Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

What would you do?

KariKari Posts: 1,765
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
Okay, awkward situation at my son's daycare. When I drop him off, I give him a hug and a kiss goodbye. During the school year I drop him off very early, and there's only one other little boy there. Justin and he have play dates, live two miles apart, have been in daycare together for 2.5 years, and I'm friends with his guardians (grandparents). Anyway, this boy sometimes asks for a kiss when I give Justin a kiss, so I give him a kiss on the forehead or top of the head because our families have grown close and I see him as more than a "daycare buddy." Plus, he really doesn't have a mom in his life any more, so I don't mind giving him a little extra attention (he used to try to call me mom to test out the word, like Justin tested out "daddy" on his grandfather).

Now that it's summer, when I drop Justin off everyone is there. When the second boy asks for a kiss, all of a sudden the other kids do, too. This has happened about five or six times now. There are about 6 other 2 & 3 year olds. I don't know; I would feel a little weird either way if I were other parents. If Justin asked another parent for a hug or a kiss, I'm not sure whether I'd feel comfortable either way (with him being rejected, or with him receiving a kiss from another parent). Today the daycare provider sensed my hesitation and suggested I blow kisses.

What would you do if you were me? How would you feel if you were the other kids' parents?
100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
r9vOm4.png
Ri4Gm4.png

Comments

• Options
    Klt86Klt86 Posts: 567
    edited November -1
    Aw lol that's tricky. That age is cute. I like the blowing kisses idea. Maybe turn it into a game and see if they'll pretend to "catch" them. Hopefully any parent will have been in a similar awkward situation and would understand either way. Having seen kids do this thing I can say as a parent I wouldn't feel weird if another parent hugged my kid. Kissing might weird me out but only because of germs, not for any other reason. Idk actually- I guess if it were a MOM I'd be ok with it but not a dad. That's an awful double standard, I know.
  • Options
    annerbonesannerbones Posts: 1,812
    edited November -1
    Maybe, when they ask for a kiss - say Kisses are saved for family members but I can give you a hug. Then instead of kissing little buddy give him a hug.
    raF7m7.png
    Progesterone therapy and baby aspirin daily

Two miscarriages in between (August 2012 - same donor as Maggie, and December 2014 with husband)
    Maggie
    PNa0m7.png
  • Options
    sara291sara291 Posts: 1,042
    edited November -1
    I would suggest giving the good bye hug & kiss before coming in the door. I use to warn Z 2 kisses & 2 hugs so that he knew what to expect. If it were Z he would be fine & probably like that & then do hi-fives to anyone who wants one. I would not really feel comfortable doing that either & am not sure how I would feel if another did it to R.
  • Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the suggestion to make it into a game and blow kisses. That sounds great.
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    I like the blow kisses idea too. Or you can kiss your palm and then pat a child's head and repeat for each so they're each getting their own special kiss. I'm not all that fond of physically hugging and kissing when it's not children that are known to you. There's nothing wrong with your interaction. But it promotes a sense of familiarity that shouldn't be there at a time when children are learning to distinguish friends and family and trusted acquaintances from strangers.
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    lolabellolabel Posts: 99
    edited November -1
    I'd just kiss them all. That's what happens at my daughter's daycare, and I'm happy for the other parents to kiss my child.
    Mother to a 4 year old who has changed my whole world for the better!
  • Options
    babybabybabybaby Posts: 1,564
    edited November -1
    blowing kisses for them to catch as a game is a great idea! also, i think maybe giving the hug and kiss outside the door, as sara291 suggested, might save you that trouble, too. i agree that you can't just kiss everyone's kids (not just because of the awkward factor, but the time it would take).
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    PS -- if it's the attention and positive interaction the kids are seeking, you could make a game of shaking hands with each child or doing high-fives to each.
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png