Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Supply issues during luteal phase

palegreenpalegreen Posts: 1,478
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
Ever since my period returned at 4 months, my supply has been drastically altered. G seems to get plenty when he's nursing, however, my pumping output is next to nothing from around the time I ovulate until the start of my cycle. I do fine with pumping for the first two weeks of my cycle, however, I don't produce enough to make up for the other two weeks. As a result, I expect to run out of breast milk within 3-4 weeks. Has anyone else dealt with this problem? I really don't want to start using formula for fear of it further impacting my supply. I'm already drinking my weight in water and taking calcium, magnesium, fenugreek, and mothers milk tea...but it doesn't seem to be helping. I'm willing to try just about anything at this point. Any suggestions??
sig2017_zpsneeoat7k.jpg

Comments

• Options
    sirvin12sirvin12 Posts: 88
    edited November -1
    Same thing happened to me. Nothing I did helped either. I just tried to pump an extra time or two to help make up for it during those times. It is very frustrating!
    Shannon, Sydney and Hayden
    th_SH_0252cb_zps4d7d171a.jpg
    z6qpm7.png1TBam7.png
  • Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    H has luck with soy lecithin when she's feeling her supply is just a tad low. But she still hasn't had AF, so I'm not sure about that.
    You might try the mothering.com/community breastfeeding boards. They tend to know a LOT!
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    mommylovemommylove Posts: 1,582
    edited November -1
    I have fortunately not experienced this issue...though I've never been a big pumper since I am at home with Sebastian. My period came back two months after having him and I'm still breastfeeding.
    Sorry to hear you are having a rough go of it. Hope you find something that helps!
    be422225-267e-4ff7-94c0-a8d5baf3176a_zpse0970fea.jpg
    October 2014

Dk5Zm7.png

22gfm7.png
  • Options
    GoobieGoobie Posts: 3,515
    edited November -1
    My pumping output was shot a bit due to stress over some issues with Moosie and this is what I was told.

Fenugreek: you may need more then the 2 pills 3 times a day... try 3 pills 3 times a day, if you don't notice improvement in 3 days go to 3 pills 4 times a day. When you start to smell like maple syrup you've hit whats right for you (and yep, my pits smell like pancakes and my urine smells sweet).

Add flaxmeal and nutritional yeast to your diet. Most LCs suggest brewers yeast, but it smells and tastes beer-y. Nutritional yeast works the same way but tastes a bit better. I add 1 tsp pf each yeast and flax to my morning outmeal.

Eat oatmeal daily. If you like pumpkin pie I have an awesome baked oatmeal recipe you may like. makes enough for a week at a time, just reheat by the bowlful with some milk and brown sugar

Pump extra if you can. For the first week or so if you can pump even ten minutes every 2 hours, even if you don't get much, the stimulation will help you make more milk. This is optimal over pumping for longer fewer times, because it fakes you body into thinking babe is cluster feeding.

Good luck!
    tt125c22.aspx

Need to update a ticker, Silas Anthony Jordon born Oct 11, 2013. 6th baby, so much love!
  • Options
    charcoaleyescharcoaleyes Posts: 864
    edited November -1
    I want that baked oatmeal recipe. I think I am hitting the 9 month slump and oat meal would help a lot.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    haha, I can't wait to reek of maple syrup. I think I'm close...just a few more pills and I think I'll be there. I've been taking 1 pill 3-4 times a day. I'm going to up it to 2 pills 3x and see what that does for me. I've been eating oatmeal cookies everyday (I love having an excuse to eat cookies). I'll look into getting some flaxmeal and nutritional yeast and start eating oatmeal on top of the oatmeal cookies.

Let's see this recipe you speak of!
    sig2017_zpsneeoat7k.jpg
  • Options
    BabyBugsArrivalBabyBugsArrival Posts: 523
    edited November -1
    Yep, I want the recipe, too :) I've tried the Mothers Milk Plus tincture and the Fenugreek, but could never get more than 4-5 oz pumping. And that was after 6-8 hours of not feeding Myles. I would love a miracle with my bfing problems. And on top of that, I started Claritin again after a few weeks of misery with allergies. Caused an ear infection, for which I had to be on Amoxicillin. I never did take any decongestants bc I feared it would affect my supply. Had no idea the Claritin would screw me up! The dr never mentioned it to me, even after I expressed my concerns about the decongestant. Now, I have NO supply and am only able to bf 2-3 times a day. When I pump, I get maybe 2 oz. Don't mean to hijack your post, PG, but is there hope for me? I am going to try doing ALL of these things and see how it goes.
    mommaandme-1.jpg
  • Options
    Shaeley MaeShaeley Mae Posts: 1,731
    edited November -1
    I kinda had that problem .... but in phases.
    When L night-weaned at 5 months my supply dropped.
    When she completely weaned at 7 months my supply dropped even more (that's when I had to start giving her half formula and half breast milk).
    I exclusively pumped from 7-10 months, and finally threw in the towel when pumping became painful and only yielded 1 ounce.
    During the 7-10 month timeframe I went crazy with oatmeal and water, and it made no difference. My body was just DONE.

I wish you more success than I had!! The final stopping point is emotionally hard ..... avoid it as long as possible.
    IMG_0408-rs.jpgIMG_7844-rs.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hijack away! Have you tried taking Calcium and Magnesium supplements? The word on the street is that they help with supply if you take them in a 2:1 (calcium:magnesium) ratio. I just started taking them a few days ago, so I'm not sure I've been taking it long enough to see a difference.
    sig2017_zpsneeoat7k.jpg
  • Options
    onemorebabyonemorebaby Posts: 472
    edited November -1
    I am no help to you... I am a domperidone girl! I tried the fenugreek and mother's milk... made no difference. If it were not for the Dom, I would be done with.

But now, I will eat me some oatmeal! : ) Goobie, send us the recipe!!!
    My blog! www.ifyoulivedhereidknowyourname.blogspot.com
    Welcome Baby Madelynn! 11/29/11
    419260_3081228479933_1540462223_2749331_1507377435_n-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Oh BabyBug! If yiou have not already, check out the FB page "The Leaky B@@b" as it is awesome, filled with ladied who have BTDT or ARE there doing that... non-judgmental and super supportive (Thanks charcoaleyes for pointing me there 3 months ago!) kellymom dot com has great BF info as well. And YES try everything listed above, none of it can hurt!
    tt125c22.aspx

Need to update a ticker, Silas Anthony Jordon born Oct 11, 2013. 6th baby, so much love!
  • Options
    charcoaleyescharcoaleyes Posts: 864
    edited November -1
    I love the Leakies. They helped a lot during late night nursing sessions.
  • Options
    LandTLandT Posts: 293
    edited November -1
    I dont mean to thread jack.... but I am curious does taking that much fenugreek hurt? I was told by my pedi not to exceed 6 pills a day. Also what does oatmeal do? I cant stand oatmeal and can barely get it down but if it will increase my supply I am willing to try anything. Does instant work just the same? How much oatmeal should a person eat a day to notice a different?

Sorry palegreen I didnt mean to thread jack. This info got me curious and I am at the point where I will try anything.
    Liz and Tracey

3rq6ah5no.png
    Pure Perfection
    DSCN3194_zpsc49185a7-1_zps433dc3a2-1_zpsa063299b.jpg ; IMAG0913_zpsfc579b1f-1_zps0ef25e8e.jpg
  • Options
    miaandsabrinamiaandsabrina Posts: 723
    edited November -1
    I have never had issue with supply, I started taking Fenugreek 3 pills-3x's a day. And started being able to pump more. But started noticing my stomach muscle/liver area started to feel "sore"?! LC said I could up my pills to 12 if needed, I didn't have issue with stomach though when she told me this, but just wanted to add to someone who asked how many to take. After having stomach issues, I've stopped Fenugreek and have slowly started slowing down a bit, plus K has slowed down on night feedings, which isn't helping. Sorry Kelly, didn't mean to get off your topic! But wanted to ask if anyone else had stomach issues with Fenugreek?
    Our worlds collided and together we've been blessed with perfection!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    LandT... it was my midwife that told me to keep upping dose until my armpits started to smell like maple syrup, so thats 3 pills three times a day for me, and she was not concerned, told me I could go to 4 times a day if needed.

Oatmeal it's the steel cut ones. not sure how it works, but apparently it does. I do love oatmeal, so it was not a big deal for me to add it to my diet.

Mia... I don't have stomach issues with the fenugreek, but I do notice that I poop more often when I am taking it!
    tt125c22.aspx

• Options
    jenoglvjenoglv Posts: 669 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    charcoaleyes - I agree with Goobie, up the Fenugreek. What you're taking now is a very small dosage. I was taking 3 pills 3 or 4 times a day. I didn't help me, but Domperidone didn't either. There are some other herbs you can look into as well, such as Blessed Thistle. I took that one too. If you're really serious and nothing is helping, look at getting an Rx for Domperidone or buy it online. Do not use Reglan, I've heard only bad things about that drug.

BabyBugsArrival - There is hope for you, but I really think you're going to have to stay off allergy meds. They just suck up your supply. Check Kellymom for their list of what you should and shouldn't take when bfeeding, if you haven't already. My friend had the same issue with allergy meds, and had to stop them and then take Domperidone for a short time to regain her supply.

I'll give y'all an oatmeal recipe if you'd like. I don't like oatmeal, but Rhys does, and I made this last weekend in the crock pot.

Carrot and Zucchini Bread Oatmeal

1/2 c steel cut oats
    1.5 c non dairy milk (this was a vegan recipe, I'm sure you could use real milk)
    1 small carrot - grated
    1/4 zucchini - grated
    pinch of salt
    pinch of nutmeg
    pince of ground cloves
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    2 tablespoons brown sugar or maple syrup
    1/4c chopped pecans

Put everything in the crockpot but the nuts and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
    Jennifer SMBC, mama to Rhys.

2012-10-29003321-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Um, a crockpot oatmeal bread recipe? YAY!
    I wanted to add that I started manually expressing after pumping and I can get another ounce or more sometimes.

Where is the best place to order Dom?
    sig2017_zpsneeoat7k.jpg
  • Options
    Beth81392Beth81392 Posts: 486
    edited November -1
    I got from InHOuse Pharmacy. It took about a week for my order the first time. I wonder how long it will take this time.
    Words cannot even begin to describe how much I love these kids
    BeachDuo.jpg
  • Options
    chandraandamandachandraandamanda Posts: 676
    edited November -1
    miaandsabrina--I have heard that Fenugreek can cause upset stomach. I will begin taking it as part of an induction protocol. I will be taking blessed thistle as well to try and prevent stomach issues from the Fenugreek.
    Pumpkin oatmeal, Goobie?
    theowlandtheoctopusblog.blogspot.com
    Amanda and Chandra
    DSCF7259-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Pumpkin oatmeal, Goobie?

i'll email it to you when I get on FB!
    tt125c22.aspx

• Options
    edited November -1
    How much Dom should I order to get me through the next 6 months? Do people generally take 10mg once a day?
    sig2017_zpsneeoat7k.jpg
  • Options
    Beth81392Beth81392 Posts: 486
    edited November -1
    PG

Text me but I am taking 30 mg 3x a day. At that I went through 300 in approximately a months time/give or take. I just order on payday. This time I am ordering 600mg and I am hoping that will last two months. The more you order the cheaper it gets but I'd make sure it works for you.

Beth

PS Fenugreek added to Williams puking and did nothing for my supply. Cookies worked but this works better. I'd love that recipe too Goobie
    Words cannot even begin to describe how much I love these kids
    BeachDuo.jpg