Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Anyone do an at home IUI procedure either with help or by yourself????

preciousgiftpreciousgift Posts: 2,191
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
Hi... Just wondering if anyone has done a home IUI with a catheter into the uterus either with help, or by themselves....?????

How did you do it??? (particularly if you did it yourself).... Any tips would be appreciated.....:)

I was thinking of skipping this month and just go to an RE next month... until I found out that it will cost about $5000 (that is not a typo) for one cycle). They won't just do an IUI.. they REQUIRE a sono- and all kinds of other tests BEFORE they will do an IUI. And, my insurance would cover none of that.

I am praying that this cycle works !!!!!
lg2wm5.png
........................... :) Trying again soon :)..................................
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow. That's expensive. Are there any other REs near you?
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    cocolibbycocolibby Posts: 385
    edited November -1
    Seriously. That's ridiculously expensive, considering the costs of IVF.

Our RE required a consultation ($310 including an ultrasound) and some basic labs (around $100) to get started. Then, each cycle started with a cycle day 3 ultrasound ($110), Clomid for 5 days ($9) cycle day 12 ultrasound ($110), possibly another scan depending on follicles (so +/- another $110), trigger shot ($59), the IUI ($140), and betas if needed ($38 each).

So, less the cost of sperm, $838 for the first cycle, $460ish for the second one. Well worth it since we were clearly not getting the sperm into my uterus the previous 8 times we had tried at home, and we got a BFP both times with the RE.

I would doctor shop for sure, but there are definitely people on this forum who've had IUI success at home, and one I can think of who has a post about doing it herself - you could find it if you searched, I don't want to call her out if she doesn't want me to do so.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks... Cocolibby... are you anywhere near Delaware... I would definitely use an RE if the prices were like you mentioned>>..
    This office charges$880 JUST for one IUI! BUt, again they won't even do it unles you go through ALL of their testing FIRST!
    lg2wm5.png
    ........................... :) Trying again soon :)..................................
  • Options
    scifimomscifimom Posts: 1,173
    edited June 2012
    I have done a few at-home IUI's (the very first one probably was just an ICI). I'm not totally positive if I got the catheter in all the way to the uterus. However, this last time I stopped going in further, not because I hit resistance, but because it didn't seem to be stopping and I got nervous. Therefore, I think it was in pretty far. My OB was pretty skeptical that I could get it all the way in due to the way the cervix is not necessarily a straight shot. He referred me to fertility clinics, and I probably could have saved up for it pretty easily (it's much cheaper here than where you are.) However, because I am still legally married, they required a spouse signature (which would make him the actual father, and that would defeat the whole purpose of using a donor! Right now, my divorce is only weeks away!)

I was sent to this website by ladies on this board: http://theivp.com/ladybusiness/?p=12. Now that I'm glancing at these suggestions, I see the author believes the cervix to be about 4cm and I'm sure I went further than that. I used a combination of the info from this link, plus what I gathered from reading old threads about it on here.

I used the NW catheter and syringe. Disposable size small speculums from ebay. Preseed to lube the speculum. A small bathroom mirror with the magnifying side and it had a stand, just a cheap one from Target. I used a flash light, however this last time I used a floor lamp that I could bend over and shine into the mirror. Yeah, the light is going to shine into the mirror and that reflects the light into see the cervix. I washed my hands good, you could wear gloves, not sure if I did the last time, but I kept everything very clean. There's no need to touch the catheter, only the very top to get it on the syringe. I had a clean paper towel laid out for the catheter and stuff to sit on. Laying on my bed over a clean towel. I found my cervix (I have to point the speculum in then down) and locked the speculum in place. Then I proceeded to get the vial out of the tank, which was right beside me on the bed, and thawed/warmed it in my hand. I did not like the feel of my cervix being exposed to air while I thawed/warmed the vial, but I didn't want to risk the vial sitting out while I looked for my cervix (which can sometimes take a while). I pushed the sperm to the end of the catheter and put catheter in the center of the OS. If I hid resistance right away, I move it over just a touch and gently slide it in again. It slides in very easily in when I have it in the right spot. I read to press the sperm in slowly, however, I didn't feel like I had control over that. Also, in the instructions, there is mention of not getting air in the uterus, so do your research about that and decide for yourself, maybe you even have an obgyn you can ask. I had an air bubble at the top of the syringe this last time, however, it seemed just the right amount to fill the catheter and get all the sperm out.

Please don't go by what I'm writing here, this is just my personal experience. And not to sound silly, but it is just for informational purposes. Be cautious and do through research.

I have read, even just recently, about a women going in to get her IUI and the Dr. on call wasn't very familiar with doing IUI's. So, I think it's just a simple procedure and didn't see why I couldn't just do it myself! Hope this helps!

Jeez, edited for typo's. It does not matter how many times I reread my work, there is always at least one or two things off. :) One more thought, I have read other women find it easier to lay on the floor on a towel to find their cervix.
    EyNNm4.png
    zjng3tj.jpgzjngm4.png
  • Options
    cocobaycocobay Posts: 1,318
    edited November -1
    We do our IUIs at home. My partner has done 3 cycles (one that conceived our son). We do two IUIs per cycle. I use a website that has really great instructions. http://theivp.com/ladybusiness/
  • Options
    edited November -1
    wow... thanks everyone for great answers.
    Scifimom.... thanks for your very detailed explanation.
    I just thought of maybe attempting this.... But, I doubt I can do it this cycle....as I don't have a speculum or catheter.... uggghhh...
    I wasn't expecting to use frozen sperm this month... but known donor had something come up, and is not available.... arrrr...
    lg2wm5.png