Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

hives as an allergic reaction to illness?

ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
Has anyone had this happen with their kids? K always got really high fevers so you pretty much knew what was up. There was just never any question when she was sick. Well, the only question was - ear infection or some other random illness/virus. L has had a cold for several days, maybe a week. Mom swore it was just teething but I was debating taking her in. It just never seemed to get worse so I didn't go with my gut (oh when will I learn!?!?). So yesterday afternoon while at K's gymnastics class L suddenly breaks out in hives. I actually didn't know they were hives (never had them or seen them on any kids!) so we went straight to the after hours pediatrician. She has a double ear infection which the doctor said was the most likely cause of the hives. She started antibiotics last night and had benadryl as well. The hives were gone today but when we got home from a 4th swimming party/cook out she was completely broken out again. (They both fell asleep in the car so she was all sweaty when I got her out). Probably worse than yesterday. I'm just confused about the whole "alllergic reaction" thing. Before the doctor looked in her ears we were discussing possible cause for the hives and I said she had cherries this week for the first time but his response was that it would be something she has had many, many times. She did have cherries again at the party today. And what I've read said it would be a new food, within 24 hours. I remember going through this confusion with K because her reactions were delayed (runny nose and stomach upset vs rash) and I know there are basically several schools of thought when it comes to allergies. So I guess I'm just wondering - based on any experience or knowledge you might have - allergic reaction to cherries or illness???
image_zps64579b54.png

Comments

• Options
    cassafrascassafras Posts: 219
    edited November -1
    How long had it been since she had eaten the cherries when she first got hives? My sister started getting hives when she was 18 months old, and they are always followed by illness. She is 21 now and still gets them the day before an illness hits (not every time, but prob 50-60%). It took a while before the doctors could figure out that it is a reaction to illness and not allergies.
  • Options
    onmyownonmyown Posts: 300
    edited November -1
    I can't really speak about the allergies but I do know that my great niece and nephew both have had hives that came along when they would get high fevers. My nephew had some last week from what the doctors said was just a virus. He had no other symptoms and was cleared to return to daycare.
  • Options
    old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited November -1
    The heat probably brought out the hives again. One of my daughter has had them BAD---like visit to the ER bad---three times...once we could trace it back to avacado...the other two times we have no clue. They are so miserable. I hope L is feeling better.
  • Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited November -1
    I'm not much help even though Justin has had hives before. Here's the Dr. Sears page on rashes in children. He distinguishes between hives and other rashes, and doesn't link the two. He says that hives are an allergic reaction, and rashes can be linked to certain illnesses.

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/skin-care/rashes
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png
  • Options
    Shaeley MaeShaeley Mae Posts: 1,731
    edited July 2012
    Yes, L has had hives 3 times, and each time I took her to the Ped he said, "eh, they're a result of the little cold she has goin on". And while I trust her Ped completely, I still came home and Googled it because it just sounded weird :D
    As it turms out, a very large percentage of hives in children (I wanna say 80% ......?) are the result of minor illnesses. It's just the body kind of "over-reacting" if you will.
    The last time I took her in for hives (she had 6" welts on her thighs), he simply said that she'll probably get flare-ups when she sleeps (from her body heat) for the next few days, and to just give her a 1/2 tsp of children's Benadryl for any discomfort at that time. He was totally correct, and the Benadryl worked wonders (and made her sleepy ;) )
    IMG_0408-rs.jpgIMG_7844-rs.jpg