Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

My *Insane* Hospital Visit

TheMysticalOneTheMysticalOne Posts: 850 ✭✭
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
I mentioned yesterday that I had some weird cm and it has turned into a brown discharged. I was a bit worried about that, so I called my doctor. But since I'm not "officially" a patient until my appointment next week (Tuesday), they suggested I go to the ER just to make sure everything's okay.

So the hospital....

Horrible! Terrible hospital!!! First I had to wait in the waiting room for a good 45-50 min. Finally I get to the room and they refused to let my mom come in with me (and I'm a SMBC, so she's really all I have). So I'm in the exam room and a physician's assistant comes in. She checks and says "yes, you're bleeding a little" and then leaves. I was like ok...later somebody comes in and says he's going to take some blood. He came and went and never came back!! Then they took me down the hall to do the sonogram. The girl that did the sonogram wasn't used to doing pregnancy sonograms. She knew how to work the machine, but didn't know much about babies (she knew about old people, veins, and hearts). Luckily someone from another hospital was there to help her, so at least SOMEONE knew what they were doing!!

Well the sonogram looks good!! I'm really PREGNANT! So I was so glad to see that. There's a baby in there--babycakes!! I'm only 6 weeks, 3 days, so there wasn't much to see except a flutter of a little heart. My paperwork says 156BPM. So I was so relieved to see that little tiny baby and that little heartbeat!

They finally took me back to the room and apparently they had finally let my mom in. I was in there for another 30 min until the guy came back to take blood. Luckily he did a good job. Then we waited and WAITED and waited, probably another hour, before someone finally came back in. The PA that was there in the beginning comes and lays down some paperwork and then LEAVES. I was like "okay...is the doctor coming now or what??"

We waited some more and the guy that took the blood came back in and says "okay, you're ready to go". But I was like I haven't even seen the doctor yet!! So he goes to get the "doctor" and comes back with the PA from earlier. She was EXTREMELY rude to me when I asked her questions about "why" I could be bleeding. She says the pregnancy could or could not be viable at this point and that it's too early to know. I was like "seriously"? Then she goes on to talk about "if" there could be a miscarriage, there's absolutely nothing they can do to help you until the 20th week (because the baby's not viable outside the womb until the 20th week duh!). But I know BETTER than that. I know that if you're deficient in hormones that they can give you a prescription for that, bedrest, anything!!!

Then I asked about my bloodwork, wondering how my hormone levels were. She says "oh, that was just to determine what your blood type was". WTF? Why didnt' they just ASK what my blood type was? I KNOW!! They took 4 vials of blood just to find out my blood type? They couldn't even tell me about hormone levels. All they tested for was blood type!!!

Then I ask "well, WHY" do you think I'm bleeding? She responds oh that's normal. Well, it may BE normal, but how do I know what's normal and what's not? How long can I bleed and how much until it's deemed "not normal"? I'm not a doctor, that's why i went to the hospital!!

That was the worst doctor (actually she was a PA, not even a doctor, apparently there was no doctor on duty that night, even though it says his name on the paperwork), I've ever met! Completely poor bedside manner. Didn't care at ALL for her patients. Glad we have more than one hospital in town because I will never go there again!!

The only good thing I got out of that visit was that my sonogram looked good. Baby is average size and is growing in the place he/she's supposed to be growing. Luckily, I'll be going to the dr next tues to find out the REAL story. I hope I stop this brownish discharge by then.

Thanks for letting me vent. lol

By the way, how many of you had some spotting during your 1st trimester? How normal do you think that is? They said it could be "implantation" but I'm over 6 weeks!! How could it STILL be implantation? They just totally brushed me off. So now I still don't have any answers!

Comments

• Options
    annerbonesannerbones Posts: 1,812
    edited November -1
    It could be baby burrowing, uterus stretching, lots of reasons. I spotted around 5 weeks. Had q healthy rest of pregnancy.

Good luck
    raF7m7.png
    Progesterone therapy and baby aspirin daily

Two miscarriages in between (August 2012 - same donor as Maggie, and December 2014 with husband)
    Maggie
    PNa0m7.png
  • Options
    Ms.KateMs.Kate Posts: 1,216
    edited November -1
    I'm sorry the appointment seemed to cause you more stress than good, but at least you got to see your baby. Just try to relax, and if you continue to have a negative experience with staff or people there, find a new practice.
    Congrats on everything!
  • Options
    IbelieveIbelieve Posts: 471
    edited November -1
    I had spotting for a day or two when I was around 6 weeks. I now have a very healthy 2 year old!
  • Options
    EMG_RELEMG_REL Posts: 2,379
    edited November -1
    My DP spotted at about 8 weeks and a few more times throughout her pregnancy (even into the third trimester), and we have a very healthy 10-month-old. :)

Sorry the hospital staff was filled with a$$holes when you were there! Like a PP said, I'm glad you got to see your baby, though. I hope you can relax a little.
    wqr43o.jpg
    IRcim4.png
    iaXMm4.png
  • Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited November -1
    I spotted around six weeks with my second pregnancy, and my sister spotted with her first pregnancy. In both cases we went on to have girls . . . maybe they like to practice stressing you out early! :) Spotting can also be from placenta previa and some other conditions. I have a friend who had some serious bleeding from another condition, and they put her on bed rest for a week and now she has a 2 month old.

Do you have a choice where you can deliver? You usually have to go wherever your OB is affiliated, so if you really didn't like that hospital, you may need to choose another OB. I'm surprised they didn't check you out on the maternity ward vs. the ER. Each time I went in for a problem, they took me up to the maternity ward to run all the tests, but I called my OB's office first before going in, so it wasn't the same is showing up unannounced in the ER.

And for me, it was a whole lot of waiting around and bloodwork that they didn't report the results back to me - they gave them to my doctor. I think I was there for four hours one time because I came in with one problem and the bloodwork pointed out another problem which led to my early induction. They ran tests I didn't know they ran, which is probably the case with you and they just didn't want to tell you about it. It sometimes seemed to me that they didn't give out all the info you want to have unless they had conclusive evidence of something. And even then, sometimes they just don't "bother" you with it. For example, I didn't realize I was Group B Strep positive until after I'd delivered my daughter and they said she was at-risk for it. They didn't want to bother me with that little detail because they figured it was their responsibility and not mine. But, had I known, I would have insisted they give me the first antibiotic shot when I was in early labor and they sent me home, because then they missed the window for the first and second shot. Anyway, sorry you had a bad experience, but I felt like my hospital was top-notch and they still didn't disclose everything to me the way I thought they should have.
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png
  • Options
    Sunshine4BabySunshine4Baby Posts: 378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    With my son I spotted brown/pink and had horrible cramps for weeks during my first trimester , with this pregnancy I am on progesterone suppositories and have no spotting at all , do I am thinking I might have had low progesterone with him and just find know it, he is a perfectly healthy almost 3 yr old now !
  • Options
    SamiD08SamiD08 Posts: 38
    edited November -1
    I had some spotting right around 6 weeks too. Didn't last very long, but the doc sent me for an ultrasound. So far no other issues over the last 36 weeks, so I'd say it could easily be nothing :). And Kari has a good point, I am having a girl so maybe they just start adding stress before they even leave the womb to prepare you for their teen years ;)
  • Options
    TheMysticalOneTheMysticalOne Posts: 850 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, let's hope there's a little girl on her way!! :D

There are two hospitals in town, but since I've only been living here for a year I hadn't realized that each specialized in something. Apparently the one I went to was a "cardiac" hospital and the others specialized in "maternity/childbirth". I just wish they had told me that when I had checked in. When I called my OBGYN they just told me to go to the hospital. I didn't know I should go to a specific one. Luckily I know this now and can go to the RIGHT hospital next time.

I am also using a progesterone cream. I'm hoping this is helping this pregnancy. I believe it is. I HOPE that they ran more tests with the FOUR vials of blood I gave them!! Otherwise it would have been such a waste.

Thank you guys for making me feel better about the spotting. Luckily the spotting is still brown and not red. If it was red I would be a lot more worried. As long as the cramps stay away I feel better about it. I'll be so ready for my dr. appt next week so i can get some peace of mind!!
  • Options
    FlowergirlFlowergirl Posts: 2,040
    edited November -1
    I'm so sorry that you had a bad ER experience, but so glad you got to see your baby!

Spotting is very normal, and generally if it is light, (not filling a pad in an hour or less) not bright red, no clotting, or not accompanied by heavy cramping, it is not considered a problem. And even heavy episodes of bleeding aren't always indicative of a miscarriage.

I had very, very light spotting at 4 and 8 weeks last time (baby was fine at that time both times) - Dr. assured me both times it was normal and not to worry.

This time I have been lightly spotting randomly off and on - it's still considered normal and baby is doing perfectly so far!! I've also had some fairly intense cramping... it's so scary, but it certainly doesn't mean anything is wrong! Try to enjoy your pregnancy :)
    After 9 yrs & 1 devastating loss, we got our BFP at 9DPO ~ and welcomed our beautiful son on Halloween! Best treat ever!!

a3cmlv.jpg
  • Options
    OneSmallStepOneSmallStep Posts: 1,685
    edited November -1
    Wow, sorry to hear you had such a horrible experience at the er! Glad to hear that it's probably just because they are a cruddy hospital and that you get to go to the other one next time. As for the spotting, I've heard it's fairly common and so long as it's light it's not something to worry about (though I totally get worrying!)
    Hubby of kopykat451
    TTC #1 5/16/11 = BFP 14 DPI / TTC #2 11/16/12 = No O; 4/12/13= BFN; 6/9/13 = BFP!! (11 DPI) - MC 5wk5dys / TTC#3 3 BFN's and 4th try 10/21/13 = BFP!!!! (Squinter at 10dpi!)
    AVPCm4.png
    stitchlove_3_2013_zpsdd668ea6.jpg
    2014.png
  • Options
    2moms2moms Posts: 731 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did they check your progesterone? I'd call your OB back again and see if you can get in tomorrow to have that specifically checked. If your progesterone levels are low and that's what's causing the spotting you need to be on progesterone suppositories as the cream isn't sufficient enough.
    Pzl2m5.png
    LNiUm5.png
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    I'm so sorry this stressful time was made worse by your hospital visit. The reception in ER is very different than what you find in maternity!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png