Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Cramps after home ici

ewilson0317ewilson0317 Posts: 5
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
We have been ttc w a kd for about 2 yrs with no luck and we just did our first insem w donor sperm. We used 3 vials over 2 days and just did the last insem a little over 24 hrs ago. I started cramping about 2 hrs after we finished and have been ever since.We did the exact technique that we used with the kd sperm and this has never happened before. I'm kinda worried. Anybody ever experienced this before??
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    CRWHNW0909CRWHNW0909 Posts: 599 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good luck in your journey. Maybe you went somewhat in your cervix? If it get's to the point you can't handle the pain, you might want to see a Dr. Sperm in the cervix can be quite dangerous. But if the pain is minimal, you should be fine.
    04/11/2011=BFN 06/08/2011=BFN 07/05/2011=BFN 11/25/2011=BFP!!
    Beta 1: 2,489 Beta 2: 5,603 TWINS!!
  • Options
    annerbonesannerbones Posts: 1,812
    edited November -1
    Probably just a fluke. You didn't go into your cervix so it should be ok.
    raF7m7.png
    Progesterone therapy and baby aspirin daily

Two miscarriages in between (August 2012 - same donor as Maggie, and December 2014 with husband)
    Maggie
    PNa0m7.png
  • Options
    hoping_for_a_babyhoping_for_a_baby Posts: 84
    edited February 2012
    I had some light cramping as well. I wondered if it was something to do with my body reacting to the medium that's used??
  • Options
    F2M n SpouseF2M n Spouse Posts: 1,021 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    So I have a question?

I was given an email and it said that the sperm could be placed slightly inside the cervix. They said that it could only go in 1/2 inch, or is that something that shouldn't be done?
    rs4mis.jpg
    28i0tph.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I also thought you could go into the cervix a tiny bit. We have been all this time, so maybe it was the medium that my body didn't like. Now, 10 hrs later, the cramps have almost completely stopped.

So I have a question?

I was given an email and it said that the sperm could be placed slightly inside the cervix. They said that it could only go in 1/2 inch, or is that something that shouldn't be done?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yea..some places say you can go slightly into the cervix, but others say don't do it. So it's confusing. Either you can or can't. I mean I don't see the big deal as long you're keeping it within the cervix, but who knows. The first time we did insemination I had some cramping for 1 night but that was it.
    rs4mis.jpg
    28i0tph.jpg
  • Options
    old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited November -1
    I've been at this a long time and I cramp every single time and I know I don't go into the cervix. I talked to Tammy one time when the cramping was bad. I thought it might be the preservatives they put with the ICI sperm. She told me it was the sperm themselves. I too never cramped doing it the old fashioned way. She told me if it got bad to go to the dr. or er but never wanted to tell some dr who does not work with AI what was going on as I didn't think they would have any idea what I was talking about. I sometimes was uncomfortable for a day or two but it subsides. Good Luck.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    old mama wrote:
    I've been at this a long time and I cramp every single time and I know I don't go into the cervix. I talked to Tammy one time when the cramping was bad. I thought it might be the preservatives they put with the ICI sperm. She told me it was the sperm themselves. I too never cramped doing it the old fashioned way. She told me if it got bad to go to the dr. or er but never wanted to tell some dr who does not work with AI what was going on as I didn't think they would have any idea what I was talking about. I sometimes was uncomfortable for a day or two but it subsides. Good Luck.

That makes me feel so much better!! It has eased off a lot this morning so I'm gonna stop worrying about it. Thank You!
  • Options
    annerbonesannerbones Posts: 1,812
    edited November -1
    ICI is not washed so it still contains semenal fluids which can cause uterine cramping, which is why ICI is meant to be deposited at the cervix not in the cervix. IUI has been washed and can go in the cervix or with a Dr.s help all the way into the uterus, it is free of the fluids that can cause cramping. Unless you have some sort of response to the medium they add to it.
    raF7m7.png
    Progesterone therapy and baby aspirin daily

Two miscarriages in between (August 2012 - same donor as Maggie, and December 2014 with husband)
    Maggie
    PNa0m7.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    do you know of anyone that has become pregnant with this sort of cramping happening this early on?
    rs4mis.jpg
    28i0tph.jpg
  • Options
    cassafrascassafras Posts: 219
    edited November -1
    Technically ICI is where you actually deposit the sample inside of the cervix. If you deposit it just outside of the cervix it is an intravaginal insemination. The ICI samples are actually prepared to be able to be deposited inside of the cervix, but it is not recommended by the sperm banks to do this on your own (in case you go too far). IUI samples are prepared to be deposited directly inside of the uterus, which is considerably further up the cervix than the 1 inch that you placed it. I assume you will be fine, but of course if it gets bad you should see the doc:)
  • Options
    2145mama2145mama Posts: 12
    edited November -1
    I did all our inseminations at home, and I did every single one of them intracervically. I was shown how to do it and learned quite a bit about anatomy and the procedure, and we were very careful to be clean and sterile when possible. ICI sperm by definition is fine to put into your cervix, but nobody wants to tell the general public that because if done wrong it can be very dangerous (i.e. putting ICI sperm directly into your uterus).

Regarding the cramping, my wife had very mild period-like cramps with every insemination we did. Mostly it just made us feel confident that the swimmers got where they were supposed to be. But if your cramping is very severe and the pain is worse than period cramps, I might be concerned. However, if you just did intravaginal inseminations (like Cassafras mentioned) I highly doubt you'd be having an anaphylactic reaction like you could get from ICI sperm in your uterus.

I should mention that my wife is 11 weeks pregnant now, so we couldn't have been doing anything too terribly wrong, right? ;) Good luck to you!
    My wife and I have a beautiful daughter by NW donor 2145, and we are interested in low-stress contact with other families who have children by him as well!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    that makes me feel a lot better knowing that the cramping is normal and that your wife still got pregnant. Thanks for the clarification cassafras and 2145mama
    rs4mis.jpg
    28i0tph.jpg
  • Options
    ExcitedExcited Posts: 110
    edited November -1
    Well I have been reading some of the stories and I am very hopeful. This will be my first time. I have two children I conceived naturally, they are 7 and 5. I have now found my true love :D , and she along with myself are truly ready to bring a beautiful new life into the world. We have been together for two years and 8 months and we know we are ready. I have seen other sites but came across this one when I googled for a bank that doesn't require a doctor signature to get samples, because a doctor I questioned let me know that there's no doctor in Mississippi that will do a single ( because I have no husband) which i think sucks. We have read through and I think there is so much support and caring going on that I know we made the right decision to look no further. We will be trying next month and we are very excited.
    1328746232038.jpg
    Together since 5/30/2009 In Love Since We Met
    I'm on your left, DP on your right (I will carry)
    1st attempt will be 3/2012 So Excited
  • Options
    2momsfulloflove2momsfulloflove Posts: 396
    edited November -1
    Welcome Excited! I do think you've come to the right place.
    Mommy to two amazing kiddos thanks to NW
    10/11 - BFN, 11/11 - BFP (early miscarriage), 12/11 - BFN, 1/12 - BFN, 2/12 - BFN