Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Another 3yr question

smartycat92smartycat92 Posts: 564
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
Ray has been a pretty pleasant 3yr old. The one thing he has been doing that is mind numbing is that when he breaks down and has a fit, he repeats the same word over and over and over and over again. As an example, the one day he poked DP in the eye. It really hurt her and I yelled pretty loud and lightly slapped his hand and said "we don't poke people!". He then proceeded to cry and say the word "poke" every second for 30 minutes (probably less but it seemed like an eternity). We tried correcting him ("no poke"), we tried ignoring him. We tried reasoning with him. We tried empathizing with him. Nothing worked... and then the dryer buzzed and he said "clothes are done" and he magically stopped.

He mostly does it when he is tired and I'm not even mad or that annoyed that he is doing it. I just feel bad that I can't redirect him. So any suggestions on how to redirect him? I feel like he gets "emotionally" stuck when he does this and if I could help him express himself better he might calm down sooner and I also wouldn't have to listen to the same word a million times.
. 0vthk9cno.png
20137aff-9c20-4097-91b7-ac919c10954f_zpsd88d3a6c.jpg
o4bd1nxgy.png

Comments

• Options
    ncmomstobencmomstobe Posts: 549
    edited November -1
    Our son occasionally does the same thing, although he's more likely to do it with complete sentences- "But I want chips! I want chips! I want chips!..." We make him take a break in his room if it lasts too long. We ask him to stop, tell him if he doesn't he will have to take a break, and then we follow through. Not that it has curtailed the issue, but it does help.
  • Options
    Sunshine4BabySunshine4Baby Posts: 378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My son is turning 3 tomorrow and does the same thing on occasion with the same sentence :(
  • Options
    melmel Posts: 793
    edited November -1
    This reminded me that one of my girls went through that stage, also. The more we tried to correct/empathize/talk to her, the worse it got. The only thing that worked was ignoring it, though the first few times we told her we couldn't understand her when she talked/whined like that, but would love to help her if she used her words. I remember how frustrating it was, but the phase did end fairly quickly. It seemed to work best if we found something relatively fun to do with the others, because she'd get over it quickly.
    Jjr6m5.png