Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

why now? and what would you do?

preciousgiftpreciousgift Posts: 2,191
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
Hi all....
About an hour ago, my finger got slammed in a heavy door...OUCH...
I iced it and put a makeshift splint on it... it happened on the middle finger of left hand right on the first joint above the fingertip.

My question is.... should I go to ER....?
I have never broken a bone before....
I am sure they will want to do an xray...but I am 10 days post ovulation today.. haven't tested to see if i am preggers yet and wasn't planning on testing for a while yet - 16 day long luteal phase.....
they may do a preg test if they want xrays and I didn't want to test yet...
Arggghhhh....
what do you think you'd do????
lg2wm5.png
........................... :) Trying again soon :)..................................

Comments

• Options
    mommylovemommylove Posts: 1,582
    edited November -1
    You would know immediatly if it were broken. Your entire hand would swell and you'd be entirely unable to move that finger or bend it. So it likely isn't actually broken, though I am sure incredibly painful and likely bruised to the bone.
    If it were broken, for a finger there isn't much of anything they can do. If it is actually dislocated they could set it and then splint it.

Anyway, I would feel ok not going to the ER and have actually broken two fingers before. They got placed in a splint and bandaged, thats it!
    Good luck! Hope you feel better soon and that the finger does too! :-)
    be422225-267e-4ff7-94c0-a8d5baf3176a_zpse0970fea.jpg
    October 2014

Dk5Zm7.png

22gfm7.png
  • Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would get one of those fingertip splint things, wrap it up, keep it elevated, and see where you are with it tomorrow.
    Ouch! Sorry that happened!
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for your opinions--- I think
    I will wait and see how it is tomorrow.... not a big fan of hanging out in the er for hours on end...mommylove.... how long did it take your fingers to heal?

k+h- good idea on the finger splint
    lg2wm5.png
    ........................... :) Trying again soon :)..................................
  • Options
    TrishlettesTrishlettes Posts: 674
    edited November -1
    you could go to an urgent care also instead of waiting for hours at the ER
    54W9ZxL.jpg54W9m5.png
  • Options
    tiffspradtiffsprad Posts: 557
    edited November -1
    Id rather splint my own finger than spend 5 hours at the er and get a negative pt bc its too early.
  • Options
    old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited November -1
    Last summer I had an accident. ER dr.s thought my arm was broken. I was as "possibly" far along as you are at the time. I just told them there was a possiblity I was PG and NO I did not want a PG test and they wrapped me up good with lead aprons and took the x-ray. It was not broken thank goodness so I don't know what I would have done for pain meds if it had needed to be set. As it was I refused anything for pain--just in case--and stuck to ice packs. I hope you feel better this morning.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks ladies for your answers... Well... I made my own homemade split from a stick lol.... and elastic bandages b/c I couldn't really leave work right at that time. It worked really well actually. I didn't want to spend hours in the Er.... I also iced it for a while. Today it is a little sore... but not swollen or anything... so I think I did the right thing..... :)
    I really didn't want to find out if I was preggers or not.. at the er.

I am 11 days post o today, and am waiting as long as possible to test. Since, my luteal phase tends to be around 16 days, I still have a ways to go. I just think it is easier the less BFN's you get.. they are a bummer :(

So... thanks all.... Here's to some more BFP's in June.... We need to add to the June list!
    lg2wm5.png
  • Options
    coryandamandacoryandamanda Posts: 1,527
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't bother with a trip to the ER for something like this anyway. I'm also an x-ray tech and have worked in hospitals and with Orthopedics too. If it is something that requires any sort of attention then all they will do is splint it and send you to an ortho anyway. You might as well head straight to an Ortho (or your PCP if you have insurance that requires a referral). You can do xrays right now, especially for a finger since it is such low radiation. Like PP mentioned, just make sure they cover you up good with the lead aprons. Hope it is better tomorrow.
    July 4, 2015
    image_2.jpgu