Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

For those who have had a c-section...

LauranLauran Posts: 992
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
I had to be put under general anesthesia for my first c-section, and I just made the mistake of watching a few YouTube videos of the surgery. Freaky!

If the spinal block works this time, I'll be awake for the surgery--and it's only 2.5 weeks away now. What were your experiences like, being awake for your c-section? Was it really just tugging/pulling that you felt? Do you remember how long it took, particularly once they got the baby out?

Also, how bad was the fundal massage? I woke up to them performing it on me, and it was the worst pain I'd had in my life--and that was after 3 days of labor, part of which was pitocin-induced, with an overactive nerve stabbing me on one side! I'm hoping it won't be quite as bad if the spinal works this time--last time they were massaging me right after surgery, with nothing to block the pain in my belly as they were doing it. It was excruciating...kinda like--hey, is that your broken ankle? Let me TWIST IT to the side for you! Yes, I screamed like a little girl.

(You might be able to tell, I'm getting a little nervous.)
8753d5b8-b427-43ab-84c1-768bae9fb46b.jpg179591c8-0980-4d54-bf49-65f3f46650c4.jpg
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    friendamyfriendamy Posts: 588
    edited November -1
    I had a c-section with an epidural - and really? it wasn't bad at all. I didn't feel anything. a little pulling/pressure when they took him out, but he was bigger than they expected and his head was huge... so they had to work to get him out.

after he was out I have no clue what they did. I was focused on looking at my baby, asking my mom about him and hearing him cry. I don't know what they did behind the screen, but I didn't feel any discomfort. I mean, it wasn't like I was at a spa or anything - but it wasn't painful.

I want to say that the whole thing was about an hour, and he was out maybe 10 mins after getting to the OR. then I was moved to recovery for a bit... then in my own room by 7ish (he was born at 4:21p).
    Amy (39)
    DS (7) - d#470
    Boy, n.: a noise with dirt on it.

age.png
  • Options
    annerbonesannerbones Posts: 1,812
    edited November -1
    I had a spinal with my c-section and it was awesome. The only thing I felt was when they said lots of pressure and it felt like they were trying to push the baby up. The only problem I had was that i kept feeling like I was going to pass out.So they had to keep giving me meds to stop that feeling. I had no other feelings during the surgery.

I was supposed to go in under general anesthesia but when I got to he hospital they switched anesthesiologist on me and the one I had that day refused to do general, told me I had to get used to the idea of a spinal. I don't regret it.
    raF7m7.png
    Progesterone therapy and baby aspirin daily

Two miscarriages in between (August 2012 - same donor as Maggie, and December 2014 with husband)
    Maggie
    PNa0m7.png
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    I freaked out a little at the loss of sensation and that was as close as I ever need to come to having a panic attack. But I think that was unique to me. No one I know ever mentioned that before! As for the tugging/pulling, I heard it discussed on TV a lot. And during my surgery they kept saying you'll feel pressure ... a lot of pressure now ... but I felt nothing. As for time, I went into the OR at 8am. Surgery started at 8:10 (give or take a minute). And Shiloh was born at 8:18. For the fundal massage I got an idea of pressure but more from watching than feeling. Again, no pain. None. No feeling at all from the waist down!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    melmel Posts: 793
    edited November -1
    I had a spinal. I did feel the pulling and tugging, but it didn't hurt at all. No pain with anything, and I'm not sure about the massage you mentioned but I guess that didn't hurt, either, since nothing did. There was a LOT of pulling and tugging because Baby C was wedged way up by my rib cage, but I just felt pressure. Length of time for mine is irrelevant since there were 3 times as many kids in there, but it still wasn't all that long since they were born a minute apart.

One thing I wanted to mention that I didn't see in other posts is that I could have easily fallen asleep during the surgery. I remember fighting to stay awake, thinking I would regret it forever if I weren't alert and present (mentally, emotionally) for their births.
    Jjr6m5.png
  • Options
    Klt86Klt86 Posts: 567
    edited November -1
    I totally freaked out when they were prepping me for my spinal. I was crying so hard I had trouble catching my breath. It's kind of funny to look back at now but wow was I terrified then-all for nothing. I have really bad anxiety about any kind of medical procedure though so that played a big role. As for if it's really just tugging/pulling-for me I was really surprised that I still had sensation everywhere but no pain. It almost felt like when your arm falls asleep but you could still kind of feel it if someone touched you. That scared me because I wondered if I'd feel the pain. After my total freak out I felt completely stupid because it was so easy and I felt no pain at all. For me it was the idea of being operated on while I was wide awake. My best advice would be try not to be scared because for me, the being scared was way worse than the surgery or the recovery for that matter. Oh and I don't remember getting the massage so it must not have been bad!
  • Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    H had a lot of pain. Hers was horrible in that she could feel almost everything. She didn't feel the sharp pain of the incision, but everything else she could feel and feel a lot. I don't tell you this to scare you, but to tell you that they gave her a second round of drugs as soon as E was out. Literally the second she was out, they pushed in more drugs. After that she finally couldn't feel the rest, so she didn't feel the massaging or the placenta. She is the type who has a really bad reaction to drugs, though, and her c-section was because the epidural made her numb throughout her entire body, not just below the waist (seriously, had trouble talking, couldn't feel her face at all). The last round of drugs after E was born finally took away the pain that she had had for three days.
    She was up and walking within 24hrs and recovery was fine.
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You're all making me feel better! Even you K&H. :) The reason I was knocked out for my first c-section was because I pitched a fit when I could feel what they were doing down there--at first, they kept telling me Oh you don't feel pain, you just feel pressure. But I insisted I could feel pain. Under the gas I went! I plan on making sure I am good and NUMB before I let them do anything at all. I'm glad to know that most people really do only feel slight, non-painful sensations. So I'll know when things are not normal.

I'm REALLY glad so many of you either don't remember the fundal massage, or didn't feel it. I would rather be beaten with a baseball bat than have to feel one of those massages post-op with no pain meds again.

@Mel--I *hope* I'm that relaxed! Once she comes out & I know she's ok, I'm good with going back to sleep until I'm back in a regular room! Is that terrible of me? It seems like time will drag on forever once she's out while they stitch things up, etc.
    8753d5b8-b427-43ab-84c1-768bae9fb46b.jpg179591c8-0980-4d54-bf49-65f3f46650c4.jpg
  • Options
    yfnryfnr Posts: 418
    edited November -1
    I had a bad experience too, so I won't share :)

The one thing I do remember that most doc won't warn you with is when the anesthetic moves up your body into your chest. It causes a lot of anxiety because it feels like you will lose the ability to breathe. I DID NOT like that feeling one bit. I would have felt better had I been prepared.

I don't remember the fundal massage. Hopefully yours will go without a hitch!
    Jamie
    Mommy to Twins plus One - donor 733
    DSC08654_zps76947225.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    yfnr--someone off the boards told me about that feeling, too--feeling that you're losing the ability to breathe. Hopefully I will remember that and not get too freaked out. On the other hand, I know there is someone else on these boards whose epidural was put in too high and really *did* lose the ability to breathe on her own.

Agh, I just want it over with!!
  • Options
    tc0104tc0104 Posts: 579 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Piece of cake! Mel...i also almost fell asleep, but I had been awake for 24 plus hrs so I figured it was that. I was so calm too. My only major complaint was how thirsty I was. My mouth was so dry, I actually kept complaining during the surgery and begging for a wash cloth just to wet my mouth, but I was also on oxygen for a few hrs before the surgery, I'm sure that was the cause. The whole thing was about an hr or so. I did feel tugging and surprisingly not freaked out having my arms strapped down.
  • Options
    footprintsfootprints Posts: 235
    edited November -1
    I had an emergency c section after 11 hours of natural labor with no pain meds. I did get the spinal before the section and only felt some pulling. My section seemed liked it was over in a few minutes to get both babies out. I did get the massage but did not think it was too painful. I was up moving around without pain meds on day two.
    tt12ed52.aspx
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm actually not too worried about the recovery. I did well with that last time--Cruz was born at 2:24 pm and I was able to get up and walk first thing the next morning. I stopped all narcotics that morning too, and just stuck with ibuprofen. It's the actual surgery that's making me nervous.

I'm so glad most of you had good experiences!
  • Options
    TheOtherLovingMomsTheOtherLovingMoms Posts: 1,481 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had 3 c sections. The first was my twins and it was terrifying so im not going into the details. The second was with my little girl who only lived for 26 hrs after birth, that i only carried 23 wks. They put me to sleep for it. The last one was with my son and even though it was an emergency c section it was a piece of cake. I didnt feel anything and I was wide awake. The only thing that i had an issue with was my uterus kept tearing back open when the were stitching it up so they eventually put me to sleep to get me closed back up. Even had my ex sign a paper giving them permission to remove my uterus if it wouldnt cooperate...it eventually cooperated. So I had to wait longer before I could go to the NICU to see my son.
    I cant believe you are so close Lauren!!! If dp hadnt miscarried she would be right there with you! Cant wait to see pics of your little girl once she arrives!! Good luck and i will be thinking about you!
    IGXwm4.png
    I just turned 50 and fabulous!!! Enjoying life with my amazing family!!
    Mom to Rachel 33, Bethany 30, Rebekah 30, Zachrey 20 and several angel babies
    Grandma to Larissa 11, Brittney 11, Trevor 11, Destiny 7, Jayvin 6, Jackxon 3, Kaleb Joshua Rian 1. Grandbaby #8, Sariah Grace born 11-17-16
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That's so sweet! I remember your DP and I were only a few days apart, I wish you ladies were right here with me.
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    Lauran wrote:
    Once she comes out & I know she's ok, I'm good with going back to sleep until I'm back in a regular room! Is that terrible of me? It seems like time will drag on forever once she's out while they stitch things up, etc.

One of the things the doctor said while I was having my little freak out was that after he got the baby out he could give me something (anti anxiety, tranquilizer) and I managed to calm down thinking I just had to hold out for a couple of minutes. Then Shiloh came and the doctor asked the anesthesiologist how I was doing. And he said "she's fine." I could have killed him because that was the end of my hope to be put under!

But as for time, they were all done with stitching and stuff 30 minutes after delivery and at 9am (exactly one hour after I entered the OR) they wheeled me off to recovery. It is boring after they take the baby away to the nursery because the doctors and nurses talk amongst themselves -- not unlike coworkers chatting in an office -- and you're just lying there thinking, hello? what about me?
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    Klt86Klt86 Posts: 567
    edited November -1
    I'm with zen. The promise of something for anxiety was the only thing that made it possible for them to start the surgery. And honestly getting the anxiety meds is my biggest regret from her birth. It seriously messed me up. I remember trying to stay awake and coherent enough to even see her. I remember her being born and her not crying and them saying she was fine just looking around. Then everything is a blur. My mom brought her over to see me and I saw 3 of her. It makes me a little sad to think about but oh well. She's here and healthy so that's all that matters I guess. So if you really do want to go to sleep ask for something for anxiety.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ack. I would love to sleep through the stitching, fundal massage & recovery room, but I don't want to be out of it for the whole day. Guess I'll suffer through unless I really need something!
  • Options
    nervouswrecknervouswreck Posts: 379
    edited November -1
    Straight up so much easier the second time around! I was terrified of going in , and thought about cancelling my surgery. I was worried for nothing . My Anethesiaologist gave me a spinal instead of the epi. I sat up. leaned forward they rubbed aneseptic on my back and draped me. I leaned forward the gave me the shot put in the numbing agent and my legs started getting numb in 30 seconds. That was the worst part , and it was a breeze! One thing I wasn't expecting was how far down my body I could feel, yet not have pain. I could feel my baby kicking my ribs while they were cutting- I was apprehensive about that, yet I was numb and never felt pain. I did get sick and when I told them they gave me something , and I felt better a minute later. I also felt fainty and they gave me something for that too. I was so alert and it was wonderful to be able to actually expirience a birth without pain or being doped up. My recovery was equally good. I was able to walk within six hours. I never needed pain meds. I am serious I have had worse menstrual cramps than my ceserean pain. I was discharged two days later.Obviously, I was very lucky. But I think that going in for an elective cesearean gave me the upperhand for a quick recovery.
  • Options
    chandraandamandachandraandamanda Posts: 676
    edited November -1
    Lauran, you're so close! I had a c-section with my first delivery. It was very fast, and pain free. The only thing I felt was that tugging and pulling you mention. You'll do great, and you'll appreciate being awake for your babe's delivery!
    theowlandtheoctopusblog.blogspot.com
    Amanda and Chandra
    DSCF7259-1.jpg
  • Options
    HeatherAndRaeHeatherAndRae Posts: 1,041
    edited November -1
    Lauran wrote:
    I had to be put under general anesthesia for my first c-section, and I just made the mistake of watching a few YouTube videos of the surgery. Freaky!

If the spinal block works this time, I'll be awake for the surgery--and it's only 2.5 weeks away now. What were your experiences like, being awake for your c-section? Was it really just tugging/pulling that you felt? Do you remember how long it took, particularly once they got the baby out?

Also, how bad was the fundal massage? I woke up to them performing it on me, and it was the worst pain I'd had in my life--and that was after 3 days of labor, part of which was pitocin-induced, with an overactive nerve stabbing me on one side! I'm hoping it won't be quite as bad if the spinal works this time--last time they were massaging me right after surgery, with nothing to block the pain in my belly as they were doing it. It was excruciating...kinda like--hey, is that your broken ankle? Let me TWIST IT to the side for you! Yes, I screamed like a little girl.

(You might be able to tell, I'm getting a little nervous.)

Lauren - I think I may be the last person you want to have answer this. lol

I had a spinal block so I was awake for my c-section (I had it with my twins - my first pregnancy). I loved being awake to hear them cry and see them but I also have Anxiety Disorder so as soon as they left the room, I went into a massive anxiety attack (that, of course, is situational for me).

As for what I felt - GETTING the spinal is what was the most bothersome. My discs were very close together so it took them 45 minutes to find a needle that would fit in there. And I was sitting up and could not hunch over much at all - I had 12 lbs of baby in me, for pity's sake! lol

Once it was in, I felt nothing. I felt pressure. That's it. No pain or discomfort at all.

Afterwards was a different story so that is where I will stop. I see no need to frighten you even more than you already are. :( I will simply say that the fundal massage was something I do not ever want to experience again - and thankfully, I won't.