Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Recap on our camping adventure

KariKari Posts: 1,765
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
Okay, a few things I learned:

1) Justin sleeps equally well as I do away from home; which is not at all
2) Campers have three spots you can sleep in, and remarkably the most comfortable one I found - and the only safe place for Juliet - was the floor
3) I don't know how to turn on the heater in a camper, so it was a chilly night
4) If you have to cook with butter instead of oil, it will set of the fire alarm half a dozen times, waking your neighbors
5) When you're really, really tired it takes a few days to recover

Overall, it wasn't horrible, but we really didn't sleep well and Justin was still having tantrums several times until this afternoon's nap. When we got home and unpacked everything, I felt really disoriented for an hour or two, almost like when I had each of my kids and their was just this surreal period of a few hours after their birth where I couldn't wrap my head around the fact that they were here. Only this time I was having trouble remember where I lived and that I was home now. Weird.

We'll probably go back again this summer, but just as a day trip. If we leave in the morning when Juliet would normally take a nap, she'll sleep the whole way while Justin watches a DVD. And then we can come home at night after dinner and they can both sleep if they're tired. It would be nice to use the camper if it's available for taking naps, but definitely not overnight ever again.

Justin did enjoy the outing. We did some traditional camping stuff (eating outdoors, s'mores, campfire), went to the ocean, rode rides at the theme park, and went into the water park for a few minutes as well. Juliet slept for a good hour at the theme park, enjoyed the kids' lagoon at the water park, and even went on two rides that they let her on with my sister holding her so I could take pictures (carousel and an antique car ride). It was Justin's first time on a ride, and he tried almost all the kiddie rides. If we would've stayed longer, he probably would've tried them all, but we only stayed for about three hours.

Good times, but with the kids this age, I'm going to stick to day trips for another few years!
100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
r9vOm4.png
Ri4Gm4.png

Comments

• Options
    melmel Posts: 793
    edited November -1
    I think you are incredibly brave for even attempting camping with a 3 year old and a baby! It sounds like it was a great experience for Justin though I totally understand your exhaustion.
    Jjr6m5.png
  • Options
    old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited November -1
    The last several years our camping is at a state park in a rented cabin...you have that outdoor feel but with modern convenieces! When I was young my ambitious parents took us into the mts. of WA and all we had was two tarps--one for the floor and one for the roof! Later an old army tent but we had a blast. I however like a toliet and AC to sleep in!
  • Options
    A&JA&J Posts: 1,825
    edited November -1
    Kari, I love your stories. I definitely intend to stick to day trips for awhile...I think.
    th_img-191_zps90b22fea.jpg
    th_img-109_zps4769e6c4.jpg
  • Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like it was quite the adventure! I don't know that avoiding traveling will help improve things, though. We've tent camped with E and cabin camped several times. Is it easy? no. but it is adorable and fun! Tent camping was when she was 13 months old and it was exhausting! Cabin camping was at 6 weeks, 7 months, and 14 months and we'll go again for both this Fall. Practice certainly makes it much, much better!
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png