Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Are you wondering if your child is dev. normal? Try this

annerbonesannerbones Posts: 1,812
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
So, occasionally I see posts asking if a behavior is normal and it is hard to tell what is normal for that child since I don't personally know that child. The link I am providing below is a link to a screening called the ASQ - Ages and Stages Questionnaire. This screening is age specific and by inputting your child' birthday it will select the correct assessment and ask you specific questions regarding your child. This screening is Norm-referenced- (compares a child’s abilities to other children of the same age group).

You can start using this screening when your child is 1 month old and it screens children through the age of 5 1/2 years. This screening is used in Head Starts and Pediatrician Offices. It is often the first screening a child has done if their preschool teacher, doctor or other professional has a question about your childs development.

I have personally been using this screening tool since Maggie was about 5 months old, I was searching for developmentally appropriate activities to do with her. At the end of the screening they will give you a .pdf file of activities to do with your child. If they find your child is not developing appropriately they will contact you via email (if you enter it) and assist you in finding resources in your area to help your child. Answer the questions honestly try the activities listed in the questions with your child before you answer them.

This is a great tool to have in your tool belt. :)

http://asqoregon.com/
raF7m7.png
Progesterone therapy and baby aspirin daily

Two miscarriages in between (August 2012 - same donor as Maggie, and December 2014 with husband)
Maggie
PNa0m7.png

Comments

• Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited July 2012
    I think you should include the information that this is actually participating in an ongoing research study. It's not just babycenter/com or one of those type of magazine or news websites. This is volunteering to include demographic information about your family and your child's development into a major piece of research. There's nothing wrong with that, just good to know what you're getting yourself into.
    Also, because it is in the research and development stage and is Oregon-based, there may be limited help with accessing services in areas outside of that state.
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    annerbonesannerbones Posts: 1,812
    edited November -1
    You are right K&H, it is Oregon based, but so far for friends I have referred to it out of state the University has helped find resources.

I assume that the demographics information part of it is the least of our worries. The questions are basic (these are the required ones) and don't get any more personal than: Child's DOB, Was your child premature, did they weigh less than 3lbs, 5 oz., level of mothers education, mothers age at birth, yearly family income, and zip code.

The screening is beyond research into the screening, my understanding is they are researching whether this kind of screening accessed online is effective.

The study is through the University of Oregon, which is where I believe this screening developed.

I am not involved in this program in any way other than using the screening tool on my child and on my students.

Here is their consent form:

Dear Parents,

You are invited to participate in a research study that will investigate the use of an online developmental questionnaire to help families check their child's development and, if needed, access services in their community

If your child is between birth and 5 1/2 years she/he can participate in the study. If you decide to participate you will complete one or two questionnaires about your child's development and you will be asked to supply some background information on your family such as education and ethnic group. The questionnaire and background information will take about 10-30 minutes to complete.

All your responses will remain anonymous unless you instruct our team to get in touch with you regarding questionnaire responses. Your name will not appear anywhere on the questionnaire (unless you indicate it on hard copy version). Websites are secure and password protected to ensure participant confidentiality. Upon submission, answers are sent directly to the researcher with random identification number that is created when you submit the consent form. The identification number provides anonymity of data stored on a separate, secure database. Your email address will only be used to respond to your requests. This database is secure and password protected, accessible only to the researchers on this project. Any identifying information connected to your computer (IP address) will not be recorded at any time. In addition, all data will be analyzed according to groups rather than by individual case.

There are benefits involved for participants and for humanity in general. An accurate screening tool for development may improve the quality of life for some children by providing referral information for further assessment and early intervention services in a timely manner. Participants will be provided a contact email and phone number to discuss any concerns related to their child's development.

If you have any questions regarding the research, contact Jane Squires at (541) 346.2634. You may also reach us at the Early Intervention Program, University of Oregon, 5253 University of Oregon, Eugene, OR 97403-5253. If you have any questions regarding your rights as a research subject, please contact Research Compliance Services at 541.346.2510. Thank you for your help.

Submitting this form indicates that you have read and understand the information provided above, that you willingly agree to participate, that you may withdraw your consent at any time and discontinue participation at any time without penalty, and that you are not waiving any legal claims, rights or remedies.

You may save this consent form and print for your records here.

Sincerely,

Jane Squires, Ph.D.
    Ages and Stages Questionnaire Project

*The principal investigator, Dr. Squires, is one of the authors of the ASQ, and the assessment is commercially available and published through Brookes Publishing Company, Inc.
    raF7m7.png
    Progesterone therapy and baby aspirin daily

Two miscarriages in between (August 2012 - same donor as Maggie, and December 2014 with husband)
    Maggie
    PNa0m7.png
  • Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited November -1
    I did it with Justin. It was interesting to see what is typical for a 35-38 month old child to do or know how to do. It brought some concerns up (he holds a pencil incorrectly and is not great at self-feeding with a spoon) but the screening said his fine motor skills were fine. I filled out the social/emotional section honestly and it said he might have some developmental issues there, but it sounds from what people have written on here that the 3-year old "phase" is typically difficult. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to seek out professional help regarding that, but I might bring up a few points at his next physical to his doctor.
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png