Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

PCOS - What would you do?

emandessemandess Posts: 117
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
Hi everyone,

I have PCOS and I went to the ob/gyn today because I've been bleeding for an abnormal amount of time and I wanted to get it regulated and also talk about my odds of conception. It's my first time at this ob since I moved to this town. I was pleased that her practice is GLBT friendly and liked her pretty well. I have a very thick uterine lining, which is something that can happen with PCOS apparently. She did a biopsy to be sure that it wasn't cancerous. She said her approach to my current bleeding depends on my goals. I told her I was ready to TTC now and asked if they did IUIs in their office. She said no ob/gyn in this town does IUIs but it's fine because she can send me to a doctor who does (he is a RE) and she refers all IUI patients to him. She said he would probably want to start me on hormones/meds/whatever to get me ovulating properly. She said she'd call me next week with the results of the biopsy and we'll plan more then.

There is only one fertility center/ RE office in my town, and it has VERY mixed reviews from what I can tell. That's where the dr. she wants to refer me to works. If I lived in a different place with more options, I would never consider going there. But then again, IUI isn't nearly as complicated as IVF, so maybe my opinion of this place doesn't matter that much.

I have a partner who is willing to carry but who has never had a particular desire to. We tried at home in Oct with two vials and got a BFN. There are no red flags with her--she menstruates almost like clockwork--and it could be that we were just unlucky. She did take one of those FRER fertility tests and it indicated she might have trouble conceiving. I don't know how reliable those things are.

Financially, we'd prefer the cheaper route. If we can get her pregnant at home, that'd be a lot easier than going to the RE.

Have any of you with PCOS conceived via IUI?
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    DooniezmomDooniezmom Posts: 77
    edited November -1
    I have pcos. I don't get my periods regularly either. I am seeing an RE who truly believes all women with PCOS can become pregant. It's a matter of how you go about it. There is clomid which I am going to start with. Then there are injectables. If you are doing the hormones you should be followed by the doc to see if your follies are getting bigger and if you need a trigger shot to ovulate or if you will ovulate on your own. You can still do the home insem with this method. It is all possible. I'm doing the IUI in the REs office. I was going to do it at home but with my schedule it's better for us to have the doc and nurses tell me when I need to be there. Good luck!
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    As you can see below....yes. I had no idea I had pcos until I started TTC. I was lucky to have an obgyn who did IUI's, I did several months of clomid and IUI's which felt like a life time. Looking, back of course it is almost funny how I would have done it a million times over to have Kate! If you really want to carry a baby and your partner is ambivalent I would def at least talk with the RE. You and your partner should sit down before hand and talk about what you are willing to try (finances, medications, number of months etc) so you go in with a plan (If I am not pregnant after 6 months, 5 grand, whatever your "numbers" are) then we'll switch. As many women can tell you here, clock work periods and no red flags doesn't guarantee anything when it comes to TTC! Good luck.
    image_zps64579b54.png