Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Taking a toddler on a cruise

palegreenpalegreen Posts: 1,478
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
We are wanting to take a vacation before we add #2 to our family, because once we do, it will likely be a few years before we take another vacation. We've been looking into a 6 night cruise with some friends of ours (who will hopefully be expecting by that time) scheduled for the end of January when G will be 18 months old. Has anyone cruised with a toddler before? Is there something I'm not thinking of that might need to be considered before booking this cruise?
sig2017_zpsneeoat7k.jpg

Comments

• Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Some cruise lines count children as a whole person in terms of cost, others have a discounted rate. So that is something to look into.

Oh. Big one. If he's not potty trained he can't swim in the pool on the ship. They don't generally allow swim diapers.

We also want to take E on a cruise in January, also before ttc #2. where are you thinking of going?
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes, we're aware of the cost and the potty trained/pool/swim diaper issue. The 3rd person in a cabin is discounted regardless of the age, so it won't seem like that big of a financial hit to add him. The ship we are looking at has an H2O zone dedicated to kids. Here is the info for the specific cruise we are looking at: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cruiseDetails/itineraryAndPricing.do?hasSenior=&hasMilitary=&hasFireandPolice=&cruiseType=CO&state=&packageCode=ID06W026&date=201300&sailDate=1130127
    Wanna come? :D
    sig2017_zpsneeoat7k.jpg
  • Options
    Shaeley MaeShaeley Mae Posts: 1,731
    edited July 2012
    I acutally won a 5 day/4 nt cruise (on Carnival), and am on the fence about giving it away.
    In looking at the other traveler photos, the ships aren't toddler friendly. I have horrible visions of Lilianna slipping between the railings and either falling onto the deck below, or worse, off the ship. As well, the kids area (pool and waterslide) still seem pretty advanced for a small toddler. And then the set meal times could be hard to adhere to with a toddler. I keep coming back to the idea that a Disney cruise is the only way to go with toddlers (surely the ship is more toddler-safe, and surely there are MANY more toddler friendly activities).

I would love to hear positive reivews from others as far as previous experience on cruises with toddlers.

Oh, and yes, I will have to pay full fare for my infant son who will consume NOTHING on the ship.
    IMG_0408-rs.jpgIMG_7844-rs.jpg
  • Options
    sugarprincesssugarprincess Posts: 629
    edited November -1
    I went on my first cruise this past jan. of course we don't have children but I would have been as paranoid as shaeley stated. Obviously no little ones went overboard during the cruise but I think the fear would still be there. there were tons of little kids everywhere so many people do brave taking their kids with. It does get challenging to "find" things to do while you are on the two day portion of travel where you don't get off the ship. I can imagine that may be tricky with a toddler. I would suggest brining a bag of his favorite things to do for time spent in the cabin. Depending on the time of year(our first day was windy and cold) you may spend more time inside than you anticipate. If you are going in the summer you probably won't have to deal with weather though:)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here are some images of the kid's H2O zone on the ship:
    htwooh.jpg
    h2Ozone.jpg
    sig2017_zpsneeoat7k.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Omg! I love that kid zone. Seriously tempting!
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've been on several cruises in the past and all of them have been in the fall/winter, so I'm aware of the weather issues we may encounter, but that is an excellent point to consider! We would have to plan for plenty of indoor activities in the event that the weather is too windy/cold to be on the pool deck. This is a massive ship, so there are lots of non-pool activities and places for entertainment.
    sig2017_zpsneeoat7k.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    K&H wrote:
    Omg! I love that kid zone. Seriously tempting!
    I know, right? :)
    So, you're coming?
    sig2017_zpsneeoat7k.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have to rally the troops. We're planning our family plus two aunties, but it looks so awesome.
    Does Royal Caribbean have room service included? We usually do NCL which does include it for free. Also, is it set meal times, or eat when you want?
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The last time I cruised they provided free room service (gratuity appreciated) during reasonable times that I don't recall specifically. Probably something along the lines of 5am-midnight? If you order "late night room service" they do apply charges for that. We ordered breakfast in our room multiple times and napped through dinner one evening, so just called an order to our room instead.
    They offer some flexibility for the main dining room. You can choose:
    traditional dining with an early or late seating option
    My time dining where you can either show up whenever is convenient or make reservations.
    sig2017_zpsneeoat7k.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Did you see this?!

Oh! Oh!! 
    http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/experience/html.do?exCode=546

Join your child in the fun of Royal Tots, interactive playgroup sessions developed by early childhood experts at Fisher-Price®. Each 45-minute session, held on one of our onboard lounges, offers activities that expose children to new experiences and teach you how to make playtime learning time as well. Plus, your little one will be all smiles and giggles as they make new discoveries, sing, sway and play with great toys they're sure to love. A parent or caregiver MUST accompany children during all playgroup sessions.
    Available On All Ships

Fisher-Price® Toy Lending Program Draw from an onboard treasure chest of Fisher-Price® toys during your stay with us. Our Fisher-Price® Toy Lending Program consists of a collection of developmental toys, specifically created for infants and toddlers ages 6-36 months. Borrow and exchange toys for a new activity every day, and help your little one?s growing mind learn through play.
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    cocobaycocobay Posts: 1,318
    edited November -1
    We have actually contemplated bringing my younger cousin to help with Bronx on a cruise. We really want to go to the Bahamas. Let me know if y'all decide to go!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    @K&H, YES...and you can drop them off in the nursery for $8/hour and you are allowed a maximum of 20 hours! They give you phones (long range walkie talkies maybe?) so they can contact you if needed. They even allow you to leave your kids in the kids' program or nursery while you go onshore. Woot!

@Cocobay, we are 95% going...we're just a phone call and a credit card number away from booking. We just have to find the time to call and ask some questions about booking through BJ's or Costco before we decide if we go thru them, a travel agency or the Royal Caribbean website.
    sig2017_zpsneeoat7k.jpg
  • Options
    cocobaycocobay Posts: 1,318
    edited November -1
    We cruise with Carnival. We get discounts for how many cruises we have taken. I am pretty sure we will leave out of Jacksonville if we go.. But-- Ali just said a few nights ago that she would like to take a vacation just the two of us (because we are going to Disney in October). She mentioned Vegas, and that is my absolute weakness but I don't know if I could leave Bronx for 3nights, 4 days.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've got H convinced! Now to convince the Aunties!

We could make it a NW get together! Anyone else interested?
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    GaBeekeeperGaBeekeeper Posts: 916
    edited November -1
    Wow. A cruise is my dream vacation. I cannot talk DW into taking a vacation and we need one lol. Last vacation was our honeymoon in Vegas in 2005. Sorry no advice on this subject just wanted to say I hope one day to go on a cruise. :)
    pqkom4.png
    FxZxm4.pngcarousel_zps296ade6d.jpg
  • Options
    charcoaleyescharcoaleyes Posts: 864
    edited November -1
    That sounds like lots of fun, except for the whole boat thing. I get so seasick, and DH hates boats. We just need to find a resort with fun stuff.
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    First of all ... I would love to be the recipient of that unused cruise if Shaeley Mae decides to give it away!

But as to the question at hand, what does your toddler eat? I know that when traveling with Shiloh, I always packed food. Applesauce, and fruit cups, and non-fridge yogurt, and oatmeal, and peanut butter, and granola bars, and raisins. I could always count on getting things like fresh fruit and eggs and meat and cheese while traveling. But I needed to know that she had her staples too!

I was afraid of cruises when Shiloh was little because of the [somewhat irrational] fear that she could fall overboard. But that part aside, a cruise would be great. You take the baby where you want during the day. And if you need adult time, you call for a sitter to come to the room. You do have to pay for that but it could be worth it for one or two nights out!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png