Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Pre-school

roses25roses25 Posts: 567
edited July 2012 in Parenting and Life
Those of you that have pre-school where you live are so lucky. The only pre-school that we have here is head start (which we don't qualify for unless Aiden happens to get into the 10% spot....2-3 spots for kids ages 3-5 who don't qualify otherwise). Aiden's been there for 2 screenings with the hope to get him into pre-school with the 10% spots. I was told we'd find out in August who gets those spots, but just to cross my fingers and hope he gets in. The closest pre-school which isn't a headstart program is 30 miles from here in another town.

Everytime we drive by the headstart Aiden asks me, "Mommy, is that my preschool?" or "There's my preschool, Mommy!" I've never said that's his preschool when we've went there, but he sure thinks it's his pre-school. He wants to go to pre-school so badly, and it breaks my heart to not be able to give him that pre-school experience that he wants so badly. I can do pre-school at home and will since he can't get any other pre-school, but I really don't think that's what he wants.

ETA: I've thought about emailing our superintendent to see if there's any future plans of having a pre-school for all pre-school children in town to attend (you know one that is held at the elementary school and taught by a certified teacher). I thought maybe if I asked about it, that it would be one more parent expressing concerns that their child doesn't have a pre-school option. I have no idea if this has every been brought up before other that the Special Ed Director has tried talking him into having a Pre-K class, but so far it's a no.

Carolyn
EBD822A6-1848-4872-A55B-C1ED22646371_zpsufz2fxda.jpeg
schm94df60emqyke.png
lazxi8i3cso8qa7m.png
lfngmjscscvr4zbw.png

Comments

• Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you read the recent research that preschool is overrated for smart kids and may actually hold them back? European countries dot start school until age six and they have smart well adjusted kids. I think social interaction is important, but school is not. Try to think of the positives.
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited November -1
    You might put a bug in your Supt. ear...our community which has Headstart and 3 other preschools...qualified for huge federal funds for the last three years to start a preschool program through the school. What is nice it is certified staff and has $ so nice room and lots of supplies and toys for the kids--a quality program..my son went through it and learned a lot! In your community where there is NO preschool except Headstart I would bet you would qualify. I wish I were a grant writer and could tell you how to do it but I know there is big $ out there! May not be able to get it in time for Aiden but you have another on the way!
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    :D I'm so thankful for all of the choices that living in a large city offers. I could never do the rural/small town thing! Having said that though - I agree with K&H - try to look at the positives. While I have lots of schools and activities to chose from that are "close by" the traffic in this city makes me want to move to the country and homeschool everyone in a heart beat!
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    annerbonesannerbones Posts: 1,812
    edited November -1
    I full heartedly support preschool and think that every child should have the opportunity to attend. As a Kindergarten teacher I could tell within minutes which kids had attended preschool and which had not. Preschool provides opportunity for socialization, basic learning skills and provides a strong foundation for reading. I haven't read the research that K&H is talking about but I totally understand where roses25 is coming from in wnating to provide her child with this opportunity.
    raF7m7.png
    Progesterone therapy and baby aspirin daily

Two miscarriages in between (August 2012 - same donor as Maggie, and December 2014 with husband)
    Maggie
    PNa0m7.png
  • Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited November -1
    Justin's daycare has preschool for the 3 & 4 year olds, and our town (different from where he goes to daycare) has preschool through the local school for all 4-year olds. That said, most of the skills he'll need he's already learning at daycare. They've taught him so much already, and always before I thought he'd be ready for it! In his 2-year old class, they have centers, quiet listening time, calendar time; practice using markers, crayons, scissors, play-doh, and other fine-motor skills; rules everyone has to learn to follow; practice saying Miss X or Miss Y; potty-training; learning to put on clothes; learning to drink from a cup and carry your own lunchbox to the table; etc. These are things I just don't have the time for in the two hours in the morning and two hours in the evening I get face time with the kids (and am doing dishes, laundry, packing lunches, making breakfast and dinner, etc.).

What I would look at are what skills he needs for kindergarten, and whether or not he's getting them in his two daycare settings. The whole socialization piece is huge, and if he's not able to get that through his daycare or a preschool, definitely try to find other ways for him to not only socialize with other kids his age, but learn to do things like sit quietly and listen for 10 minutes (at library story time, or by taking a swimming class or other "class" where there are expected behaviors) and have the opportunity to discuss and learn things with peers. Justin, when by himself, doesn't really play. When with his friends, you can't stop him. At the same time, he's learning with his friends how to deal with problems (there are 6 of us and only 4 pretend lawn mowers, so how can we all play together?) by learning to share or get creative and problem-solve (two can ride other vehicles and pretend they're riding lawn mowers!).

I do understand what it's like to live rurally and have limited choices. We have to drive 15 minutes to find a library with a weekend story time for toddlers and it's only once a month; swim lessons would be a 30-minute drive; and there's not much else being offered around here. Keep pushing for one of those extra spots, and encourage them to research grants for PreK education for all kids. It's a profit-maker for the school I teach at, because parents in neighboring towns without PreK pay to send their kids to us, and we require that they stay for both PreK and K before going back to their home town for school.
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png
  • Options
    DuckDuck Posts: 314
    edited November -1
    K&H wrote:
    Have you read the recent research that preschool is overrated for smart kids and may actually hold them back? European countries dot start school until age six and they have smart well adjusted kids. I think social interaction is important, but school is not. Try to think of the positives.

Waldorf, Montessori and Reggio Emilia all were started in Europe. While children are required to attend school at 6 in Europe (just like they they are in the US), early childhood education is a valued part of their system. Here's a page from the European Commission on education discussing how they have a goal that 95% of children will be in early childhood programs between the ages of 4-6 http://ec.europa.eu/education/school-education/childhood_en.htm

(Sorry, this is what happens when you're the husband of a woman who's passionate about early childhood education.)

roses, That situation must be really frustrating for you. Hopefully there will be a way for Aiden to have this experience with other children.
    Zack and Emily

Qchkm4.png

nQy3m4.png
  • Options
    LauranLauran Posts: 992
    edited November -1
    Same issue here! All the so-called "preschool" classes other than Head Start are actually daycare, and if I wanted to get Cruz in a decent one, we're talking $1000/month. Most daycares around here have the maximum number of children with the minimum number of teachers allowed by law, and their curriculums are not well followed, from what I've seen.

I'm hoping to get him into 4K at the local elementary school when he's old enough, but he would have to "test down" into it. In other words, I would have to prove he needs extra help. Academically, I don't think he will, but he will likely be the youngest in his class and I do think he needs the social skills.

Sorry for rambling on about myself with no helpful solutions, just wanted to say I totally understand!
    8753d5b8-b427-43ab-84c1-768bae9fb46b.jpg179591c8-0980-4d54-bf49-65f3f46650c4.jpg
  • Options
    cAtWmN84cAtWmN84 Posts: 462
    edited November -1
    you may have seen my FB post about adri getting into pre-k.its for 4 year olds and its at a really good public school.its been rated either #1 or #2 in the state.but i hate that its 5.5 hours a day 5 days a week.i was super exited when i found out it was free for us and i wouldn't have to pay a thing :D so maybe aiden wil get in when he's 4.......
    yqOs9SZ.jpgyqOsm5.png
    Qkvimpd.jpgQkvim4.png
    dxnZweE.jpgdxnZm5.png