Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Tubes in the Ear

fischfisch Posts: 570 ✭✭
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
Anyone had this done on their child? We are on Em's 5th ear infection and are on our way to an ENT in the next month. I think we are headed in the direction of tubes, but don't know much about them, or the alternatives. I've heard it's a very simple procedure - I'm curious on other's experiences.
age.png

age.png

Comments

• Options
    cocobaycocobay Posts: 1,318
    edited November -1
    Have you thought about a chiropractor? I just went to my first visit and I'm hooked. It's a great natural alternative. Bronx will be getting his first adjustment in the next month, the benefits are so great. Definitely helps with ear infections, drainage, etc.
  • Options
    charcoaleyescharcoaleyes Posts: 864
    edited November -1
    My niece had them last year. She made it through this winter with no ear infections. And, she had no complications from the operation. In fact, because she had so much fluid on the ear, she was behind in talking b/c she heard everything like she was underwater. Once she had her surgery, her speech developed rapidly.
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    I had them as a child. One of my work friends delayed in proceeding with this option for her daughter and the child now has a 30% hearing loss in one ear. If you can treat with medicine, of course go that route first. If not, I would go with the tubes.
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes, we are worried about speech...she says some hard consonant sounds, but not any softer ones. we will ask if we can get a referral to a chiropractor.
    age.png

age.png
  • Options
    tc44latc44la Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My daughter had tubes when she was 1 after about a dozen ear infections. They were a godsend! She had no issues with the surgery. It probably took 5 minutes. She had a couple of infections after that, but it was so much better. They fell out shortly after she was 2 and that was that.

Good luck!
    Tara
  • Options
    blkbrd3blkbrd3 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Both my brother and I had tubes in our ears. I hated ear infecation. I thought they were the best thing ever once they were in. I got groovy custom ear plugs for baths, swim time, etc.

The one caution I have is to keep track of them. My tubes fell out on their own after a few years and a doctor confirmed it. Nine years later, that's the space between our ages, my brother's doctor "removed them" with a vacuum pump. The doc was wrong.

After several severe ear infections and percieved adult hearing loss, an ENT found the tubes still in my brother's head. The tubes had to be removed under general anesthetic. After removal and a sigificant cleaning my brother's hearing is almost perfect, one drum healed closed and the other still has a hole in it. He just has to be careful to avoid getting water into his perferated ear drum.

Although he had a tough time of it my brother is still in favor of tubes and is considering placing them in his daughter's ears.
  • Options
    Sunshine4BabySunshine4Baby Posts: 378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My son got them constantly and is allergic to most antibiotics - but my Doc is very into doing everything he can to prevent the child from having to get tubes because he says that they grow out of them anyways. He was put on a VERY low dose of an antibiotic called "Primsol" that he took every morning . Never had another ear infection and after 5 months we took him off ot and still hasnt had one in 2 years ! I am normally not into giving my son medication like that - but it was a life saver after 2 months of constant ear infections :)
  • Options
    cocobaycocobay Posts: 1,318
    edited November -1
    You do not have to have a referral to see a chiro, actually some doctors will tell you they do not believe in chiropractics. See if you can get recommendations from people you trust.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I need a referral if I want to try and get insurance to cover it.....
    age.png

age.png
  • Options
    Shaeley MaeShaeley Mae Posts: 1,731
    edited November -1
    My boss had them implanted for her daughter. Despite this effort, the ear infections did not stop until the child stopped sucking her thumb at night (7 years old).
    Has your Ped advised you to wean all pacifiers, bottles, thumbs when laying down? It's not a sure fix, but it could help ....?
    IMG_0408-rs.jpgIMG_7844-rs.jpg
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    Here is a reply I wrote on teh same question in October of 2010:

Well I obviously have a different thought process on this than everyone else who has commented and while it seems you have made a decision already I'd still like to offer the other side. I faced this decision with Kate last April. To be honest I would have cut off my right arm before putting my child under anesthesia, particularly at such a young age. It is just something that I feel very strongly about. I know that sounds dramatic but what I mean is that I would exhaust every possibility before I would resort to the tubes. In addition to not wanting to put her under I believe that many times the ear infection is simply a visible sign of an underlying/harder to detect health problem. I went to the ENT and of course he said she needed tubes. What else is he going to say, that I should seek out alternative treatment options? That's like me (a Nanny) telling my boss she should become a stay at home mom! Her hearing was not affected at all at that point and I knew that if I found an alternative treatment and carried it out to a T and quickly then we could avoid damaging her hearing. Kate had all of the factors that can lead to tubes - she has tiny ear canals making it difficult for them to drain properly when fliud does get in there, teething and allergies. Our first step was to a Chiropractor. I was not a believer in chirporactic care and certainly never thought I would take my toddler there. Mel recommeded one in our area so I felt better having another Mom refer me to someone. She was wonderful and when Kate continued to get sick initially she sent us to a more holistic pediatrician. She put Kate on an immune boosting regimen. When Kate turned 18 months we were finally able to to both Igg and Ige allergy testing to find out exactly what was going on and eliminate the offending foods from both of our diets. She was also taking an over the counter pill to repair the damage done to her stomach. I really had to do a lot of research to figure out how this all caused ear infections (in a nutshell the offending foods irritated the lining of her stomach which as an autoimmune response created more mucus which created the drainage that led to the constant ear infections). Add the small anatomy, teething, weak immune system, heredity (my father and I have had ear infections all our lives and I had tubes as a child) and she was a constant ear infection waiting to happen. I had to do a ton of research and spent so much time and money at the various appointments - but she has not had an infection since April. She has had colds and viruses that haven't lead to an ear infection and she has been able to be off of all of her immune boosting supplements for the last couple of months (although I plan to restart as winter approaches to prevent as much as I can). That was our experience with ear infections and I would do it all over again if I had to.

And here is a post I put up recently when you mentioned the constant illness in case you are interested in combining that with the chiropractic care about Kate's immune boosting supplements:

I have been meaning to post for a few days...since I read about you hiring a Nanny to hopefully help your LO get/stay healthier. I figured if you would go to such measures to help ensure her health you'd probably be up for any suggestions!

Anyway, we went through the ringer with Kate's health - reflux, allergies, ear infections, high fevers and just generally catching anything that was going around. She wasn't in day care and exclusively breast fed (and nursed for almost 3 years) but that all seemed for not! Around 17 months we were referred to an ENT who (of course) was recommending tubes. He was willing to admit that we could hold off and/or try alternatives to surgery. There was just no way I was putting my baby through an operation if I could possibly avoid it. My whole issue with the tubes, or that line of thinking is that you aren't actually solving the issue or addressing what is creating the problem. Her issues were allergies, genetics (my father and I both have had ear troubles including lots of infections), small anatomy (hard for drainage to actually drain) and a weekend immune system (most likely from her difficult birth). We started seeing a chiropractor as well as a more natural pediatrician and pursued allergy testing and diagnosis. Finally knowing for certain what she was allergic to after 18 months of second guessing everything was a huge relief. Over the course of time we stopped seeing the chiropractor and the pediatrician. She *seems" to have outgrown her allergies. The one thing that we have continued for the last 2 years though has been the immune boosting regimine that the doctor put her on to avoid the surgery. If you have any interest, here is what she takes. Some things we are able to get at whole foods but several we have had to get at health food stores and the like. I'm sure they are all available on countless websites as well. She was on mostly liquid versions initially and now is mostly pills she can chew. Daily she takes:
    colostrum: yes, they bottle it and yes she took this even when she was nursing frequently. She now takes a pill
    vitamin d: almost all of us are deficient in this and it is really important when it comes to our immune systems. She takes a pill daily but when she has a cold coming on I increase it by also giving her the liquid in her smoothie.
    dha: I didn't start this until she stopped nursing
    probiotic: she now takes 1/2 an adult pill
    At the first sign of allergies or a cold I add a couple of things to her smoothies (or OJ if she isn't in the mood for smoothies) and make sure she has them everyday for a few days. The 2 most important ones are briar rose and colloidal silver along with the vit d. There are a couple of others but honestly she's been doing so well I haven't restocked them so I'd have to look up the names if you are interested.

About 2 weeks ago we both started to get a cold. She took her usual supplements plus the 3 I just mentioned for 3 or 4 days (then we ran out). I got the cold full on but she never did.

I shudder to think of what I have spent on this stuff - I spend $50-$100 every time I go in the health market. But then I shudder to think what I would have spent on additional co pays, prescriptions etc. And she really and truly is healthier. I know that some of that is her body growing (her eustachian tubes were really small), learning how to blow her nose etc etc. BUT I really think that has made a huge impact on her health and I wanted to pass it along because I really feel for anyone who is going through the same thing with their infant! If you aren't interested, please disregard . If you have any questions I'd be happy to answer them!
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    TxMoms2BTxMoms2B Posts: 532
    edited November -1
    C has had recurrent ear infections since shortly after birth. He had everything against him: allergies (milk/soy protien intolerance), immature eustacian tubes, daycare, teething (towards the end there), poor family history on my part. I really considered chiropractic care and went so far as to call and talk to the few that seemed legit. I was wary of both options (tubes/chiro) and sat down to really think about it with my DP. For us, both solutions were just bandaids until he outgrew his allergies (13 months) or grew up a little (doc said usually around 2-3). While I hated putting him under anesthesia (he only had inhaled sedation, no iv) financially it made more sense since we had already met his deductible for the year. His tubes cost only $200 as opposed to monthly adjustments until whenever he was able to deal on his own. After 12 ear infections that got harder and harder to treat, C got tubes at 8 months. He has been fine since.
  • Options
    old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited November -1
    Several of my adopted and foster children have had to have tubes...hey they can work wonders. I think it is harder on mom the day of surgery to let them go...yes, even an old pro like me gets a few tears in my eyes... but it's fast..they will be back in the room by the time you get a cup of coffee.. and a couple hours in their room to recover and we were always sent home...maybe that day had the tylenol and didn't feel great but by the next day mine were off and running...Most of the kids that was it and a few others would have to have them replaced periodically...but they were my sickly ones anyway...it's a hard decision.
  • Options
    allthingsluckyallthingslucky Posts: 467
    edited November -1
    Ry was suppose to get tubes in her ears. She had ear infection after infection. I was terrified to put her under so I asked her doctor if there was anything else we could try first. She put her on a 2 month antibotic regimine. Her reasoning was that if she really did have issues with her ears, this would not help it. But if it did help it meant that she had an infection that wasnt getting kicked all the way. I forget what the doses were, but for 2 months straight I gave her the perscribed antibotics. Sure enough it cleared up the problem and she has never had an infection since.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What about equilibrium? Can ear infections affect balance? Over the last few days she has become extremely wobbly, and has the bruises on her face and body to prove it. She has always been brazen and wobbly to a certain degree, but I've noticed it getting worse rather than better as she progresses in her walking skills.
    age.png

age.png
  • Options
    TxMoms2BTxMoms2B Posts: 532
    edited November -1
    My son would definitely get more wobbly and it was even to the point where he'd hold his head to the effected side!
  • Options
    LindsayLindsay Posts: 201
    edited November -1
    Lily got tubes when she was 8 months old after having several ear infections and rounds of antibiotics..But to be honest..she got just as many afterwards..The tubes just drained it out...What worked for us was going dairyfree..she hasn't had one ear infection since...We had more issues with the tubes and I was bound and determined she wouldn't get them again..He(the ENT) wanted to do a 2nd set..I said no..they didn't work the first time why expect the 2nd to work..
    Lindsay xx
  • Options
    annerbonesannerbones Posts: 1,812
    edited November -1
    I am glad that this got brought back up. Maggie is going to have to have her tonsils and adenoids removed in the next few months and the ENT is testing to see if she needs Ear Tubes. In order for our insurance to cover the Ear Tubes it has to be life threatening. She has 6 ear infections or more each year (which he said was a lot) as well as at least 12 bouts of Strep throat - that have left her tonsils so large that they touch even when they are not infected.

Not looking forward to the surgery, but hoping that the surgery will help everything else.
    raF7m7.png
    Progesterone therapy and baby aspirin daily

Two miscarriages in between (August 2012 - same donor as Maggie, and December 2014 with husband)
    Maggie
    PNa0m7.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Our appt. with the ent is scheduled for 8/20. Em will also start her new daycare/school that day. She hasn't had an ear infection in awhile. I brought her to the dr. Yesterday with suspicions but she is just teething. I think having a nanny for the summer has really helped. I have loved loved loved having a nanny.
    age.png

age.png
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    We just went down this road with L. She has only had 3 infections (Dec, Feb and July) but the one in July didn't respond well to antibiotics and after trying 2 different oral ones she ended up needing 3 antibiotic shots. After is finally cleared (there was still fluid) we went to see an ENT. The first thing they always do is a hearing test. They couldn't do a portion of it because of the fluid still being there and the other part didn't go well because she was just done by then. The ent said her hearing was being affected, she needed tubes, it is a 4 minute procedure, yada yada. He was nice enough but very flip and never really mentioned any alternatives or wait and see options. I just relayed all the information to mom and assumed they'd take her in but she surprised me with some reservations to the surgery. So I jumped on that and we started some natural alternatives to try and clear the remaining congestion while we did some research. I found a place here that specializes (even more so than an ent) in this and we went in this week. We had another hearing test and met with a doctor. LOVED this guy. He basically said he wanted to wait and see since she has had 3 total, albeit one very nasty one in 7 months. He said the only hearing issues he could see were when she actually had the infections/fluid but that between infections she was able to clear it completely so the ears/eustachian tubes are still doing what they are meant to do (we always go back for re checks 2-3 weeks after infections are diagnosed). Anyway, he wants to see her in 3 weeks unless she gets a cold or any symptoms before then. We had the same situation with A, 2 different doctors with 2 different recomendations and we managed to avoid getting them for her. I'd always suggest a second opinion when it comes to something like this. We may well end up going ahead with them at some point for L but maybe not! If it would have been up to that first dr she would already have them.
    image_zps64579b54.png