Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

what do you like about 3?

ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
edited July 2012 in Parenting and Life
I feel like we've been pretty hard on the 3 year olds lately (we sure have a lot of them around here). It is no doubt a very challenging year! But it has also been pretty amazing on many levels. Here are some of the things I have really enjoyed about the 3's (which I only have 4 1/2 months left of but who's counting!?!):

The memory and comprehension for things has reached an astounding level! I've seen this a million times of course with other peoples kids but when it is your own of course the amazement is always magnified! I am particularly excited about this because my memory is aweful so I look forward to having some to refer to on what happened when :).

Kate has always been helpful and independent but she's taken it to a whole new level as well which is so great to have an "extra set of hands". Other than the slicing, she is officially in charge of squeezing the orange juice for our weekend breakfasts now. I don't have to help her at all. Which is great because I was sick of buring the toast and over cooking the eggs while trying to do everything myself!

Kate was kind of a show off in the first 2 years - what with the early walking and talking before 1. Then the potty training and swimming before 2. 2-3 she was kind of......unimpressive, haha! It was a lot to live up to and as kids usually do she kind of plateaud. But the last several months I've seen things (there's a theme here) - go to another level and been impressed once again. I'm kidding of course she always impresses me!

What do you love about 3?
image_zps64579b54.png

Comments

• Options
    annerbonesannerbones Posts: 1,812
    edited November -1
    3 is my favorite age to work with, I love how not only are they independent but they can handle the independence most of the time. I love how verbal they become and can really start to grasp verbal communication. I love how much energy they have for playing, learning and teaching others.

I spent the last school year in a classroom of 3-5 year olds, the three year olds were so much fun for me, aside from everything I mentioned above - they have so much more knowledge and skills to acquire between 3 and 5 it is amazing to see their growth over the year.
    raF7m7.png
    Progesterone therapy and baby aspirin daily

Two miscarriages in between (August 2012 - same donor as Maggie, and December 2014 with husband)
    Maggie
    PNa0m7.png
  • Options
    babybabybabybaby Posts: 1,564
    edited November -1
    three-year-olds were always my favorite age to work with as a preschool teacher. they were beyond all the toddler garbage of pooping their pants (for the most part), drooling, biting, etc . . . they could communicate more easily, making them more sociable and "human." they were beyond all of that but they were still innocent and full of wonder and enthusiasm enough to not be sarcastic and snarky like kids as young as four can be. so yeah, that's what i loved about threes.
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    I love the snowball effect! Years ago I took developmental psych and learned about the brain and neurons and dendrites and all that. And how kids develop personality and are hardwired for language and cognition between age 2-5. And Now I'm seeing it for real. Every new thing that Shiloh learns has a million tangents. Of course some go a little askew. But those are fun too!

I also love the affection. There's nothing sweeter than your child saying "mommy, I love you" just because she does :)
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    friendamyfriendamy Posts: 588
    edited July 2012
    as much as I've complained - I loved the questions and seeing how his mind works - why is school here? who built it? how did they build it? is it wood? can I see inside it? can you build a school out of cement? what if it was bigger than our house?

I love it! :)

he's 5 now so there's much different questions... but yeah, at 3 he was thinking everything through... and wanted to ask everyone questions LOL the guard at his school got a bunch of questions - do you have a weapon? can you take it home? can I see it? where's your badge? do you go to my school? where do you park your car?
    Amy (39)
    DS (7) - d#470
    Boy, n.: a noise with dirt on it.

age.png
  • Options
    lesrmhlesrmh Posts: 654
    edited November -1
    We have only been 3 for 5 days and there is nothing I like right now...hahahahaaha!!!!!! It can only get better...right??
  • Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited July 2012
    I had to really watch for a few days to come up with my response to this question! Some of the things I like are that every negative thing does have a positive twist. A lot of his issues are because he's becoming more independent and more verbal. He's able to tell me what he wants, how he feels, etc. And other issues are because he wants more cuddling, one-on-one time with me. Last night I let him stay up with me after Juliet went to bed for an extra hour because we hadn't had a good chance to talk and cuddle all day.

I also enjoy hearing him try to explain himself with a 3 year old perspective. At the end of each day, I ask him about his favorite thing that happened all day, and his least favorite. Last night he was telling me an elaborate story about the best thing being visiting the pigs that morning. We hadn't visited any pigs, so I was completely perplexed, and kept insisting we had gone to daycare in the morning. After he went to bed, I remembered that we had watched a new tv show yesterday (I meant to DVR Super Why! but DVR'd Word World instead), and the main character was a pig and all the other animals were farm animals. That's what he'd been trying to explain all along . . . that he'd liked the new tv show that we'd watched that night.

And at least once every few days I wish I was keeping a journal of what he does and says, because he would get such a riot out of it later. Like the other day we were working on math skills, and I asked him, "If mommy has two eyes, and Justin has two eyes, and Juliet has two eyes, how many eyes do we all have?" and he responded, "Enough." I mean, stuff like that goes on here all the time and I wish I had thought to start writing down the little stuff after the first year . . . good and bad, so that when he has kids, he knows what to expect, especially since my mom isn't around anymore to answer questions about what it was really like, what I was like, if this is normal behavior, etc. Who knows what my memory will be like in 20 years? :P
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I also read in one of my parenting magazines that kids will often tell a story (a lie) about something they wish would happen and not what actually happened at this age. It's not lying because they really mean to say, "I wish I lived in a treehouse" instead of "I live in a treehouse," but they just don't know the difference yet. I thought he was lying/wishing!
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    Well Kari - that is NOT good news for me since Kate tells stories all day every day about her "Daddy" :(
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    2moms2moms Posts: 731 ✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Wait.....3 is worse than 2?!?!? C is driving me CRAZY daily! At least I have something to "look forward too".
    Shanny wrote:
    Well Kari - that is NOT good news for me since Kate tells stories all day every day about her "Daddy" :(

Kate and C could keep each other company. The FedEx man was delivering a stroller a few weeks ago and as I opened the door C yelled "DADDY!". Then a few days later we got pizza delivered and he yelled "Hi Daddy!!!" to the very young driver. DP told the delivery man..."Don't worry I'm sure your not his Daddy" :)
    Pzl2m5.png
    LNiUm5.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    When Justin's upset, he'll ask for daddy as well, crying out, "Mommy . . . Daddy . . . Mommy . . . Daddy!" I think there was a kid at daycare who would do that when he was upset, which is interesting because three of the boys don't have two parents (two don't have moms & Justin doesn't have a dad) so I could narrow down pretty quickly who he picked that up from!
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png
  • Options
    melmel Posts: 793
    edited July 2012
    "You are only my Mommy. I love you and I like you and you are my best friend."

("only MY Mommy" is something they say when they're trying to express that they are my only child. ;) )
    Jjr6m5.png
  • Options
    roses25roses25 Posts: 567
    edited November -1
    I've been meaning to add to this. Even though Aiden has really been testing the rules lately, there are many things I love about 3 years old.

*I love that he gives me a hug, kiss, or says I love you because he does without me suggesting he hugs, kisses, or says I love you.

*I love that he can be somewhat independent such as getting a snack out of the cupboard, going potty by himself, etc.

*My favorite of all is he has started giving me a little toy and saying, "Mommy, here is a present for you for being such a good mommy."

Carolyn
    EBD822A6-1848-4872-A55B-C1ED22646371_zpsufz2fxda.jpeg
    schm94df60emqyke.png
    lazxi8i3cso8qa7m.png
    lfngmjscscvr4zbw.png