Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

PCOS - guess I know what's wrong now...

JCAlaskaJCAlaska Posts: 251
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
I've read about PCOS on here for years and ignored it since I assumed that you had to have heavy menstrual cycles and I don't - mine are almost non-existent. My nurse practictioner said she thought that's what I had. So I looked into it further.
And I have every single one of the 4 symptoms. ugh. At least now I know what is happening. Can I get rid of this naturally or do I have to go to an RE?

Signs and symptomsCommon symptoms of PCOS include:

Menstrual disorders: PCOS mostly produces oligomenorrhea (few menstrual periods) or amenorrhea (no menstrual periods), but other types of menstrual disorders may also occur.[7][9]
Infertility:[9] This generally results directly from chronic anovulation (lack of ovulation).[7]
High levels of masculinizing hormones: The most common signs are acne and hirsutism (male pattern of hair growth), but it may produce hypermenorrhea (very frequent menstrual periods) or other symptoms.[16][7] Approximately three-quarters of patients with PCOS (by the diagnostic criteria of NIH/NICHD 1990) have evidence of hyperandrogenemia.[17]
Metabolic syndrome:[9] This appears as a tendency towards central obesity and other symptoms associated with insulin resistance.[7] Serum insulin, insulin resistance and homocysteine levels are higher in women with PCOS.[18]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCOS#Signs_and_symptoms
J & J in Alaska - 4th TTC created our little one. Miscarried at 10 wks 4 days on 12/1/10. Tried many more times then took a break for a couple of years to get healthy. We're BACK!! :)
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    christeacherchristeacher Posts: 242 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is what I was *possibly* diagnosed with, I was told either I have PCOS or am a pre-diabetic and after watching my blood sugars for a month or so I am convinced that it is definately PCOS. The doc said that it didn't matter at this point because I would be on the same medication no matter what. Have they mentioned medication yet? I am on metaformin and I know that several others here that have PCOS are also on the same medication.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I want to avoid meds if possible. According to my research, losing weight should help. Of course I've been trying to lose for years and it isn't working. I'm going to try to cut out all sugars and simple carbs for a month and see if I can make any process. Anyone had luck with conquering PCOS by simply losing weight?
    J & J in Alaska - 4th TTC created our little one. Miscarried at 10 wks 4 days on 12/1/10. Tried many more times then took a break for a couple of years to get healthy. We're BACK!! :)
  • Options
    old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited November -1
    I'm pretty sure this is my problem too. I did pretty well on an insulin resistant diet where you balance your carbs and protein. Really reduced the carbs and increased my protein intake. I was able to keep it up for almost 5 months. Lost some weight but didn't see it helped me with conception or stopped my miscarriages. I got depressed and stopped. Maybe if I would have kept it up. I'll be watching your post to see if anyone else had any luck.
  • Options
    LucyGooseyLucyGoosey Posts: 320
    edited November -1
    Treating PCOS without meds depends on how much time you want to take. My RE told me that if I went on a low-carb diet, and did at least 60 minutes of exercise every day that in a year to 18 months my insulin levels would probably be low enough so that I could ovulate. I wasn't willing to wait that long.

So I think that is treatable with diet and exercise for some people, but it takes time. What did you NP say when you asked about options?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was visiting with my NP at a neighborhood potluck/party last night so we didn't get into talking treatment options except she did say eating a diet that excludes simple carbs would be really wise and that there are some med options as well.

I guess if I had all the time in the world I could try simply losing weight. I turn 36 next week. I'm feeling like I'm running out of time. I know I'm not over the hill yet, but I don't have all the time in the world.
  • Options
    Shaeley MaeShaeley Mae Posts: 1,731
    edited November -1
    So glad you have an answer!!!
    Best wishes for finding a solution that meets your timeline. Personally, I prefer sooner than later. Would love to see you post a BFP in 2012 ;)
    IMG_0408-rs.jpgIMG_7844-rs.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Shaeley Mae! My initial thought was to do the slow/natural way, but when presented with a possible solution that may actually bring results quicker, I'm considering it... It's tempting.
  • Options
    minnie0672minnie0672 Posts: 1,264
    edited November -1
    My therapist was actually talking to me about an all natural vitamin based solUtion called myo-inositol. There are studies on how it helps women with pcos to develop better egg quality etc. I read some of it and it's very compelling. I'm going to take it and see how it helps. I'm willing to do pretty much anything at this point but it's worth it to look into.
    6 IUI's resulting in BFN. 7th IUI was the fun one with pregnant...then not...then ectopic at 7 weeks...IVF #1 - miscarriage...IVF #2 miscarriage 5w6d...IVF #3 cancelled due to not growing embryos and pneumonia...IVF# 4 same old story...BFP then miscarriage...this is getting old...onto possibly Donor Egg or Donor Embryo
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for that info Minnie! I'll look into it too. It can't hurt to look into it anyway.

The first day of almost no bad carbs and sugar went really well. My partner has agreed to change her diet with me. That makes it a lot easier.
  • Options
    christeacherchristeacher Posts: 242 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    One thing that I found through research is that if you are insulin resistant (some PCOS is not insulin resistant) then it is really hard to lose weight. I changed my diet and hired a personal trainer 3 days a week to jump start the losing weight and in 4 weeks I didn't lose a darn pound. Very frustrating, I pray that you have an easier time than I did. (I am finally losing weight now that I started on the stupid meds, actually I lost my first 5 pounds this week.) Good luck and I look forward to hearing about your BFP in the future.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Though I don't know for sure if I'm insulin resistant I suspect I am since I've had blood sugar issues for 20 years. I've been trying to lose weight for years. And all I manage to do is either maintain or slowly lose a couple. Last year at this time I was working out and managing my diet pretty well for 3 months and I lost 3 lbs - which I then gained back almost instantly.
    My current plan/goal is to have zero sugar and bad carbs as well as working out 60 minutes a day for the next month to see if I can make any headway at all. If not then I'll give up and go get meds.
  • Options
    em'smomsem'smoms Posts: 1,439
    edited February 2012
    When we decided to start TTC #2 in 2010 I started tracking my cycle including using OPKs for a couple months and could not get a surge, my cycles were also varying from 30 days to one time 45 days. The 45 day month my OB did a day 21 blood test and did not show I ovulated, which of course I just hadn't yet. But they told me to go back to my RE. I did about a month later and ultrasound confirmed the "pearl necklace" of cysts in both of my ovaries!! Now, I had been working out regularly and my BMI was in the high normal range at this point. They ordered additional bloodwork that came back within normal limits so my only signs were irregular ovulation and periods and those darn cysts. The RE told me to lose weight and he felt that it could resolve itself in 6 months and we could start trying to conceive, but he said we might need meds.

So for a few months I was a bit careful and then after about 4 months DP and I decided to do the HCG diet. We did that during the month of November 2010 and I lost 20 pounds followed by 2 really bizarre menstrual cycles- one that lasted 18 days, one 24 days and than popped back to my pre- 1st pregnancy normal 30-32 day cycles in January. We decided to start TTC in March 2011. Tried 2 months at home, BFN but regular cycles then returned to RE. Ultrasound showed NO CYSTS!! and continued to show no cysts over the next 3 months as we tried at the doctor's office (and I gained back all the weight from the stress of TTC and I think clomid/femara helped there too!). 5th try, still no cysts and got pregnant without meds.

So for me, I must have had a pretty mild case since hormone levels were normal, but I had a ton of cysts and somehow, in less than a year they did resolve. Not sure if it was the rapid weight loss or what but that is my story of resolving PCOS without medication. I would have gone the medication route though if necessary. You should ask for a full blood panel to check insulin and check all your other hormone levels in addition to an ultrasound to check for cysts before making decisions about TTC now or later!! Good Luck!!
  • Options
    2moms_somewhere2moms_somewhere Posts: 305
    edited November -1
    Just wanted to say I am glad you are back. Good luck. :)
  • Options
    old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited November -1
    I too am glad to hear from you. I hope you find what will work for you and are able to get that BFP.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the support and for those who shared what worked for them. Since I figure the RE's first advice might be to lose weight...I'll try that for a month and if that doesn't work then at least I'll know I tried. I have a $5000 deductible so I'm trying to not run in for tests if I don't have to. But I realize I may need to. According to OPK's I have been ovulating...but I know that doesn't technically mean I am actually ovulating. Only that the hormones are consistent with typical ovulation.
    TTC is one goal...being healthy is important even if I don't manage to get/stay pg.
    Any other ideas or stories? I can use all the advice I can get. Thanks everyone.
  • Options
    merilungmerilung Posts: 1,177
    edited November -1
    I don't have PCOS, but I am insulin resistant, and I've switched to paleo/primal eating to control my blood sugar/insulin levels. It's really been a good plan for me, and I know a lot of women with PCOS/IR problems have had success with similar lifestyle changes.
    TTC since September 2007 - 8 donor insems in 2012, all BFN. DH had varicocele repair #2 1/3/14.
    It worked! Two clomid cycles and two IUI's with injectables all BFN, on to IVF! 3dt of 2 perfect embryos on 12/15/14, BFP 7dp3dt! Frederick Lars born at 37 weeks on 8/15/15!! FET for #2 on 9/29/16 - BFP 5dp5dt!! Bertram Wilder and Mabel Moon born at 28.4 weeks on 3/29/17!
  • Options
    FlowergirlFlowergirl Posts: 2,040
    edited November -1
    Just wanted to wish you lots of luck in the coming months! Hopefully you can find something that works for you.

I do not have PCOS, but I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic a few years ago. My Dr. gave me 3 months to work on bringing the numbers down by myself - because she referred me, I was able to get a visit with the nutritionist covered, which helped me a TON in knowing what to eat, how to change my eating habits, etc. I also paid for a year's membership to our local gym - I went 3 times a week for about an hour. With the added exercise, a change in eating habits as recommended (less carbs, eat only whole grain - not to be confused with whole wheat, which is not the same and isn't that much healthier than regular white - cut down on portions (a big one - some things that help is using a smaller plate for meals, and not allowing any of your food to touch, then no seconds or dessert), no soda, etc.) I lost 15lbs in those 3 months and my numbers were down to completely normal! They stayed that way until I got pregnant last summer, then they almost immediately sky rocketed and since the pregnancy, my numbers are still high-ish, no matter what I do. I am now on insulin 4 times a day to keep me regulated for ttc.

Don't get too caught up in the "something is wrong with me", because that only adds to your body and mind's angst when TTC. Do your research and make healthy lifestyle changes. Knowledge can be power, but it can also be detrimental to our mental sanity, which in turn makes our bodies tense up and do weird things... Even if you do have PCOS, many women get pregnant and give birth to healthy babies - it just may take a little more time.

Good luck to you!!!
    After 9 yrs & 1 devastating loss, we got our BFP at 9DPO ~ and welcomed our beautiful son on Halloween! Best treat ever!!

a3cmlv.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My NP had suggested I try the Paleo/Primal diet and that's pretty much what I'm doing. I'm hoping this works. :)
    I'm so glad to hear that just diet and exercise worked for some. I'm also trying to be realistic that if I have to do meds it's not the end of the world. My health is what is most important and if I need a little help in obtaining it then so be it.