Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Cold/Flu & medications in early pregnancy

scifimomscifimom Posts: 1,173
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
Hi, this is my first post on this side as I just got my bfp on Sunday.

My question is, has anyone else been really sick with a cold/flu in the TWW or early pregnancy (really I want to hear about your healthy happy babies that you had with the flu in pregnancy)? First I had a cold for a like a week, and now I have a bad flu with aches, fever, and coughing that won't quit!

I called my obgyn office and the nurse told me I can take cough expectorant and tylenol and cough drops. Before my bfp I was also taking cough suppressant along with the other two ingredients. I'm just getting nervous because I have been on chemicals probably going on 2 weeks, and I would really really prefer not to take chemicals!!! Any reassurance is welcome. This is getting really depressing. Thank you.
EyNNm4.png
zjng3tj.jpgzjngm4.png

Comments

• Options
    palegreenpalegreen Posts: 1,478
    edited November -1
    Congratulations! Sorry you aren't feeling very well though. :(

This is what I took while pregnant. It contains all of the 4 ingredients that my doctor said were okay to take:
    http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-cold-severe-multi-symptom-caplets/ID=prod5825837-product

Active Ingredients:
    Acetaminophen - 325 mgPain Reliever/Fever Reducer , Dextromethorphan HBr - 10 mgCough Suppressant , Guaifenesin - 200 mgExpectorant , Phenylephrine HCl - 5 mgNasal Decongestant
    sig2017_zpsneeoat7k.jpg
  • Options
    Shaeley MaeShaeley Mae Posts: 1,731
    edited May 2012
    Well, I'm not one to take meds during pregnancy (I'm actually just getting over a sinus infection that I took NOTHING for), but certainly my OB gave me the greenlight to take a few things.
    I think the consesus is that a happy and healthy mama = a happy and healthy baby.
    So, sometimes you have to weigh the benefits of meds against the possible side effects.

In your case, I think you're especially ok to move forward with your OBs advice since the umbilical doesn't really start transporting chemicals to baby until 10-11 weeks.
    That said, I also know that taking meds during pregnancy can be emotional hurdle. :/

Good luck. Hope you feel better soon.
    IMG_0408-rs.jpgIMG_7844-rs.jpg
  • Options
    scifimomscifimom Posts: 1,173
    edited May 2012
    Thanks Palegreen and Shaeley Mae (you are tough!).

The real kicker is that I haven't had a cold or flu for literally 4 years! I was on an ultra healthy diet and supplements, but have been slipping on that lifestyle. Now with pregnancy I just want to be mostly healthy whole foods. :)

Also, I just laid out in the sun to try to burn this out!!!
    EyNNm4.png
    zjng3tj.jpgzjngm4.png