when I just have to move all of it in a few months. Do you have the website that shows how to get started?
    6 IUI's resulting in BFN. 7th IUI was the fun one with pregnant...then not...then ectopic at 7 weeks...IVF #1 - miscarriage...IVF #2 miscarriage 5w6d...IVF #3 cancelled due to not growing embryos and pneumonia...IVF# 4 same old story...BFP then miscarriage...this is getting old...onto possibly Donor Egg or Donor Embryo
  • Options
    GaBeekeeperGaBeekeeper Posts: 916
    edited November -1
    I miss the days of double coupons here, no store does that anymore. I used to get stuff for free b/c of it!
    pqkom4.png
    FxZxm4.pngcarousel_zps296ade6d.jpg
  • Options
    PtownMomsPtownMoms Posts: 768
    edited November -1
    This is the Krazy coupon lady website. I saw her on the Nate Berkus show. She has a section that kinda gives you a "to do" list on how to get started. : )

http://thekrazycouponlady.com/
    Carrie & Monica

sig_zps0be86692-1_zpse4fe5311.jpg
  • Options
    nervouswrecknervouswreck Posts: 379
    edited November -1
    Basically, all you are seeing is hoarding and OCD and they justify it by using coupons.
  • Options
    babyforusbabyforus Posts: 18
    edited November -1
    I've been extreme couponing for years, but I don't bulk up like that anymore. I used to buy tons and tons of stuff. I remember one time buying 27 boxes of cereal for about .40. I gave about half to a food shelter and saved the other half for our family. I still ended up tossing a bunch because it went past it's date. Now that we try to use more organic foods it's way harder and not nearly as cheap. I still get all our health and beauty products for free though.

The biggest warning/tip I can give is this: it's not as easy as you think. I spend 2-3 hours with my coupons on Sunday and at least another hour or two on Wednesday when the grocery ads come out. That's not counting time spent at the the various grocery and drug stores. I've tried to teach some of my friends before, but you really have to be dedicated to it. It's like another job. Just like anything else I guess...it's not easy but it can really pay off.
  • Options
    A&JA&J Posts: 1,825
    edited November -1
    That show blew my mind a bit...my DP jokingly ( I think) said I could start doing that...I just said sure, where do you want me to put your 57 bottles of mustard? I do like the idea of coupons though...why pay full price if you don't have to? I just never have known where to start. I am always that person that will come across a coupon, and finally when I think to use it or I actually need the product, the cashier will say "mam, your coupon is expired"---I am going to check out the site Carrie mentioned. Any others?
    th_img-191_zps90b22fea.jpg
    th_img-109_zps4769e6c4.jpg
  • Options
    tc0104tc0104 Posts: 579 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello!.....we coupon!!! We have a small stockpile that we started about 2 mo ago. We are not hoarders like the the show...but we try to be smart in a bad economy. When we get free or really good deals...we buy coupons online and get extra for our struggling and elderly family members who have limited budgets. It only takes me a few hours a week to get free or close to free items (legally) that my family needs. The show is a bit excessive....but couponing is fun and a challenge..and much easier than some might think.
  • Options
    Hopeful2010Hopeful2010 Posts: 134
    edited November -1
    I coupon and have a small stockpile. I don't stockpile food really but bodywash, toothbrushes, shavers etc. Things that won't expire. But I do use coupons for food, just not excessive.
    The show is the ultimate extreme and if you listen they do say when they are getting ready to checkout that this is their biggest trip ever. That is because TLC would only tape them if it was that extreme, they wanted like beyond normal. The way they get it down to such low dollar amount is they buy things they don't use/need. For example if they have a coupon for $5.00 off diapers and the cost of diapers is $3.50, that is $1.50 overage. If going to a store allowing overages towards other things they can cut their bill down. So if they have 10 coupons and buy 10 packs of diapers that is a total of $15 in overages, which cuts the other things down that didn't have coupons or not as good of coupons. So if you do this with multiple things that have coupons for the overages you can really get your own bill down. But the trick is finding which store has them at lower prices to begin with to get the most out of your coupon. Not long ago there was a overage on formula because the coupon was for more than the formula cost. People ere buying it to get the overage on the rest of their bill then donating it. Big problem thou is it is all nice to do but when you clear shelves by doing that you are taking away from someone else that could not only use that same deal but also taking away some other moms food supply for her baby. (If that makes sense). Plus using stores that double coupons etc.
    Good place to start to learn and see from others is www.afullcup.com and go to the forums. The forums have stores listed and what is on sale for those stores and how to match coupons for what is on sale. You can print alot of coupons online also by going to the other website krazycouponlady.com and then there is links to where to print coupons.
    Good deals you can buy coupons on clipping websites or off ebay. Not long ago I did buy coupons for body wash on ebay because the body wash ended up being free with the coupon. So I did pay for the coupons upfront. I think I spent a total of $19 for all 50 coupons which saved me $150 on the body wash. So I was ahead $129 and have body wash for my family for a year or 2. But I don't normally buy them or in the excessive amount but this was a good deal.
    If you have questions just ask.
  • Options
    Hopeful2010Hopeful2010 Posts: 134
    edited November -1
    One other thing I want to say about the downside. Is not long ago there were coupons that caused overages on blood sugar meters. So people were clearing the shelves on them to go towards their other things. Which I understand because who doesn't want a good deal but who needs 50 blood sugar meters? Nobody, so they donated them which also was nice but if someone really needed a meter and couldn't find them on the shelves, how frustrating for them. Plus it is a medical necessity.

Sometimes I do trips to the store for things only with coupons. For instance the other night I had to go to a store that was right by Target so I grabbed my coupons and only bought things that I had coupons for just to stock up on. In the end I paid $36 and saved $48.
  • Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited November -1
    Where I live they don't have great sales or double coupons, and most of our coupons are $1 off 2 of something that I won't use two of before it expires, so I don't use many. But, I also hardly ever pay retail. I wait for things to go on sale, then if I have a coupon to apply, I do.

Since Justin turned about 2 months old, I've never bought diapers unless there was both a sale and I had a coupon for the diapers. I go to babycheapskate.com every Sunday afternoon and read the post of the Top Diaper and Formula Deals of the Week. Not only does it tell me where to go to get the diapers, but how much they are (per diaper, based on size 3) after the sale, and where to go to print additional coupons. I love it when Rite Aid marks Huggies down to 5.99/bag and I have a $3.00 coupon I can print online. You can only print two coupons from one computer, but I teach in a computer lab, so I have unlimited computers at my disposal and am not opposed to asking for rainchecks!

Another thing I like to do is cut all the diaper, baby products, and formula coupons out of the circular and leave the ones I don't use on the shelf for others to use. Someone did that for me one time, and I've continued doing it for others. One time someone left five $3 Huggies coupons, and it really brightened my day!
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png
  • Options
    starfish2318starfish2318 Posts: 243
    edited November -1
    We have a small stockpile of Diapers and TP! We loaded up on diapers when Olivia was tiny. We planned to CD, but got AMAZING deals when Amazon did those awesome coupons that they quit doing. We literally have hardly spent any $ on diapers. I buy wipes by the 12 pk. case on Amazon too since we use 7th Gen. in wipes/diapers and get pretty good deals. I hardly pay retail for anything and I wouldn't have it any other way, but I don't coupon much. I have tried, and I end up buying crap I don't need. I do better to stick to trying to save money on a few more expensive items, like anything baby related...diapers, wipes, jarred food for when we go out...etc.
  • Options
    allthingsluckyallthingslucky Posts: 467
    edited November -1
    I just started couponing and I actually was going to post something about this the other day too, lol. While I do think it is excessive to have 100 tubes to toothpaste, just over the past 2 weeks I was able to get 4 tubes for free, so I got them. That is something that I will always need so if it is free or nearly free, why not? Couponing isn't for everyone, I get enjoyment out of it. I like to research and organize things and this suits me perfectly. I also started off on the krazycouponlady's website. This is how I broke it down to make sense to me because I was overwhelmed when I first read her site.

What I was reading didn't make sense until I actually bought a news paper and had coupons to look at. There is a website that tells you what inserts should be in what papers (I found the link off KCL's website, it was one of her advertisment blogs, I think living rich with coupons or something like that). I clipped all the coupons that were in the inserts, not just the ones that I thought I would use. It's important to not be brand specific, somethings it's okay, but if you're too choosey about what brands you will use, then couponing won't really save you much money. I organized them all. I bought 2 packs of baseball card inserts from wal-mart, $5, each and I already had a 3 ring binder. KCL has a catagory list that I found helpful to sort my coupons. Once everything was sorted I started looking at the circulars. I like CVS, but also check Walgreens and for food I check Publix. KCL has a break down of all the items in the sales flyer to tell you what coupons you can use and where they're found. Once you see what's on sale you can match the items with coupons you have for maxium savings. Thats the key to big savings, shopping for items that are on sale and pairing the with coupons. For example this week walgreens has pampers diapers for 3.50 a pack if you have the right coupons and although I don't have an infant, I got similac formula for free at CVS. By buying before you need it while its on-sale you prevent yourself for paying retail.

I have only been doing this for a few weeks and on one of my first trips out I was able to get $34 dollars worth of product for less than .50 cents! I get my coupons for the newspapers, but there are websites that you can go to and have inserts mailed to your house, you can try local gas stations and ask them if you can have their extra inserts at the end of the night. It can be time consuming, but I enjoy doing it. It's fun to me to see what I can get for free or next to free and it's saving my family money!
  • Options
    babymakes3babymakes3 Posts: 433 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    we are not extreme but we are really good at couponing and it's more like a fun game and challenge for us. we use krazy coupon lady to help guide us through which coupons you need. but i love a deal!
    connonandray.jpg