Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

on the subject of reading -- Super Why (on Sprout)

Shaeley MaeShaeley Mae Posts: 1,731
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
Since "reading" has become a popular topic recently, I thought I'd share this fun learning show on Sprout TV.
The show is called Super Why, and it's a cartoon-based reading/letter identification show. I think it's fairly new to Sprout programming (but I could be wrong), and Lilianna just LOVES it.

Here's a link if anyone wants to learn more:

http://www.sproutonline.com/shows/super-why
IMG_0408-rs.jpgIMG_7844-rs.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ncmomstobencmomstobe Posts: 549
    edited November -1
    Our son loves this show! It does a good job with reading readiness skills like rhyming and letter recognition, and it is cute. I also love that the characters are all kind to one another.
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    Its been around for at least a few years. My niece was watching it before Kate was ready for it. Kate watches it on PBSKIDS.org and it is by far her favorite show. A month or 2 ago I heard her sounding something out and I thought "holy crap maybe kids can actually learn stuff from watching TV" ( something I firmly DO NOT believe - in any meaningful way that is). Anyway, I also know she is learning this at school so I waited and it went something like this though I am improvising because I don't remember the word (picture a 3 year old making the corresponding sounds) "B,B, A, A" (the word was BALL so I am about to be amazed riiiiight?). "B,B, A, A.....MAGIC!"! She was obviously mimicking very well and I was very entertained.

I love the show as does she. And she has gotten some great concepts from it that we can refer back to it - positive thinking, eating a balanced diet etc. Its a cute show for sure.
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    Shiloh watches this sometimes. I don't always like the stories/lessons they showcase, but I do like the reading lessons!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    michgirlmichgirl Posts: 406 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Super Why and Word World are my kids favorite TV shows! They have been on our PBS channel for a while now.
    f1xTJgw.jpgf1xTm5.png
  • Options
    cAtWmN84cAtWmN84 Posts: 462
    edited November -1
    its a favorite with my 2 as well :)
    yqOs9SZ.jpgyqOsm5.png
    Qkvimpd.jpgQkvim4.png
    dxnZweE.jpgdxnZm5.png
  • Options
    old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited November -1
    My son watched that. It is great. I was surprised how much he picked up from Sesame Street at a very young age too.
  • Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited November -1
    I'll have to check it out. I'm familiar with the website on pbskids.org, but not with the tv show.

If anyone else has the basic Direct TV package, they just added Sprout and Disney Junior for free (maybe because we lost so many channels due to the stalled negotiations with Viacom?). I'll have to DVR a few episodes and check it out.
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png
  • Options
    mommylovemommylove Posts: 1,582
    edited November -1
    It is already one or Sebastians favorites! Next to Elmo of course... :-)
    be422225-267e-4ff7-94c0-a8d5baf3176a_zpse0970fea.jpg
    October 2014

Dk5Zm7.png

22gfm7.png
  • Options
    fischfisch Posts: 570 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember my son being into these as well....somewhere along the way he switched to more story based tv and we have to monitor more carefully...for example he loves power rangers now and he is captured more by advertising, so spiderman is big with us....the super hero world has taken over our lives! His favorite educational show is wild kratts.
    age.png

age.png
  • Options
    rara-0313rara-0313 Posts: 115
    edited November -1
    Its on PBS kids here in Dc and Olive loves it, infact PBS kids is the only channel we watch!
  • Options
    yfnryfnr Posts: 418
    edited November -1
    There is a free PBS app that allows kids to play shows. Max loves watching PBS on the iPad and Super Why is his favorite. Between that and the Starfall app max already shows letter recognition and several letter sounds.
    Jamie
    Mommy to Twins plus One - donor 733
    DSC08654_zps76947225.jpg
  • Options
    sara291sara291 Posts: 1,042
    edited November -1
    I don't like that show to much though Z probably does. Overall he does not watch much. I do love Sid the Science kid though!